What are you watching?

Page 71 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Looking back I much prefer 'Bottom'
Indeed, though the anarchic energy of The Young Ones does still hold some nostalgic appeal.

I didn't see Tutti Frutti when it was aired originally, so recorded it when Beeb 4 showed it recently - always enjoyed Robbie Coltrane's work. Couldn't get past episode 2 of this though. Pity.

Watching last series of Inside No.9 - A Random Act of Kindness was great.

Reactions: plastic penguin
Indeed, though the anarchic energy of The Young Ones does still hold some nostalgic appeal.

I didn't see Tutti Frutti when it was aired originally, so recorded it when Beeb 4 showed it recently - always enjoyed Robbie Coltrane's work. Couldn't get past episode 2 of this though. Pity.

Watching last series of Inside No.9 - A Random Act of Kindness was great.
Never heard of Tutti Fruitti before.

Really liked "Comic Strip Presents" Five Go Mad In Dorset. Wonderful parody of Enid Blyton's books.

"Lashing, lashings of ginger beer".

It's interesting, because I remember enjoying them, but as per The Young Ones when it came to re-watching I was a little underwhelmed.

As they say, the past is a different country!
It's true. Strangely, how do you class a programme as dated?

For example, something like Dad's Army is based on the home guard in the 40s. To me, you can't date a programme if it's already dated.

So back to The Young Ones it was great and modern in 1983, but 20, 30 and 40 years on it comes across to me now as dated.

Just my opinion.

It's true. Strangely, how do you class a programme as dated?
I've been thinking about this, and there are a few things. Some are technical, and can't be helped:

- 4:3 ratio, obviously.
- Poor resolution - again hardly their fault.
- Few camera angles - I suspect that cameras were proportionally more expensive, so scenes tend to be shot from a more limited set of angles than is the case now.

They are things that you just have to allow for, and don't really matter. Some things do seem to have changed though I stress that I am only talking about my experience - we don't watch masses of TV dramas etc:

- Dialogue can be clunkier and less convincing.
- Plots can have more holes.
- Characters can be less well-developed and lack the full three dimensions.

I realise that much of this won't apply to a great many things, but these are the sorts of things that I notice.

I read a book by Steven Johnson about how popular culture has evolved, and become steadily more complex. I'm not a gamer, but from what I see they are almost infinitely more complex than they were thirty years ago. And dramas used to have fewer characters and each episode would be largely self-contained. Now, better series like House of Cards, Battlestar Galactica etc etc require you to keep track of multiple story arcs which come and go - as well as vast suites of characters whose interrelationships shift and flux.

Just finished the last series of Inside No.9 - the last two were particulalry good, and the final one (Wise Owl) was as good as any from the back catalogue - dark, a wonderfully bleak sense of humour - well-acted and difficult to guess where it was going.

Long may they continue.

The Return Of The Saint. Been watching episodes of this and boy it's so limp compared to the original with the charm of Mr. Dancing Eyebrows Roger Moore.

Ian Ogilvy is a decent enough actor but the storylines and dialogue is poor. Even with well regarded guest stars it fails to shine.

I've always been against remakes or updated versions of good shows, and ROTS (apt abbreviation) is the shining example.

MrReaper182

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
I was about 20 when first shown. Looking back I much prefer 'Bottom', IMO the evolution of The Young Ones. Bottom was simpler, The Young Ones was too convoluted, special effects they used dreadfully dated. As a part of my past it's sacrosanct. That's where it should stay. In the past.

It brought one smile to my face, then I realised it was wind.
Blasphemy PP, blasphemy. People are burning in Hell for saying a lot less.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts