what are my options other than Netbook

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
At the moment I use a Netbook to run Spotify and apple lossless files, about 250gb stored on an external hard drive.

I like the fact that the Netbook has a screen so I can see the PC version of Spotify. I think I could improve the sound further by using a different source. I currently run the Netbook into an HRT Music Streamer.

What are my alternative methods? would I be better off with a PC( which wouldn't have the noisy power supply) but might have a noisy fan.

Sonos is a non starter because I like the PC based Spotify user interface.

? any help would be useful.

A

Anonymous

Maybe I might be better off using a source with an optical out?

noogle

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
+1 for optical connection. BTW, PCs do have noisy power supplies. If you want to reduce jitter, might be worth looking at the Musical Fidelity V-Link.

A

Anonymous

Thanks I will take a look at the V LINK. May be I need to wait for an amp that can use Spotify and network my stored lossless files?

Messiah

I think you will find little difference if any, changing to a PC and I think changing to optical will make little difference also.

I would look elsewhere.

What are you trying to improve upon? Do you have a budget in mind for anything else you may need to get?

noogle

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
Sorry, ignore my post above, it's complete nonsense. Just had a look at the HRT II spec and it has an async USB input which will de-jitter the signal from the PC. Isolation also looks pretty good. Next step maybe a Rega DAC or Arcam rDAC?

I think a PC or a laptop is the ultimate source device because of the choice and flexibility it offers. That would put me off integrated streamer/DAC/amps which are "hard wired" to services like Spotify. Plus, from a sound quality point of view, running the streamer, DAC and amp in separate boxes with separate power supplies has got to be a good idea.

A

Anonymous

Thanks very much for both your comments, this post is really linked to my other one, I have developed a crackle on the Netbook. So I really needed confirmation in my own head that the Netbook/ PC is really the best source. It is really annoying that as soon as I have got really happy with the systems sound quality and userbility,this crops up........ I think it's sods law.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
+1 on the Messiahs comment.

Having exerimented recently with various DACs and Pc sound, I would not recommend anything other than what you already have. Any 'upgrade' money would in my opinion, be better spent on speakers.

For what it's worth, I have been down this very same route, I bought my current sytem to minimise boxes and simplifiy my system. I gained more space, versatility, lower power consumption and improved sound quality. I use an Acer netbook myself.

For the money I paid for my speakers, you'd be pressed to better the sound quality of my system. Active speakers make a compelling case.

If for example you sold the HRT, Amp and speakers and added the money for say, a Rega DAC, you would be able to get a respectable active system on the used market.

noogle

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
The Limey said:
Thanks very much for both your comments, this post is really linked to my other one, I have developed a crackle on the Netbook. So I really needed confirmation in my own head that the Netbook/ PC is really the best source. It is really annoying that as soon as I have got really happy with the systems sound quality and userbility,this crops up........ I think it's sods law.

How about borrowing a friend's netbook or laptop, running up Spotify and seeing if you still get the crackle?

A

Anonymous

thank you both for your pertinent comments , I am going to take the whole system apart and change all leads and cables before I do anything.

oldric_naubhoff

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
if your DAC's USB input is galvanicaly isolated, your Laptop/PC power supply noise is not an issue.

asynchronous mode deals wiith USB input jitter.

if your streamer has it then you're looking at considerably more expensive DACs to better it (with better power supply and dedicated analog stage rather than off-the-shelf op-amps and maybe some proprietary digital filtering - if this bit really helps...).

I don't know if this piece of info is of any value for you but I know that somewhere in the mid summer Burson Audio is releasing its stand alone dac (2*USB, coax, toslink). I don't know if you heard of Burson's HD op-amps but they are quite formidable. and as far as I know Weiss switched to using them in their machines recently.

if you're interested in the topic you can find a lot of info on Burson's web site. you may read review of HA-160D. it's an integrated headphone amp, preamp and DAC so it may give you some idea of what to expect. on, and BTW; I ask Burson projected price and they told me around 1000 AUD.

P.S. I know my post may sound like commercial announcement but I'm in no way affiliated with Burson Audio. I just heard many good things about their creations so I thought it might be OK to spread the word.

Edit:

just read your thread about cracks & pops. I was wondering if you're using some low latency audio codec (asio, wasapi) or generic Windows one. if latter then it's no good. before ripping your rig apart try this option with some player that supports them (Fubar for instance). of course, ignore my post if you already use asio...

A

Anonymous

Overdose said:
+1 on the Messiahs comment.

Having exerimented recently with various DACs and Pc sound, I would not recommend anything other than what you already have. Any 'upgrade' money would in my opinion, be better spent on speakers.

For what it's worth, I have been down this very same route, I bought my current sytem to minimise boxes and simplifiy my system. I gained more space, versatility, lower power consumption and improved sound quality. I use an Acer netbook myself.

For the money I paid for my speakers, you'd be pressed to better the sound quality of my system. Active speakers make a compelling case.

If for example you sold the HRT, Amp and speakers and added the money for say, a Rega DAC, you would be able to get a respectable active system on the used market.

Hi Overdose, I like the look of the edirol UA25, do you use this as a Pre amp for the active speakers ? how do you control the master volume?

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
I generally set up the volume on the Edirol as a master and adjust digitally via the music player application, plenty enough drive for my speakers. This seems to work fine and as a DAC, the UA25 is more than adequate. I'm sure that better and certainly more expensive kit is available, but I cannot afford the mega bucks simply to test the theory. (Thinking Benchmark DAC-1 preamp)

Alternative audio interfaces were E-MU 0404 and Fastrack Pro.

Alternative DACs/preamps in the running were the Emotiva XDA-1 and also Matrix mini-i (Chinese preamp/DAC on ebay), both are much more expensive than the UA25, but do add remote control for volume as a bonus. All options offer balanced connections, which are the most suitable/used for active speakers and they give a better gain.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts