Thoughts after Scalford

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
drummerman said:
matthewpiano said:
As a result of the day at Scalford, I'm going to have some fun putting a vintage system together on a tight budget. A couple of pieces falling into place as we speak, but I'll report back when I've got something up and running. I'm ready to have some fun again, and to do it without smashing my financial position to smitherines.

Nice one.

Would I put one together it would be either a cyrus one, Rega Planar of some sort and a pair of Mission 770 or a Quad (Solid State) system with an old Kef reference.

I'd go for the Tannoy M20 Gold speakers and a NAD 3020 amplifier. It's a great sounding combo which can be picked up the price of a meal for two at a restaurant.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
I'm wondering if I can put together a system for £9.95 or less that I can exhibit at next years show. With the £5 exhibitor insurance cost that would mean that I'd get in for less than a pay at the door visitor. :)

And I'd get on site parking and not have to wait for the Park and Ride.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
lindsayt said:
I'm wondering if I can put together a system for £9.95 or less that I can exhibit at next years show. With the £5 exhibitor insurance cost that would mean that I'd get in for less than a pay at the door visitor. :)

:D

tonky

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
lindsayt said:

:D

And still have change from a ten pound note!

tonky

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
wilro15 said:
Leeps said:
matthewpiano said:
The over-riding impression for me was that the best speakers were mostly older designs, or heavily inspired by older designs...For me, the Spendors wiped the floor with the Focals, really opening the music up and providing more 'at the performance' realism than I've heard for a long time...The best modern speakers at the event were the Harbeth P3ESR.  Small, but so natural sounding and something I could happily live with for a very long time.

I completely get your point about "natural sounding" equipment and it's one of my biggest criticisms about many rooms I've walked into (and out again shortly after) at the Bristol show.  Many combos may splice and present every fragment of the music, but it doesn't actually sound real.  It sounds like a hifi.

?

One particular combo I heard at Bristol, which I shan't name for fear of a backlash as it's a very popular combo on this forum, to my ears just didn't sound right.  When I was in the room, I could tell many punters were lapping up the salesman's patter with occasional ooohs and aaah's and nods indicating they thought it was the bees knees, but my overriding impression was that it was forced and completely unnatural.  I'm not saying it was outright BAD, but it certainly felt like a hifi was in the room rather than the artist.

Don't be shy.  Name and shame.  Nobody agrees about anything on here anyway.

If I had to guess: KEF LS50s.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
wilro15 said:
Leeps said:
matthewpiano said:
The over-riding impression for me was that the best speakers were mostly older designs, or heavily inspired by older designs...For me, the Spendors wiped the floor with the Focals, really opening the music up and providing more 'at the performance' realism than I've heard for a long time...The best modern speakers at the event were the Harbeth P3ESR. Small, but so natural sounding and something I could happily live with for a very long time.

I completely get your point about "natural sounding" equipment and it's one of my biggest criticisms about many rooms I've walked into (and out again shortly after) at the Bristol show. Many combos may splice and present every fragment of the music, but it doesn't actually sound real. It sounds like a hifi.

One particular combo I heard at Bristol, which I shan't name for fear of a backlash as it's a very popular combo on this forum, to my ears just didn't sound right. When I was in the room, I could tell many punters were lapping up the salesman's patter with occasional ooohs and aaah's and nods indicating they thought it was the bees knees, but my overriding impression was that it was forced and completely unnatural. I'm not saying it was outright BAD, but it certainly felt like a hifi was in the room rather than the artist.

Don't be shy. Name and shame. Nobody agrees about anything on here anyway.

If I had to guess: KEF LS50s.

I guess a pair of speakers qualifies as 'combo' :)

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
drummerman said:
matthewpiano said:
As a result of the day at Scalford, I'm going to have some fun putting a vintage system together on a tight budget. A couple of pieces falling into place as we speak, but I'll report back when I've got something up and running. I'm ready to have some fun again, and to do it without smashing my financial position to smitherines.

Nice one.

Would I put one together it would be either a cyrus one, Rega Planar of some sort and a pair of Mission 770 or a Quad (Solid State) system with an old Kef reference.

I'd go for the Tannoy M20 Gold speakers and a NAD 3020 amplifier. It's a great sounding combo which can be picked up the price of a meal for two at a restaurant.

Nice, another classic duo. What would you have as a source?

drummerman said:
steve_1979 said:
drummerman said:
matthewpiano said:

Nice one.

Dual 506?

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
drummerman said:
steve_1979 said:
drummerman said:
matthewpiano said:

Nice one.

Technics 1200 (a bit more expensive than a restaurant meal unfortunately).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts