Question What about a chord etude and Dali Oberon 5

useryy

Oct 11, 2020
Visit site
This is a transition solution, a Chord etude + Dali Oberon 5. But still wonders this combination for classical music.
How about it?

As whathifi said, " As for partnering electronics, you’ll get out what you put in. The Oberons ( the Oberon 5 ) will sound perfectly acceptable with good budget electronics such as the Marantz PM6006UK amplifier and partnering CD player, but feed them with something more ambitious, such as the Rega Elex-R or even Moon’s 240i , and they shine accordingly."

D

Deleted member 116933

This is a transition solution, a Chord etude + Dali Oberon 5. But still wonders this combination for classical music.
How about it?

As whathifi said, " As for partnering electronics, you’ll get out what you put in. The Oberons ( the Oberon 5 ) will sound perfectly acceptable with good budget electronics such as the Marantz PM6006UK amplifier and partnering CD player, but feed them with something more ambitious, such as the Rega Elex-R or even Moon’s 240i , and they shine accordingly."

You know its just a power amp right?

Anyhow!

Chord amps don't tend to be reviewed all that often and I doubt many round here would have even heard this combo as the price swings are quite high, its not a known popular entity.

3k plus amp with 600 quid speakers, I fully agree to buy the best engine you can afford. Speakers generally sound pretty good past the 500-1k mark. and to get real improvements thereafter requiring a lot of pennies spent. I'm a firm believer of spending less on speakers and always will always advise such. BUT! BUT! having said that I think you may be taking things a little far and that's just for the amp you still need a pre of some sort like the Dave dac or prima pre (if you want matching) so whats 8k-10 if not a little more.

Maybe look at the toby and the hugo tt 2 if you want to stay with chord

for me, that's too much of a swing unless you have a plan and this is part of a longer vision.

Why don't you look in to the options that what hi fi have stated, moon 240i or the rega and go from there? they seem to have tested it.
i think you need to audition to find out what the benefits are.

Reactions: Al ears
3k plus amp with 600 quid speakers

Looks more like £4k and £700. Unless the amp is a keeper and the speakers a stop-gap, that's a far bigger discrepancy than I'd consider at all sensible. And as millenia says, you'll need a preamp of some kind too, so your amp spend could end up at ten times speaker cost if the pre is to be worthy of the power. That'd be crazy.

I think classical benefits more from speaker upgrade than a lot of simpler/more processed types of music, too.

useryy

Oct 11, 2020
Visit site
First thanks for the advices. I have a Hugo TT as my DAC which I really like (more than TT2). The swing or discrepancy is for a few reasons besides budget. I think speaker is not an easy decision for there is not a "Chord" in speaker's world.

I think classical benefits more from speaker upgrade than a lot of simpler/more processed types of music, too. - I can get it from my headphone expeirence.

Will Whathifi provides a "best classical music speaker of the year", from affordabe to premium?(y)

Last edited:
I don't think speakers are made for specific musical genres. So the "best classical music speaker" title is meaningless.
However, think the Dalis are good with all types of music.
Is that TT a Dac / preamp or simply a dac ?
For classical I always think Harbeth for some strange reason.....

D

Deleted member 116933

First thanks for the advices. I have a Hugo TT as my DAC which I really like (more than TT2). The swing or discrepancy is for a few reasons besides budget. I think speaker is not an easy decision for there is not a "Chord" in speaker's world.

I think classical benefits more from speaker upgrade than a lot of simpler/more processed types of music, too. - I can get it from my headphone expeirence.

Will Whathifi provides a "best classical music speaker of the year", from affordabe to premium?(y)

Thats better you have given us a little more info to go!

Then id certainly be looking at the toby amp if purely for athiestic reasons, and there some reviews for that.

"Classical music speakers" sorry but there's no such thing and If there is they would be pretty shoddy speakers, However there are speaker tuned to the
human voice eg Harbeth.

What you want are dynamical easy speakers for classical, like tannoy, Klipsch heritage line something like heresy IV forte III Cornwalls or if you're feeling rather flush Klipsch la scala's nothing dose live instruments better really. and you can get away with cheap amplification as there so efficient.

There are a few ways you can go really

I think you need to plan out your journey and what's important to you in the future.

useryy

Oct 11, 2020
Visit site
I don't think speakers are made for specific musical genres. So the "best classical music speaker" title is meaningless.
"Classical music speakers" sorry but there's no such thing and If there is they would be pretty shoddy speakers, However there are speaker tuned to the
human voice eg Harbeth.
In Whathifi's articles, some devices are reviewed by human voice music, while some other devices are reviewed by both with the additional classical music - usually middle to high end devices.

Personally, I think Mojo has done well with human voice. I don't feel more enjoyment when moving from hugo to hugo TT with human voice music. But to plan a setup for the classical with speaker really present a difficult for me.

useryy

Oct 11, 2020
Visit site
What you want are dynamical easy speakers for classical, like tannoy, Klipsch heritage line something like heresy IV forte III Cornwalls or if you're feeling rather flush Klipsch la scala's nothing dose live instruments better really. and you can get away with cheap amplification as there so efficient.

Talk about changing the question after you've asked it...

From the review for Dali Oberon 5 by whathifi, there is a seperate paragraph on dynamical topic. This is part of the reason I choose it for Etude firstly.

We move onto Prokofiev’s Romeo And Juliet where the Dalis show-off their fine dynamic reach and ability to render low level shifts with skill. They will play loud enough for most situations and in all but the largest of domestic settings. Despite being compact, those twin mid/bass drivers still deliver plenty in the way of low frequency punch and authority.

Last edited:
You have to bear in mind that the descriptions of strengths and weaknesses are relative, not absolute. Something that is reviewed at a given price and praised would most likely cop some flak if the manufacturer offered it as 2-3 times the price. A review in isolation therefore tells you nothing about compatibility or system balance.

Seems like you've asked a question but aren't desperately interested in replies that aren't what you were hoping for! ;)

useryy

Oct 11, 2020
Visit site
You have to bear in mind that the descriptions of strengths and weaknesses are relative, not absolute. Something that is reviewed at a given price and praised would most likely cop some flak if the manufacturer offered it as 2-3 times the price. A review in isolation therefore tells you nothing about compatibility or system balance.
It is a "stop-gap" for budget and dilemma.

Descriptions is not absolute. However, In my memory, it is rare case for whathifi to review a £700 floor speaker with Romeo And Juliet kinld of music.

Seems like you've asked a question but aren't desperately interested in replies that aren't what you were hoping for!
No No No. What you said "classical benefits more from ..." is a real outcome of my headgear journey. But choosing a speaker is more difficult ...

@12th Monkey

TT as a dac only

Should have provide these infos complelely since I am all focused on the some “wired” combination.
What do you intend to use as a preamplifer then, as Etude is a power amplifier?
Personally I would spend a little more on the speakers, perhaps something like the B&W 603 might be a better match. However, you really do need to audition if possible as most reviews are simply on man's opinion.
As said previously Harbeth, Spendor and Sonus Faber speakers are excellent for classical music and all other genres.

useryy

Oct 11, 2020
Visit site
What do you intend to use as a preamplifer then, as Etude is a power amplifier?
Personally I would spend a little more on the speakers, perhaps something like the B&W 603 might be a better match. However, you really do need to audition if possible as most reviews are simply on man's opinion.
As said previously Harbeth, Spendor and Sonus Faber speakers are excellent for classical music and all other genres.
Correct myself , the Hugo TT is acting as a DAC/preamp since it may update to Dave in future.

The speaker will also be updated. But before I can choose an very satfisfied and affordable one, I can only choose the highly reviewed, which can corp with higher level amp and dynamical and not that expensive one.

From all replies, the preamp thing is a notification to me which I never think over seriously in higher end setup. The allocation between engine and speaker is another inspiration which I've heard before and impressed more with this repeat.

:)PS: I am very enjoying iriver's KANN->Hugo-> Beyerdynamic T1 g2 as a my portable gear and no longer instested in others. Hope to get simiar candidate on speakers which is more difficult I think.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts