Question Buying a pair of Wharfedale 9.1's, will a Cambridge Audio A1 be sufficient to run them or should I look at another second-hand amp?

George_W

Sep 13, 2021
Visit site
As above, I'm buying a pair of diamond 9.1's and am wondering about which amp to invest in. I have a very limited budget and have heard lots of good things about the A1?

Navanski

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
I have run the Wharfedale 9.1s for a while.
I don't think you'll have any problems running the with the A1. I have run the speakers on much less power. I have even run them on a SMSL SA36Pro (20W) and while the results weren't brilliant I didn't feel like the sound was constricted by a lack of power.
Generally I think that there is too much emphasis placed on the power output of amplifiers. Even amplifiers which produce a similar output power will have differing audio output. A well known example is the classic NAD 3020. Only 20 watts per channel but louder and more impactful than some amplifiers with twice the power output.
Having said all that, I feel a little hypocritical because, I am currently using a vintage Rotel RA-971 but that's mostly to match my vintage CD transport and vintage DAC.
Enjoy the music!

Shay.M

Apr 22, 2021
Visit site
We use an old Onkyo tx844 reciever (since 1990) and lately connected to the Wharfefale 9.1 Diamond. There is a problem that when I use them in high level of db the amp. stops working! I am not sure if it is because of the amp is not strong enough or any other problem or reason. The Onkyo has A or B speakers output of 4 ohm and A+B of 8 ohm. The wharfedale 9.1 has min 6 ohm and an option of 4 seperate mounte entrance. I am not sure but I think the 9.1 need a stronger amp.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts