What £2000 speakers should I get?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

iceman16

Covenanter said:
Freddy58 said:
A couple of positive comments for the LS50's. Funny thing, I thought they sounded 'boxy', didn't like them.

I think they are marmite speakers. Loads of people love them and loads hate them.

I don't like them either. I think they are very clever but I think they sound artificial. Listen to a recording of a solo piano through them and tell me honestly if you think it sounds like a piano. Didn't when I tried them.

Chris

PS The KEF R700s are lovely but might be too big for your room?

I can honestly say the LS50 they sound like but not the best in piano. Im currently listening to Luigi Gerosa(piano sonata in F minor) and they sound very good. I also listen to rock,jazz, blues, acoustic etc. and the LS50 don't disappoint. IMHO they are a very good all rounder than excel in one particular genre.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
zipppy8myhamster said:
Thank you to everyone who has responded. Lots of speakers I hadn't thought about. I'm always amazed how helpful people are on this site. Much appreciated.

You have had really great suggestions from everybody, so it will come down to personal taste.

I think you need to go for a Standmount in that size of room, and be sure to try as many of them as possible (preferably in your room), as they will all have very different presentations, and some will suit your room/amp more than others.....eg. if they are close to the wall and corners, a sealed cabinet is often best (ATC, Spendor D1) and the Gurus (Junior/QM10) are designed for this.

Some will be better for acoustic and jazz (Harbeth, Spendor), while others will be more "neutral" (Tannoy, ATC, LS50s, PMC, GamuT).

There are smoother sounding speakers (Vienna Acoustics, Kef R Series, Epos, Sonus Faber, Dynaudio, Proac [when combined with Pathos]; and more forward sounding speakers (MA, Totem, Focal).

Nb. The above descriptions/catagories are my subjective opinion.

If you want to keep the harmonious spirit of cooperation, don't ask which cables would get the most out of the system. *diablo*

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
zipppy8myhamster said:
Thank you to everyone who has responded. Lots of speakers I hadn't thought about. I'm always amazed how helpful people are on this site. Much appreciated.

You have had really great suggestions from everybody, so it will come down to personal taste.

I think you need to go for a Standmount in that size of room, and be sure to try as many of them as possible (preferably in your room), as they will all have very different presentations, and some will suit your room/amp more than others.....eg. if they are close to the wall and corners, a sealed cabinet is often best (ATC, Spendor D1) and the Gurus (Junior/QM10) are designed for this.

Some will be better for acoustic and jazz (Harbeth, Spendor), while others will be more "neutral" (Tannoy, ATC, LS50s, PMC, GamuT).

There are smoother sounding speakers (Vienna Acoustics, Kef R Series, Epos, Sonus Faber, Dynaudio, Proac [when combined with Pathos]; and more forward sounding speakers (MA, Totem, Focal).

Nb. The above descriptions/catagories are my subjective opinion.

If you want to keep the harmonious spirit of cooperation, don't ask which cables would get the most out of the system. *diablo*

Great sum up Cno, as usual!*biggrin*

*drinks*

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts