What are your best albums of 2017

• Thread starter QuestForThe13thNote
  • Start date
Q

QuestForThe13thNote

anyone want to share new albums released in 2017 that have really got them going and not just average albums to you. I tried this on another forum but it wasn't that well taken up.

Ive heard some fantastic ones including public Service broadcasting (every valley), Juanita steine (America), Japanese Breakfast, Tosca ( going going going), alt j (relaxer) etc. The new Beck album to come.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

thanks for saying. I'll check them out and let you know what I think.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

The first ones ok but a bit lacking in originality for me. But the second one, one of those genres I wouldn't ever listen to, just never does anything for me.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

Know what you mean by alt j. A lot have said that but the track 3ww on the relaxer album is sublime. About 4/5 good tracks on that album I thought. The af album is quite nice and poppy.

Didn't really like sun kil moon. Sorry. Have been listening to 'big thief' capacity, and a new 'late night tales' compilation album for badbadnotgood. The royksopp late night tales album I particularly like with loads of synths.

emcc_3

Feb 20, 2008
Visit site
My faves so far this year

Jane Weaver- Modern Kosmology

Girlpool- Powerplant

War on Drugs- A Deeper Understanding

Public Service Broadcasting- Every Valley

Bonobo- Migration

Big Thief- Capacity

Waxahatchee- Out in the storm

Miranda Lee Richards- Existential Beast

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

These are my favourites from me as a list

1) Mike Oldfield ommadawn 2, was quite good

2) leftfield leftism 22 some good remixes and remastered original.

3) elbow - little fictions

4) thievery corporation - the temple of i and i, reggae album

5) public Service broadcasting - every valley. I just love this especially some of the vocal tracks

6) arcade Fire - everything now

7) alt j - relaxer. 3ww great track

8)tosca - going going going

9) Juanita Stein - America , lovely melodies

10) Japanese breakfast - soft sounds from another planet, some lovely melodies too

11) cigarettes after sex - cigarettes after sex, lovely dreamed synthey pop with some great vocals and written melodies.

12) late night tales - badbadnotgood

13) fleet foxes - crack up

14) kraftwerk - 3D

Will have to check some of these other ones out. I know bonobo from Brighton near me, but stopped buying their stuff a while back. Public Service broadcasting every valley is a fab album and one of the best this year I think, but Toscas new album is probably my favourite.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

knaithrover said:
Flaming Lips : Oczy Mlody

Huge return to weird proggy psych form imo, looking forward to new LCD Soundsystem aswell

when does the LCD soundsystem album come out, out of interest?

knaithrover

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
QuestForThe13thNote said:
These are my favourites from me as a list

1) Mike Oldfield ommadawn 2, was quite good

2) leftfield leftism 22 some good remixes and remastered original.

3) elbow - little fictions

4) thievery corporation - the temple of i and i, reggae album

5) public Service broadcasting - every valley. I just love this especially some of the vocal tracks

6) arcade Fire - everything now

7) alt j - relaxer. 3ww great track

8)tosca - going going going

9) Juanita Stein - America , lovely melodies

10) Japanese breakfast - soft sounds from another planet, some lovely melodies too

11) cigarettes after sex - cigarettes after sex, lovely dreamed synthey pop with some great vocals and written melodies.

12) late night tales - badbadnotgood

13) fleet foxes - crack up

14) kraftwerk - 3D

Will have to check some of these other ones out. I know bonobo from Brighton near me, but stopped buying their stuff a while back. Public Service broadcasting every valley is a fab album and one of the best this year I think, but Toscas new album is probably my favourite.

Really liked the Japanese Breakfast album. Just listening to Public Service Broadcasting can't believe I missed it, v v good

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

I've been listening to Jane weaver, the amber light, which was mentioned above. Added to tidal playlist.

yes the psb album is exquisite and the track 'you and me' is very good (with Lisa Jen Brown). Also the way the album goes through rise, mechanisation and fall in the mining industry. Very clever, so the track 'progress' has a synth sound to replicate robots. I also love the quirkiness much the same way Lemon jelly used to overdub spoken passages. The line 'there is more to mining than dust and dirt' for example.

the race for space album a few years back by psb, is also very good.

juanita stein is a very good album too, country / folk Americana feel.

jjbomber

QuestForThe13thNote said:
anyone want to share new albums released in 2017 that have really got them going and not just average albums to you. I tried this on another forum but it wasn't that well taken up.

It's been a bad year for me for new albums.

Rival Sons - Nothing New

Blues Pills - Nothing new

Raveneye - Nothing new

Dan Patlansky - Nothing new (new album due Feb 2018)

Serenity - Nothing new yet (new album ''Lionheart'' due October 27th)

Skam - Nothing new yet (new album ''The Amazing Memoirs Of Geoffrey Goddard'' due 17th November)

THE WINNER IS: Greta van Fleet - Black Smoke Rising. Only a 4 track debut EP, but this is the future of rock and roll.

Now the real bad news: tours. Rival Sons supported Black Sabbath, Blues Pills are supporting Black Star Riders, Raveneye are supporting Bush, Dan Patlansky is supporting Joanne Shaw Taylor, Serenity are supporting Xandria and Skam are supporting Voodoo Six. So the only headliners are Greta Van Fleet and their tickets are sold out and going for a 500% mark up.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Not many new albums for me this year. Just enjoying what I've already got. The only proper 'new' album is Automaton by Jamiroquai. Mostly good songs here but a few duffers too which is rare for JayKay.

The only other new album in my collection is Massive Attack's Blue Lines. Not really new I know but apart from the track Unfinished Sympathy I'd never heard it before (and before you ask: no I haven't been living under a rock ;) ). A gem of a album.

Apart from those two the only other new music has been a few single tracks added to already existing albums/compilations/playlists.

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
Not many new albums for me this year. Just enjoying what I've already got. The only proper 'new' album is Automaton by Jamiroquai. Mostly good songs here but a few duffers too which is rare for JayKay.

The only other new album in my collection is Massive Attack's Blue Lines. Not really new I know but apart from the track Unfinished Sympathy I'd never heard it before (and before you ask: no I haven't been living under a rock ;) ). A gem of a album.

Apart from those two the only other new music has been a few single tracks added to already existing albums/compilations/playlists.
Congratulations on finding blue lines. A life unfulfilled without this. Class album.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Charlie Dore, Dark Matter

Elbow, Little Fictions

Fleet Foxes, Crack- Up

This is the Kit, Moonshine Freeze

Tina Bridgman, Halcien Breeze

Looking forward to The National's new album soon.

Mac

www.realmusicnet.wordpress.com

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
In think my favourite album of 2017 so far is Sky Wont Fall by Stevie Nimmo, blues rock par excellence.

Now I know blues rock is not the most original genre and can be a bit samey, but I love it and Stevie Nimmo is a superb exponent of it. Also, fantastic live too.

I'm also taken with Robin Trower's latest Time and Emotion. He's hit on an even more low key, and understated groove as he's moved into his 70's but his playing is as wonderful as ever, albeit nowhere near as spiky as his 1970's output.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

Blue lines probably the best massive attack album for me, up there with protection. If you want another oldy but also newey this year and remastered with some mixed tracks, leftism 22 is fantastic. But leftism would be not one to miss too.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Macspur said:
Charlie Dore, Dark Matter

Elbow, Little Fictions

Fleet Foxes, Crack- Up

This is the Kit, Moonshine Freeze

Tina Bridgman, Halcien Breeze

Looking forward to The National's new album soon.

Mac

First listen to the new National albumSleep Well Beast and a bit disappointed, will give it another go.

Mac

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts