What are you listening to?

Page 469 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

survivor

Mar 31, 2008
Visit site
thethorns.jpg

`The Thorns` - The Thorns on cd. The sound of summer.

survivor

Mar 31, 2008
Visit site
Macspur said:
survivor said:
DancerandtheMoon.jpg

`Dancer and the Moon` - Blackmore`s Night CD/DVD Special edition. Return to form after the slightly disappointing `Autumn Sky`.

Good news, will check it out... last one of theirs I bought was Ghost of a Rose.

Mac

Hi Mac. Yeah, I`ve stuck with them though they seem to release one good followed by one not-so-good which has gone on for quite awhile now. You mentioned `Ghost Of A Rose` and if I`m honest that was probably the last good album that seemed to bring to a close their early `classic` period. Since then I`d recommend a listen to this latest one and also `Secret Voyage` which I have on double vinyl as well as cd. All the best!

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
survivor said:
Macspur said:
survivor said:
DancerandtheMoon.jpg

`Dancer and the Moon` - Blackmore`s Night CD/DVD Special edition. Return to form after the slightly disappointing `Autumn Sky`.

Good news, will check it out... last one of theirs I bought was Ghost of a Rose.

Mac

Hi Mac. Yeah, I`ve stuck with them though they seem to release one good followed by one not-so-good which has gone on for quite awhile now. You mentioned `Ghost Of A Rose` and if I`m honest that was probably the last good album that seemed to bring to a close their early `classic` period. Since then I`d recommend a listen to this latest one and also `Secret Voyage` which I have on double vinyl as well as cd. All the best!

Hi,

Just listened to Dancer at the Moon... definite improvement on prev album.

Secret Voyage pretty good too, but spoilt by awful version of "Can't help falling in love"

Still think "Under a violet moon" is their best work

When they first came on the scene they were a breath of fresh air, but after the release of "Ghost of a Rose" it all started to sound a bit too samey, which to be fair, whith their kind of genre, it's inevitable... glad they've returned to form with this latest release though, will be going on my wish list.

Cheers

Mac

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Beth Rowley - Forest Fire .

I saw her live last night at the Slaughtered Lamb Clerkenwell and she was amazing , she has a real talent that deserves to be heard more widely .

There is a video in this link that is almost guaranteed to send tingles down your spine :)

http://bethrowleymusic.tumblr.com/

and her latest EP on spotify .

Beth Rowley – Princess

survivor

Mar 31, 2008
Visit site
Macspur said:
survivor said:
Macspur said:
survivor said:
DancerandtheMoon.jpg

Mac

Hi,

Secret Voyage pretty good too, but spoilt by awful version of "Can't help falling in love"

When they first came on the scene they were a breath of fresh air, but after the release of "Ghost of a Rose" it all started to sound a bit too samey, which to be fair, whith their kind of genre, it's inevitable... glad they've returned to form with this latest release though, will be going on my wish list.

Cheers

Mac

Hi Mac,

Glad you liked it and sorry for not warning you about `Can`t Help Falling...`! As you know they do covers on every album and some work better than others!

I think most fans tend to think of `Under a violet moon`/`Shadow of the moon`/Ghost of a rose` as the best three albums. I`m very fond of your favourite but mine is still `Shadow of the moon`. As you say they were at first a breath of fresh air and `Shadow` actually inspired me to listen to more folk based music which I shall be eternally grateful for as it`s become my favourite genre. They have become a bit samey so when I first listened to `Dancer` I didn`t get my hopes up too much which turned out to be a good idea as I was pleasantly surprised. Thing is, they release these albums pretty close together. I`d prefer it if they made half as many that were twice as good!

By the way I saw them on the `Under a violet moon` tour, some years ago now, where I hired a suitable costume to get into the spirit of things! It was a memorable gig for two reasons. Firstly, I met them briefly backstage at the end of the gig and got an autograph. Secondly, the support band were Mostly Autumn who became one of my favourite bands of all time. So, all in all, I guess I have a lot to thank Blackmore`s Night for.

All the best

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
survivor said:
Macspur said:
survivor said:
Macspur said:
survivor said:
DancerandtheMoon.jpg

Mac

Hi,

Cheers

Mac

Hi Mac,

Glad you liked it and sorry for not warning you about `Can`t Help Falling...`! As you know they do covers on every album and some work better than others!

I think most fans tend to think of `Under a violet moon`/`Shadow of the moon`/Ghost of a rose` as the best three albums. I`m very fond of your favourite but mine is still `Shadow of the moon`. As you say they were at first a breath of fresh air and `Shadow` actually inspired me to listen to more folk based music which I shall be eternally grateful for as it`s become my favourite genre. They have become a bit samey so when I first listened to `Dancer` I didn`t get my hopes up too much which turned out to be a good idea as I was pleasantly surprised. Thing is, they release these albums pretty close together. I`d prefer it if they made half as many that were twice as good!

By the way I saw them on the `Under a violet moon` tour, some years ago now, where I hired a suitable costume to get into the spirit of things! It was a memorable gig for two reasons. Firstly, I met them briefly backstage at the end of the gig and got an autograph. Secondly, the support band were Mostly Autumn who became one of my favourite bands of all time. So, all in all, I guess I have a lot to thank Blackmore`s Night for.

All the best

Hi Survivor,

that must have been some experience!

Have you ever heard anything by Oden Dragonfly?

Odin Dragonfly – Offerings

or Renaissance – A Song For All Seasons

Cheers

Mac

survivor

Mar 31, 2008
Visit site

Hi Survivor,

Cheers

Mac

[/quote]

Hi Mac,

Yes, I have both. I`m ashamed to tell you that at this moment in time I can`t tell you much about the Odin Dragonfly album. Bought it when it came out but haven`t played it for so long I can`t remember too much about it? Still, now that you`ve mentioned it I shall move it to the top of my `to listen to` list.

Now then, `A Song For All Seasons` is a different matter entirely. This is in my top 20-30 albums of all time. It`s an album we often play when driving around on English holidays in the country and it means a lot to me/us. The intro is absolutely stunning! I would recommend the more recent re-issue by Repetoire which is a very good remaster. It`s my fourth copy of this album and as I say I think it`s a terrific album. Some fans prefer the bands earlier offerings but to me it seems as though they were building up to this, their finest hour. I may still have one of the earlier issues round here somewhere and you`d be welcome to it, but, I can`t be certain were it might be so, I`d better not make a promise I might not be able to keep.

Well, hope you get to hear and enjoy!

P.S. Yes, the Blackmore`s Night gig was very good! Candice actually sat in the car with the window down a bit while Ritchie did the autographs. Had a quick chat and was given permission to take a close-up. Wish I`d had a better camera with me! It was Ritchie`s autograph I got on my ticket. I spoke briefly and he just nodded in acknowlegement but there you go! Best I could manage with so many people about.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
survivor said:

Hi Survivor,

Cheers

Mac

Hi Mac,

Yes, I have both. I`m ashamed to tell you that at this moment in time I can`t tell you much about the Odin Dragonfly album. Bought it when it came out but haven`t played it for so long I can`t remember too much about it? Still, now that you`ve mentioned it I shall move it to the top of my `to listen to` list.

Now then, `A Song For All Seasons` is a different matter entirely. This is in my top 20-30 albums of all time. It`s an album we often play when driving around on English holidays in the country and it means a lot to me/us. The intro is absolutely stunning! I would recommend the more recent re-issue by Repetoire which is a very good remaster. It`s my fourth copy of this album and as I say I think it`s a terrific album. Some fans prefer the bands earlier offerings but to me it seems as though they were building up to this, their finest hour. I may still have one of the earlier issues round here somewhere and you`d be welcome to it, but, I can`t be certain were it might be so, I`d better not make a promise I might not be able to keep.

Well, hope you get to hear and enjoy!

P.S. Yes, the Blackmore`s Night gig was very good! Candice actually sat in the car with the window down a bit while Ritchie did the autographs. Had a quick chat and was given permission to take a close-up. Wish I`d had a better camera with me! It was Ritchie`s autograph I got on my ticket. I spoke briefly and he just nodded in acknowlegement but there you go! Best I could manage with so many people about.

[/quote]

That's a very kind offer, thank you, but I do have an original copy as well as Prologue, Turn of the Cards, Novella, Ashes are burning, Azure D Ore and Ocean Gypsey. So if there's any there you'd like a copy of, you'd be more than welcome. Although, if you're anything like me, you probably prefer to have an original recording.

Must admit, my Oden Dragonfly doesn't get much playing time these days.

Another you may like is Ian Anderson, The Secret Language of Birds.

Cheers

Mac

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts