Wharfedale diamond 9.6 or 9.5?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Can the what hi fi team please help me partner this setup..I have the following.

Marantz SR6001

Denon DVD 2930

Chord SilverScreen for speakers

Chord Prodac as Coaxial Digital

And I am planning to invest in the wharfedale diamond 9.1 as surrounds,Diamond 9 CM as centre and SW250 subwoofer .I am at a loss as to which ones to pick up for the Fronts.Diamond 9.5 or 9.6 floorstanders? Will my receiver with 100w per channel drive the bigger 9.6 diamonds?are the wharfedales a good match with my marantz? Please suggest..thanks

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Yes the 9.6s will give a bigger sound, though with the sub and the crossovers set up properly it won't be a huge gain, and yes the Marantz will match well with them and drive them more than adequately.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the quick reply Mr.Andrew.Just to better understand what you say: what you mean is, that even if the 9.6s are supported with the sub and the crossovers set up properly,it wont make a significant difference in the sound.Is that it? If it is so, can you recommend speakers costing as much as or a little more than the wharfedales please.I am going to mainly use the setup for watching movies and I would really appreciate your suggestion..Would you recommend the Acoustic Energy's Aelite 5.1?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Simply that most of the low frequency gains of the larger speakers will be covered by the response of the sub, so they may not be of much advantage.

And yes, the Acoustic Energy speaker system is also very good.

A

Anonymous

So could you please recommend what will work best for me and give me a terrific sound as in a cinema hall..Appreciate that..

A

Anonymous

Sorry,one last question.I really like the the Aelites and if i could stretch my budget and partner it with Wharfedale's SW250 sub,would i have the same problem as you mentioned earlier? or do you think i should just stick to the B&W 685 Theatre package?

A

Anonymous

Hello Mr.Andrew,could you please reply to my query.Thanks in advance

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Gosh, you are persistent, aren't you?

It's not a problem as such - just that with a good subwoofer you may not need the larger speakers, and this is even more so when you consider that the Aelite 3 speakers in that package go right down to a claimed 34Hz.

With speakers with that much bass extension, the subwoofer would be operating over a very narrow freqiency range were you to use the main front left/right speakers full range, or much of the advamtage of large speakers would be lost were you to run the system with a relatively high crossover, such as the THC-standard 80Hz.

That said, the Aelite package works together very well, and is a great buy for the money, especially with the Aelite subwoofer. If you're going for the Aelite 3s on the front left and right channels, I wouldn't penny-pinch on the subwoofer, for the reasons outlined above.

IMO the B&W 685 Theatre is a superb package for the money, being fast, musical and dramatic as well as superbly integrated. But if you like the look of the Acoustic Energy package, have heard it and like the way it sounds, too, who am I to argue?

A

Anonymous

Thanks a Million Mr.Andrews! Really appreciate your detailed response.Thanks once again.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts