Western Digital Live 1080P Internet Media Streamer

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

Can i get the same sound quality on archos with DVR station that has SPDIF?

Thank you

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
It supports network shared folders and DLNA so, as long as your NAS supports either of these, you should be alright.

Upscaling. Hmmm. Not really used it for films. Almost exclusively music but also photos and home videos taken on a rather poor quality camera...so can't answer I'm afraid. Sorry.

A

Anonymous

Hi PJ,

I have DVD-based all-in-one system with 2xHDMI in.

Am I right in thinking that if i plug USB HDD in WDTV Live and connect it to my all-in-one system with HDMI, than I can easily play file formats which are supported by WDTV but not natively supported in my system (flac, H264...)?

With HDMI connection, will WDTV Live only do the decoding, and the D/A conversion will happen further down the line in the all-in-one system?

I desperately need some advice, since I can not try WDTV, I would buy it through internet retailers.

davejberry

Mar 29, 2009
Visit site
Gok:
Hi PJ,

I have DVD-based all-in-one system with 2xHDMI in.

Am I right in thinking that if i plug USB HDD in WDTV Live and connect it to my all-in-one system with HDMI, than I can easily play file formats which are supported by WDTV but not natively supported in my system (flac, H264...)?

With HDMI connection, will WDTV Live only do the decoding, and the D/A conversion will happen further down the line in the all-in-one system?

I desperately need some advice, since I can not try WDTV, I would buy it through internet retailers.

I have a WDTVLive and mine is plugged into my Sony AV amp via HDMI .I have not used it on HD files but have used it to play ripped DVDs and various audio file types from an attached HDD and from shared folders and a media server on my networked PC.

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
Gok:

Yes, that's right.
Gok:

Right again.

I actually connect mine to my AV amp using an optical interconnect for the sound and component for video as I don't have any HD files. And if I use HDMI, the AV amp goes silent for a few seconds if I switch off the telly (must be something to do with HDML handshakes?). I often do this once I have got the music playing.

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
There's been a raft of firmware updates over the last few months for this box, mainly adding internet access to stuff that doesn't interest me.

One outcome of firmware update version 1.04.17 was that random playback of audio files was broken. For some reason, the random playback was limited to a couple of hundred files either side of your start point.

The only solution was to roll back the firmware to an earlier version (1.03.49). The normal shuffle playback has been restored. Hurrah.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts