What are you watching?

Page 72 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

WayneKerr

Edit: Thought I'd seen the Japan series but I hadn't so did a binge watch this week. It's okay but he's a bit of a kn*b in it so not really my cup of tea, and at times found him rather condescending... maybe this is an Amazon requirement. I have much preferred him in some of his other programmes.
Did a binge watch of some episodes of James May in Italy yesterday... much better, very funny indeed :) (y)

Reactions: 12th Monkey
Watched it too, very good. Definitely a national treasure... we have so many in this small country.
Indeed. Like many guys around my age we fell in love with Purdey -- she's still very good looking.

Mrs. P met Ms Lumley when she worked for a local charity - Joanna is a patron of this charity.

Mrs. P said there was no snobbiness, no "do you know who I am...?" Very natural, very down to earth.

Most definitely a national treasure

Reactions: WayneKerr
This week's documentary about Deborah James, who was diagnosed with incurable bowel cancer at 35. She devoted the next five years to family and to raising awareness that delaying getting checked out when symptoms occur can mean the difference between survival and not. Hadn't heard of her before, but a touching tale, brimming with honesty and humour.

Looking forward to Inside No.9 returning next week, though I read that this is the penultimate series. They will end after series 9, appropriately enough. A shame, but Shearsmith and Pemberton hope to do specials and have other joint plans.

That’s nice to know, the wife and I both like their surreal, black humour.
I've never ceased to be amazed by their inventiveness, cleverness and the wealth of acting talent the series has attracted. Do you have any favourites? Mine would include:

The 12 Days of Christine.
Bernie Clifton's Dressing Room.
Wise Owl.
The Trial of Elizabeth Gadge.
Death be not Proud.
Misdirection.

But they are all great, and many are plain fantastic.

Friesiansam

I've never ceased to be amazed by their inventiveness, cleverness and the wealth of acting talent the series has attracted. Do you have any favourites? Mine would include:

The 12 Days of Christine.
Bernie Clifton's Dressing Room.
Wise Owl.
The Trial of Elizabeth Gadge.
Death be not Proud.
Misdirection.

But they are all great, and many are plain fantastic.
My favourite would be the the one where they are trying to steal a painting from a glass walled house, there was no dialogue until the very end.

EDIT: A Quiet Night in.

Last edited:
Tonight watched the remake of The 39 Steps, with Rupert Penryn-Jones as Hannay and the lovely Lydia Leonard as Victoria Sinclair, a suffragette-secret service agent.

They made a couple of glaring mistakes: the bi-plane that tried to shoot Hannay had synchronized machine guns. This was meant to be early 1914, synchronized machine guns weren't developed until 1915. And in the car chase, these vehicles weren't in production until the 1920s. Goofs are seen in most films and TV programmes.

Not seen the original 1930s film, quite like the 1950s Kenneth More version, but as remakes go this 2008 version is pretty good.

Last edited:

DCarmi

Tonight watched the remake of The 39 Steps, with Rupert Penryn-Jones as Hannay and the lovely Lydia Leonard as Victoria Sinclair, a suffragette-secret service agent.
Of all the versions this one I liked the least , but it is not terrible. All 4 versions take great liberties with the original book.

• The Hitchcock 1935 version is one of my favourite films, though. It does add scenes and characters but the humour and chemistry between Robert Donat and Madeleine Carrol is engaging.
  • The Kenneth Moore versions is largely a lesser remake of the Hitchcock version, missing a lot of the sparkle.
  • the 1978 Robert Powell is engaging enough.
  • Netflix are supposedly making a series based on the 39 Steps with Benedict Cumberbatch.

Of all the versions this one I liked the least , but it is not terrible. All 4 versions take great liberties with the original book.

• The Hitchcock 1935 version is one of my favourite films, though. It does add scenes and characters but the humour and chemistry between Robert Donat and Madeleine Carrol is engaging.
  • The Kenneth Moore versions is largely a lesser remake of the Hitchcock version, missing a lot of the sparkle.
  • the 1978 Robert Powell is engaging enough.
  • Netflix are supposedly making a series based on the 39 Steps with Benedict Cumberbatch.
I've only seen the Kenneth More and, I think, Robert Powell. Not a fan of Robert Powell, mostly due to the spin-off series 'Hannay'

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts