Wharfedale EVO2 30s - Whatever what hifi!

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have just put together my hi-fi system. JVC A-X400 (1985), Wharfedale EVO2 30s, Arcam DIVA CD73 CD player...ABSOLUTLY AMAZING! THE SPEAKERS ARE THE STRONGEST POINT! They are detailed, tonally perfect and incredibly powerful and responsive...not really what what hi-fi said in their review. I would love to know what amp and cd player they used to test the kit. Many Thanks!

And merry Christams!
emotion-46.gif

A

Anonymous

[quote user="robg1976"]Hi mate just goes to show we all prefer different kit and should not buy on just reviews...[/quote]

Yeah I guess it does! Without sounding rude, I am always sceptical what the authors of reviews have as their own equipment. If we presume that a reviewer has a Marantz for their equipment, they are not going to be keen fans of NAD equipment due to the rather controvertial styling and quite warm tonal balance and relaxed nature of their products. That is exactly why I could not review an item without being biased, if somebody stuck a Cambridge Audio amp infront of me I would give it two out of five...I would not be able to over-ride my natural obligation to hate their products. However, to many, they are fantastic; otherwise they would be out of buisness!

Which is where the problem lies with my Wharfeys. Back in the late seventies, Wharfedale introduced their "E series" which stood for "Efficiency". These speakers reached sensitivities of around 94db/w@1m, primarily on the E70 (70 litre cabinet volume) which was unheard of at such times. Infact, the main rival to the speakers - the BBC LS speakers were so inefficient they required incredibly powerful amplifiers to drive them (Hi-Fi World). This ment that so called "audiophiles" of the time would not accept them as adaquate rivals and thus gave them absolutly terrible reviews. To this day Wharfedale remains an overlooked loudspeaker producer and their products are still slated to this day. But, who cares...I love them. (And I don't work for them or am I anything to do with their marketing or production!)

A

Anonymous

Yes, I adore them! What I am trying to get across, with little success, is that Wharfedale's gene pool has always been considered a little dirty because of previous reviews and these could perhaps be still affecting reviews today. The other point which I should have expanded on is that the reviewers may not like the sort of sound it gives even if other people do and thus give the product a bad review. Sorry for any confusion!
emotion-16.gif

(I'm using Firefox and it doesn't want to paragraph correctly!)
emotion-2.gif

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
Ah I see, I happen to think that Wharfy always has a great name in Hifi history and only the very cheap budget products let them down...I mean the ones that cost peanuts!

Wharfedale's flagship model cost £8,000 per pair (sorry if not accurate) per pair and I have been told that they sound amazing even when compare with the like of Focal-JMlab Nova Utopia Be (footballer's money) so am I make you feel any better mate? :)

A

Anonymous

emotion-10.gif
Yeah! I'm suprised you think that, most hi-fi audiophile people say that they are rubbish...it's nice to know there is someone out there!

Talking about their peanut priced products, I remember when Tesco started selling Wharfedale TVs and Home Cinema recievers and they all started to blow up! That was a watchdog investigation I think they would rather forget!
emotion-16.gif

A

Anonymous

I agree with you about Wharfedale. Good stuff from my limited experience. Can't decide between Wharfedale Diamond 9.6 and Wharfedale Evo2 30. Anyone heard both?

A

Anonymous

yes, i managed to test both before i decided to get evo30. 9.6 was good but the clarity cant beat evo30. the price different was about 220$ & i choose to pay more since speaker will last longer... my previous evo10 is already 5yo

a91gti

Jul 9, 2009
Visit site
In my time i have had a selection of wharfedale speakers and never had cause to complain. I seem to remember tho that in the 90`s(?) they had some rare old poop on their books! I currently have Diamond 9.4 `s and they sound great!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts