what amp to suit 4 kef Q7s??

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
i have 4 kef Q7s, 15-175w at 8 ohms, powered by a cambridge audio azur 640a.

if i turn the volume up to above half way the amp trips out.

can anyone recommend an amp to power the 4 speakers to there potential?

ive been told to go for the Onkyo TXSR 605 or Yamaha DSPAX 761 but these only have 90w outputs?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
The receivers you mention will drive the KEFs better, as each speaker will be driven by its own amplifier channel.

The problem you have is that the impedance presented to your current amp by two speakers on each channel is triggering the protection circuitry.

But I have to ask why you have four speakers, especially with iQ7s - you must be getting a very confused stereo sound at the moment. If you are using them in two separate rooms, fine - if they're all in one room and running two on each stereo channel, you'll never hear what the speakers can do.

A

Anonymous

i have them in the same room, 2 left and 2 right. im not too clued up on amps etc, the guy in the shop said that this setup would be ok. ah well thats salesmen for you.

will i be able to hear what they are capable of buy using on of the other receicers?

which one should i go for?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
I'd only use one on each channel. Not quite sure why you have four.

Yes, the receivers will be better, but you really only need four speakers if you're setting up a home cinema system

A

Anonymous

i thought if i had 4 then it would be louder. i was going to put one in each corner of the room.

should i look for an amp that produces more output power than 90w or will i end up damaging the speakers?

can you recommend any other ones?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts