What armplate do I need?

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
I think i'm finally pulling the trigger, next week, and buying the Tonearm, DC motor and PSU that I need to get my Gyrodec working.

My Gyro has a Rega armplate and I think i'm going to get a Tecnoarm A. Is the armplate compatible with the arm?

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
bretty:
I think i'm finally pulling the trigger, next week, and buying the Tonearm, DC motor and PSU that I need to get my Gyrodec working.

My Gyro has a Rega armplate and I think i'm going to get a Tecnoarm A. Is the armplate compatible with the arm?

Woohoo!! about time Bretty!

The brilliant TechnoArm will fit directly onto you armboard no problemo as long as its not the latest 3 point rega fixing armboard (which it probably isn't)

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
mitch65:bretty:

You ain't kidding!!!

Honestly, I was going to put the Gyrodec on the back-burner, because I need to buy a drum kit ASAP and it's gonna cost a large chunk of money. But, I picked up a new contract this week, so I can afford to get both now.

I'll finally see that beautiful platter, with it's brass weights inderneath, spinning!

Has your Tecnoarm turned up yet?

bretty:

Yes it should drop straight in as long as its not the latest 3 point fitting as previously mentioned.

Good for you. I see you got your second Exposure power amp too eh?

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
bretty:mitch65:bretty:

You ain't kidding!!!
emotion-12.gif

Well done on the new contract, by the way, finally gonna get those gold weights spinning. Have you been down to Little Common yet?

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Alears:bretty:

Yes it should drop straight in as long as its not the latest 3 point fitting as previously mentioned.

Good for you. I see you got your second Exposure power amp too eh?

Cheers, fellas. I've looked at it and it seems i'm all good. There's only three holes in the armplate which match up to the anchor points on the sub-frame of the gyro. Like this, but without the four small holes around the centre:

Alears, I haven't got the second super VIII yet. Still haven't manged to source one. I'm still sniffing about, though!

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
mitch65:bretty:mitch65:bretty:

You ain't kidding!!!
emotion-12.gif

Well done on the new contract, by the way, finally gonna get those gold weights spinning. Have you been down to Little Common yet?

I'll be getting mine from Analogue seduction. Hopefully I don't have to wait as long as you for it! You must be getting frustrated.

I haven't been to the Little Common store, yet, but i'm in Bexhill on Tuesday so i'll try and stop in between jobs. What's it like for prices?

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
Bretts. Unless you are getting the tecno on the never never. Ring Ian Harrison HiFi and save yourself a fair amount of moolah. I bang on about this guy now and again but he slaughters everyone price wise.

Oh yeah,wanna buy a huge drum kit, cheap. Does this count as trading ?

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
floyd droid:

Bretts. Unless you are getting the tecno on the never never. Ring Ian Harrison HiFi and save yourself a fair amount of moolah. I bang on about this guy now and again but he slaughters everyone price wise.

Oh yeah,wanna buy a huge drum kit, cheap. Does this count as trading ?

I've given Ian a call and he's gonna get back to me with a price.

Thanks for the offer, matey, but i've already got a kit in mind:

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
bretty:mitch65:bretty:mitch65:bretty:

You ain't kidding!!!
emotion-12.gif

I'll be getting mine from Analogue seduction. Hopefully I don't have to wait as long as you for it! You must be getting frustrated.

I haven't been to the Little Common store, yet, but i'm in Bexhill on Tuesday so i'll try and stop in between jobs. What's it like for prices?

Well I've had about 30 or so from his £1 selection and I've only had one midly duff (not the beer) one, the rest were all very good to excellent. generally he seems cheaper than lock-up rock down the road from you but to be fair he has a bigger choice.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
floyd droid:Will be interesting to see what he wants price wise.
Yeah, it will. Analogue Seduction have knocked £50 off the retail and have it up for £425. Be nice if he beats it.

What's he like with delivery times, FD?

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
bretty:
Yeah, it will. Analogue Seduction have knocked £50 off the retail and have it up for £425. Be nice if he beats it.

Getting mine for £419.00 (cheapest I could find), delivery times will probably be similar to mine unless you are lucky enough to find someone with one in stock

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
bretty:

Sorry for delay Bretts.

Well if he can get his mitts on what you want he is pretty damn quick. A lot of carts for instance he keeps in stock. I guess that you are aware he only deals in cheques or bank transfer ?. Well unless he has shifted the goal posts lately.

Gary at Analogue is a good guy Bretts but money is money so if Ian comes up trumps i would go with it. Playing 'can you beat so and so's price tennis' is bad form imo*.

* always assuming you have already had a personal quote from Gary.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
floyd droid:bretty:

Sorry for delay Bretts.

Well if he can get his mitts on what you want he is pretty damn quick. A lot of carts for instance he keeps in stock. I guess that you are aware he only deals in cheques or bank transfer ?. Well unless he has shifted the goal posts lately.

Gary at Analogue is a good guy Bretts but money is money so if Ian comes up trumps i would go with it. Playing 'can you beat so and so's price tennis' is bad form imo*.

* always assuming you have already had a personal quote from Gary.

You weren't wrong about Ian, mate. He had one TecnoArm left in stock, in silver (which is what I want). Brand new, delivered £385. He said he could rush it out to me now, for an extra £12, if not it'll be here next weekend. Nice! Right, just the motor and PSU to get and i'm in business!

It is still cheque or bank transfer, with him, BTW.

Thanks for the top tip, me ol' matey!

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
No probs Bretts. Ive used Ian a fair few times. As for Carts he is the mutts doodahs price wise anaw. Nice drum kit by the way,pity its girl sized,lol. Mine has 6 mounted toms 8/10/12/13/14/16 and a 16 floor. 22 bass. Boat loads of cymbals/ stands/spare heads etc. Oh yeah and a rack of roto toms. Yup just a tiny set up, for girls.
emotion-5.gif

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
floyd droid:Mine has 6 mounted toms 8/10/12/13/14/16 and a 16 floor. 22 bass. Boat loads of cymbals/ stands/spare heads etc. Oh yeah and a rack of roto toms. Yup just a tiny set up, for girls.
emotion-5.gif

That's quite a set up, young man! I'm guessing you're a metal drummer? what make is it? You got any piccies? I'd love to see it.

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
bretty:
That's quite a set up, young man! I'm guessing you're a metal drummer? what make is it? You got any piccies? I'd love to see it.

Young man eh. Im getting to like your style more and more each day Bretts,lol.

Sorry buddy i dont have any photos but its an old Sonor S Class Pro.

Metal drummer !! Jeez i would need a lie down after ten mins. Nah think more Chester Thompson when Genesis were touring in their prime. Actually, after some thought, ive decided im keeping it now, although i dont play much these days, too flippin idle.

Metal, dugga dugga dugga dugga, no ta not for me but each to their own.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
floyd droid:bretty:

Young man eh. Im getting to like your style more and more each day Bretts,lol.

Sorry buddy i dont have any photos but its an old Sonor S Class Pro.

Metal drummer !! Jeez i would need a lie down after ten mins. Nah think more Chester Thompson when Genesis were touring in their prime. Actually, after some thought, ive decided im keeping it now, although i dont play much these days, too flippin idle.

Metal, dugga dugga dugga dugga, no ta not for me but each to their own.

Does it look like this? (fat bloke not included)

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
Pretty much Bretts. If my memory serves me the finish is grained maple. I use an Ahead 14x6 snare, flippin loud sucker that one. Matey has about the same amount of cymbals as me although ive moved a fair few on. I tend to mix cymbals although my preference is Paiste Sigs if im pushed. Got a few fairly old Zildjians which are for my retirement fund, hopefully ,lol. Years ago i played Premier resonators, whopping great tubs for toms back then.

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
Back on topic now. Bretts did your gyro come with the armboard support pillars cos if not your gonna need some. But either way if it did i would dump em and buy a de-coupling kit. Yup the wallet dept gets another walloping,lol. You get a vastly superior way of mounting the arm board, i.e you dont have to faff around bodging the fixing bolts through the spacers, for starters. Also you may find, depending on cart, that you will be at the full extent of the tecno's pillar height/fixing adjusment thread when you set vta. Not a problem. If i remember correctly the standard pillar height in the kit is around 12 mm or so but Mich do a longer version of around 15mm. If you find one day that you need these. Dont buy em,phone mich and they will send you a set foc, if you ask sweetly
emotion-5.gif

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
When you said the de-coupling kit would give my wallet a walloping, I thought you were talking a £100 or so. So, nice surprise to find that it's only £18! I've just ordered one.

You're full of top tips, FD. Kepp 'em coming!

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
I aint finished yet Bretts,lol, not by a country mile. Yup 18 quid isnt so bad but it all mounts up at the end of the day. Ive not even broached carts and phonos yet. Get saving buddy.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Your mission, Floyd droid, should you choose to accept it, is to empty Bretty's pockets.

I've got a Denon DL-103 to go on it, for starters. I've heard it comes very close to the Benz Micro Ace, for SQ, but costs £300 less. I got mine from my dealer mate, with less than 50 hours on it, for £50.

When it comes to phonos, my Exposure VII phono stage really is stunningly good. It's a Farlowe-era Pre-amp, and he really put a lot of emphasis on having a quality phono stage. I'd love you all to hear it: it makes my lowly current TT sound beautiful, I can only imagine what the Gyro is going to sound like through it. Also, I'm using MM cart now, but Farlowe really designed the phono stage to be used with a MC, so I should have a jump in performance when I chuck the Denon on. I've got some good listening ahead of me

I've heard that to better the Phono in my pre, i'd have to spend £1000+. Which is nice.

So, I doubt i'll be upgrading the phono, but I'll defo be open to hearing suggestions on cart upgrades, matey!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts