admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
My Cambridge 640A version one amp has recently gone to that great hi-fi playground in the sky. So i find myself in the market for a new amp.

My current system consists of Cambridge 640V2 cd player. Project Debut III turntable + Cambridge 640 Phono stage. Monitor audio BR2 speakers on Atacama Aurora 6 stands. Atlas equator connects and Chord Carnival Siver screen speaker cable.

For the price range I am looking at (up to £350) what would really be the best Amp to integrate into the system.

I have narrowed it down to either the obvious choice of Cambridge 640A Version 2 this time, Marantz 6002, Rotel RA04, Rega Brio 3 or Pioneer AA6.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Tony

A

Anonymous

Rotel IMO. It will match with the speakers nicely and sounds excellent. Give one a spin.

Tony Warwick:

My Cambridge 640A version one amp has recently gone to that great hi-fi playground in the sky. So i find myself in the market for a new amp.

My current system consists of Cambridge 640V2 cd player. Project Debut III turntable + Cambridge 640 Phono stage. Monitor audio BR2 speakers on Atacama Aurora 6 stands. Atlas equator connects and Chord Carnival Siver screen speaker cable.

For the price range I am looking at (up to £350) what would really be the best Amp to integrate into the system.

I have narrowed it down to either the obvious choice of Cambridge 640A Version 2 this time, Marantz 6002, Rotel RA04, Rega Brio 3 or Pioneer AA6.

Thanks

Tony

I think your choices are good. The only thing to consider is that the MA's, although very good, are not the easiest to match. You need an amp that veers towards control as opposed to outright excitement; to that end, you could do a lot worse than Arcam. I know a few on the forum are not taken with Arcam, but take it from me, Arcam + M.A.= excellent synergy.

Others worth looking at are: Creek, Roksan Kandy or Audiolab. All of which can be picked up close to your budget.

Good luck, PP

A

Anonymous

I wouldnt dismiss the brio, definately a toss up between that and the rotel.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Tony Warwick:

Thanks

Tony

Creek Evo can't be touched in that price range. Ex demos come up on Creek's site every now and then within your price range. They are fantastic, stylish, well made amps that are powerful and accurate. If you can't find one in your price range, I would go for the Pioneer. I am not overly impressed by the Rotel or the Brio.

A

Anonymous

I think the Creek will be a little bright for the MAs, but hey, give it a try!

A

Anonymous

If you're happy with the sound you had, maybe you could wait to the new 640v3 or just go for the v2 if you don't.

Respecting your initial options, I'd give a try to the Rotel if you don't mind it not having a remote control... (that's a step back in your comfort).

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
igglebert:I think the Creek will be a little bright for the MAs, but hey, give it a try!

I had the Creek with my RS6s and there was no brightness. In fact they sounded sweet together. I would not describe the Evo as bright at all. Very smooth in fact.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts