Question Wharfedale Diamond 12.2 + Marantz NR1200 ?

thomasago

Mar 8, 2023
Visit site
Hi all,

I'm looking into getting a pair of Wharfedale Diamond 12.2s for my Hifi & Home Cinema setup. I would say around 60% hifi and 40% tv/games but my main focus when it comes to sound quality will be music and hifi. This will be my first hifi setup so I'm sort of starting from scratch. That's why my amp choice quickly turned to "all in one" options like the Marantz NR1200 or the Bluesound Powernode Edge. My main audio sources will be vinyle, Spotify & the TV. However after reading a few reviews and threads, some say that the Marantz can lack power slightly compared to its competitors. My room is very small and listening volume would be relatively low (listening position is around 2m from speakers) but I'd still like to get some advice from more experienced listeners if possible.
So I guess my question is : what do you think of the Marantz NR1200 ? And are the 12.2s easy enough to drive for the Marantz to be able to handle them ?

Many thanks to all !
Tom

thomasago

Mar 8, 2023
Visit site
Hi, thanks for your answer !
Sadly no, I haven’t yet had the chance to listen to the wharfedales. Since I’m starting from scratch, I pretty much have to get the whole package. And I live in the countryside so there are no hifi stores nearby.
Tom

Longchops

Oct 15, 2020
Visit site
Hi all,

I'm looking into getting a pair of Wharfedale Diamond 12.2s for my Hifi & Home Cinema setup. I would say around 60% hifi and 40% tv/games but my main focus when it comes to sound quality will be music and hifi. This will be my first hifi setup so I'm sort of starting from scratch. That's why my amp choice quickly turned to "all in one" options like the Marantz NR1200 or the Bluesound Powernode Edge. My main audio sources will be vinyle, Spotify & the TV. However after reading a few reviews and threads, some say that the Marantz can lack power slightly compared to its competitors. My room is very small and listening volume would be relatively low (listening position is around 2m from speakers) but I'd still like to get some advice from more experienced listeners if possible.
So I guess my question is : what do you think of the Marantz NR1200 ? And are the 12.2s easy enough to drive for the Marantz to be able to handle them ?

Many thanks to all !
Tom

Those speakers are designed for larger rooms, as it says on the website. they have 6.5 inch drivers and are rear ported, you need a fair amount of space for those. If you read the manual it gives you dimensions of how far apart you should place them (2-4m), and how far from the walls etc.

Tbh you don't need to audition them to know they would sound terrible in a small room. The bass will overpower everything and it will sound like you are in a cave. I would try and look at the smaller front ported ones personally

James105

Oct 30, 2019
Visit site
Hi all,

Many thanks to all !
Tom

The Marantz has a built in phono stage the power node doesn't , so unless your turntable has a built in one thats an extra cost, guessing £120-150, the power node edge is £600 the Marantz £400. At 2 metres maybe 12.1 with 5" woofers

matthewpianist

I also echo other members in counselling caution with larger speakers in a small room. Floorstanders with larger drive units need space or they will boom, and this is even more the case with budget models which generally don't have such intent cabinets as more expensive ones. They can sound lovely, but they need the right environment.

I also echo other members in counselling caution with larger speakers in a small room. Floorstanders with larger drive units need space or they will boom, and this is even more the case with budget models which generally don't have such intent cabinets as more expensive ones. They can sound lovely, but they need the right environment.
You have a point but who mentioned floorstanders?

matthewpianist

You have a point but who mentioned floorstanders?

Nobody - sorry my brain got muddled! Change that to any speaker with a larger box and drivers. Eg. Monitor Audio Bronze or Silver 100s can sound great, but stick them in the wrong room and they boom so much that they become unlistenable. Even the better cabinet of the Silvers doesn't solve the problem in the wrong space.

Nobody - sorry my brain got muddled! Change that to any speaker with a larger box and drivers. Eg. Monitor Audio Bronze or Silver 100s can sound great, but stick them in the wrong room and they boom so much that they become unlistenable. Even the better cabinet of the Silvers doesn't solve the problem in the wrong space.
No worries, quite agree. This is why I suggested the smaller AE's with a 5inch mid-bass driver.

Reactions: matthewpianist

robdmarsh

Personally, I'm not a fan of Wharfedale speakers and I've heard a few. I think they sound mechanical and a bit lifeless (Diamond 9.1, Diamond 220, Denton 80). I think you can do so much better with the Acoustic Energy mentioned above or Elac debut b5 (orignals better than 5.2 imo) or Triangle Borea br02. I also agree that a 6.5 inch driver in a small room is not advisable.

robdmarsh

I see you've changed your amp again. Btw I was not a fan of the Nait 5si in the end. It doesn't have the sustain or sweetness of my little Denon pma 800ne and ok it may be faster but the Denon is no slouch.

matthewpianist

I see you've changed your amp again. Btw I was not a fan of the Nait 5si in the end. It doesn't have the sustain or sweetness of my little Denon pma 800ne and ok it may be faster but the Denon is no slouch.

Interesting, and understandable. The two amps have different qualities.

The Leak wasn't the right amp for me, and although I like a lot about the Cyrus it's just too clinical in the end. The Rotel is more musically involving, just as the Denon and Marantz amps are.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts