What are you listening to now ?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
PP said “Did they?”

I think so. I think that when one considers what was on offer in 1962, they were a breath of fresh air. Take a look at was on offer here… https://www.officialcharts.com/charts/uk-top-40-singles-chart/19621004/750140/.
As for some sort of rebellious-ness, as a 7 year old, I had no notions of this 🙂Besides, it’s always been about the music for me. Of course, not everyone will like Beatles tunes, but nearly 60 years on, we are still talking about them, we (some of us) still listen to their music. Everyone will know Beatles tunes, some like Crowded House will try to emulate them (great band imo). As for The Small Faces, I doubt many folks on the street could name a single tune. I actually liked them at the time, but to be honest, I kinda saw them as a novelty act. A bit like Blur and Chas n Dave. Having said that, they (The Small Faces) were obviously good musicians.

Just my opinion, nothing more.

Last edited:

Stuart83

Jul 22, 2023
Visit site
That is one of the most beautiful pieces of music I've ever heard.
My advice.... don't stop there. I've noticed with classical music, you never get listening fatigue.
Thankyou, I haven't stopped their I've found Károly botvay the 4 seasons and Beethoven 5 secrets, they touch me on a different level to other music, I've always loved music from being a kid with DJ decks to now building a new hifi system and returning to vinyl, I love the lumineers "dead" sea and "submarine" they are hair raisingly good but classical stirs my emotions, Im embarrassed to say it's brought a tear to my eye on occasion, suffice to say I won't b stopping there and will be taking your advice, I'm going to explore it vastly

Reactions: JDL
I can see who this Faulkner Fellow is on the internet. I'm not sure about those dreadlocks or the bloody top knot, but we can forgive him that I suppose.
"Hand built by Roberts"? Was Roberts his Father perhaps, or his Mother. Or is it that he's a robot built by someone called Roberts. Or even a hologram. Or, maybe Roberts is some evil Frankenstein like figure. Is that it. You've lost me Sir.
The album name is "Handbuilt By Robots". Influenced by this:

View: https://youtu.be/FU-tuY0Z7nQ?si=2uYdaQY-Tjs0eRBq

😁

PP said “Did they?”

I think so. I think that when one considers what was on offer in 1962, they were a breath of fresh air. Take a look at was on offer here… https://www.officialcharts.com/charts/uk-top-40-singles-chart/19621004/750140/.
As for some sort of rebellious-ness, as a 7 year old, I had no notions of this 🙂Besides, it’s always been about the music for me. Of course, not everyone will like Beatles tunes, but nearly 60 years on, we are still talking about them, we (some of us) still listen to their music. Everyone will know Beatles tunes, some like Crowded House will try to emulate them (great band imo). As for The Small Faces, I doubt many folks on the street could name a single tune. I actually liked them at the time, but to be honest, I kinda saw them as a novelty act. A bit like Blur and Chas n Dave. Having said that, they (The Small Faces) were obviously good musicians.

Just my opinion, nothing more.
The Small Faces weren't a novelty act but they did like to inject humour to some of their music, as did Squeeze in the late 70s and 80s.

I'm a big Beatles fan as I own around 7 albums, incl an album before they became famous, featuring Tony Sheridon.

The Small Faces had a bigger musical impact, as did The Kinks and The Spencer Davis Group. But I love most genres incl all the lovely Motown, Stax and other labels that offered something a little different.

Stuart83

Jul 22, 2023
Visit site
Eclectic taste has took me from Beethovens 5 secrets yesterday on a system deck iix to hard tekno via Spotify this morning and of course submarine by the lumineers that's always thrown in lately

JDL

Jun 13, 2023
Visit site
Rachmaninoff "Piano Concertos Complete." Earl Wilde/Horenstein, Royal Philharmonic Orchestra.
1966, Chandos Records.
Followed by. Rachmaninoff "Isle of the Dead" and "Symphonic Dances"
Ashkenazy, Concertgebouw Orchrstra. Decca 1983
Followed by......
16973242882965013317502962678604.jpg

Reactions: Stuart83

Stuart83

Jul 22, 2023
Visit site
I'm having to take back the second roskan k3 unfortunately, it's the new version without Bluetooth nor standby which I can take as I love the sound but after a second getting stuck on protection mode (without anything connected or not) and all ancillaries checked Ive now washed my hands with the k3.

I'm looking into the acram sa 30 because I need the extra wattage, the CDP is a Marantz cd 52 special edition always loved the sound and speakers are q acoustics 3050i the reason for needing the extra power, I'm back to using a pioneer a400 again now which has never missed a beat.
If you can suggest a similar amp that's 100 plus watts I'd be interested, it's a shame I demoed so many I love but they struggle with the 3050is especially at the volumes I like especially with classical, I thought I'd ask because I've built my new system with advice from the forum users on here, I'm venting a little my apologies as I've just finished setting up the new cartridge etc on the system deck iix again with help from people in the know via this site.
Oh I miss the k3, suppose that's what happens when roskan mess around and admittedly take standby away etc, I'm so so tempted to purchase the older complete ver from Peter Tyson but at 1400 I'm not sure if getting a acram sa30 might b better, I'm not sure I will trust the k3 again despite its older version having an impeccable reputation

JDL

Jun 13, 2023
Visit site
I'm having to take back the second roskan k3 unfortunately, it's the new version without Bluetooth nor standby which I can take as I love the sound but after a second getting stuck on protection mode (without anything connected or not) and all ancillaries checked Ive now washed my hands with the k3.

I'm looking into the acram sa 30 because I need the extra wattage, the CDP is a Marantz cd 52 special edition always loved the sound and speakers are q acoustics 3050i the reason for needing the extra power, I'm back to using a pioneer a400 again now which has never missed a beat.
If you can suggest a similar amp that's 100 plus watts I'd be interested, it's a shame I demoed so many I love but they struggle with the 3050is especially at the volumes I like especially with classical, I thought I'd ask because I've built my new system with advice from the forum users on here, I'm venting a little my apologies as I've just finished setting up the new cartridge etc on the system deck iix again with help from people in the know via this site.
Oh I miss the k3, suppose that's what happens when roskan mess around and admittedly take standby away etc, I'm so so tempted to purchase the older complete ver from Peter Tyson but at 1400 I'm not sure if getting a acram sa30 might b better, I'm not sure I will trust the k3 again despite its older version having an impeccable reputation
This might be a stupid idea. What about finding a not very old secondhand Marantz Model 30. You might be averse to buying secondhand I don't know, or you might not like the idea of buying a Marantz integrated amplifier. Anyway, I got hold of one of these with 10 months guarantee left on it for £1375 including P+P. In my opinion it's a fantastic and neutral sounding amplifier, with plenty dynamics, speed, punch, etc. 100 Watts per channel at 8 Ohms, 200 Watts at 4 Ohm. Additionally it has tone controls which can be bypassed to source direct, allowing one to adjust for shortcomings in a recording or bright speakers. And it's made in the "Land of the Rising Sun", not PRC.

Reactions: WayneKerr

Stuart83

Jul 22, 2023
Visit site
This might be a stupid idea. What about finding a not very old secondhand Marantz Model 30. You might be averse to buying secondhand I don't know, or you might not like the idea of buying a Marantz integrated amplifier. Anyway, I got hold of one of these with 10 months guarantee left on it for £1375 including P+P. In my opinion it's a fantastic and neutral sounding amplifier, with plenty dynamics, speed, punch, etc. 100 Watts per channel at 8 Ohms, 200 Watts at 4 Ohm. Additionally it has tone controls which can be bypassed to source direct, allowing one to adjust for shortcomings in a recording or bright speakers. And it's made in the "Land of the Rising Sun", not PRC.
Thankyou for the advice, I did look but couldn't find one for near that price with a guarantee, there was a few on eBay without guarantees but I struggle to trust that site with bigger purchases, you certainly got a bargain.
I popped along to "hifi sound" Stockton after finding an acram sa30 in stock to find it gone but just as I enquired about other options they found a second hand unit in stock from a old gentleman who'd passed away, he had 3 systems in his house the acram being his middle one, I thought it would have likely only been occasionally used so viewed it.
The amp is fully boxed with everything and spotless and at 950 £ with 3mths warranty I just couldn't pass it up, I've got it home but yet to set it up, I have a problem with the consumer board tripping, seems there's a ground leak somewhere as the ceiling lights in the house randomly flicker when off.
Honestly since building this new hifi it's been problems, the first pair of speakers were faulty but Peter Tyson handled it perfectly via a quick swap which work perfect, 2 roskan k3 amps both faulty all this at another address, I think I've walked under ladders or something 🙂.
In the mean time I've still been enjoying my pioneer a400 that's never missed a beat, I seem to like amps with a warm sound hence the sa30 choice, it's given me time to service the system deck iix and replace the cartridge with one a gentleman helped me pick on this forum.

Attachments

• PXL_20231022_082651147.jpg
    PXL_20231022_082651147.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 2

JDL

Jun 13, 2023
Visit site
Thankyou for the advice, I did look but couldn't find one for near that price with a guarantee, there was a few on eBay without guarantees but I struggle to trust that site with bigger purchases, you certainly got a bargain.
I popped along to "hifi sound" Stockton after finding an acram sa30 in stock to find it gone but just as I enquired about other options they found a second hand unit in stock from a old gentleman who'd passed away, he had 3 systems in his house the acram being his middle one, I thought it would have likely only been occasionally used so viewed it.
The amp is fully boxed with everything and spotless and at 950 £ with 3mths warranty I just couldn't pass it up, I've got it home but yet to set it up, I have a problem with the consumer board tripping, seems there's a ground leak somewhere as the ceiling lights in the house randomly flicker when off.
Honestly since building this new hifi it's been problems, the first pair of speakers were faulty but Peter Tyson handled it perfectly via a quick swap which work perfect, 2 roskan k3 amps both faulty all this at another address, I think I've walked under ladders or something 🙂.
In the mean time I've still been enjoying my pioneer a400 that's never missed a beat, I seem to like amps with a warm sound hence the sa30 choice, it's given me time to service the system deck iix and replace the cartridge with one a gentleman helped me pick on this forum.
That seems like a really good choice you've made there. Sorry to 'hear' of your house wiring problems. Those RCDs are a pain. I lived on a farm near the farm I live at now and the RCD was always flicking off for no apparent reason. In the end we had to change it for a less sensitive one and that solved our problem. It was a fairly long run down to a set of outbuildings around the farm yard. We'd made a jamming/practice room where 3 of us formed a band called "The Bone Idols".
🤨😂 I hope you get your new system up and running very soon.

Stuart83

Jul 22, 2023
Visit site
That seems like a really good choice you've made there. Sorry to 'hear' of your house wiring problems. Those RCDs are a pain. I lived on a farm near the farm I live at now and the RCD was always flicking off for no apparent reason. In the end we had to change it for a less sensitive one and that solved our problem. It was a fairly long run down to a set of outbuildings around the farm yard. We'd made a jamming/practice room where 3 of us formed a band called "The Bone Idols".
🤨😂 I hope you get your new system up and running very soon.
Got an electrician coming tomorrow morning which I hope gets the electric running correct as I'm wanting to hear the sa30 properly.
I've been using a pair of Austrian audio headphones via a smartphone until then.
I'm finding "Ludovico einaudi" very nice whom I've never heard until now.
I can't go long without music and must say I'm impressed with those Austrian audio headphones which I bought after a review on here, much better than the Bose Bluetooth headphones I payed 3x as much for

Reactions: JDL

JDL

Jun 13, 2023
Visit site
Got an electrician coming tomorrow morning which I hope gets the electric running correct as I'm wanting to hear the sa30 properly.
I've been using a pair of Austrian audio headphones via a smartphone until then.
I'm finding "Ludovico einaudi" very nice whom I've never heard until now.
I can't go long without music and must say I'm impressed with those Austrian audio headphones which I bought after a review on here, much better than the Bose Bluetooth headphones I payed 3x as much for
I sympathize. I listen to music every day without fail. I don't watch television because I can't stand it. Music is for me uplifting and an essential part of my life.
I hope the electrician gets things sorted for you.

Stuart83

Jul 22, 2023
Visit site
I sympathize. I listen to music every day without fail. I don't watch television because I can't stand it. Music is for me uplifting and an essential part of my life.
I hope the electrician gets things sorted for you.
Thankyou
It's still not right as an electrician came and to keep it short it's an intermittent fault that he couldn't find even with a fully comprehensive test that came out ok with the earth being on the high side he went to leave and everything tripped off without any load or anything plugged in.
He further investigated and tried to say things were fine despite a new RCD still randomly tripping.
I asked him if he could live with a random electric supply that's obviously got an earth leak although intermittent.
Suffice to say I've further investigated myself and caught it in the act not only tripping the RCD but setting off the socket tester sporadically for an earth fault.
This time I've videod it not to be left in the lurch by a different electrician who's beat by it.
I've put a surge protector in for now as I can't go without my hifis, I've been listening to my cheaper setup without problem in another room, kinda dumb but like you I need music in my life.......

JDL

Jun 13, 2023
Visit site
Thankyou
It's still not right as an electrician came and to keep it short it's an intermittent fault that he couldn't find even with a fully comprehensive test that came out ok with the earth being on the high side he went to leave and everything tripped off without any load or anything plugged in.
He further investigated and tried to say things were fine despite a new RCD still randomly tripping.
I asked him if he could live with a random electric supply that's obviously got an earth leak although intermittent.
Suffice to say I've further investigated myself and caught it in the act not only tripping the RCD but setting off the socket tester sporadically for an earth fault.
This time I've videod it not to be left in the lurch by a different electrician who's beat by it.
I've put a surge protector in for now as I can't go without my hifis, I've been listening to my cheaper setup without problem in another room, kinda dumb but like you I need music in my life.......
Could you change the culprit for a less sensitive RCD?

JDL

Jun 13, 2023
Visit site
"Gong Live in Lyon"
December 19th, 1972.
Never before released, until now.
What's pretty damned cool about this release apart from the music is that the 'read' side of the discs are jet black.
When I first saw them I thought;
"Ah, here we go, I've been had.."
But no, they play, ha ha.IMG_20231028_224904.jpg

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts