Western Digital Live 1080P Internet Media Streamer

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
OK. I've set up a dedicated account on my PC for the WDTV. I've then set up a shared folder and browsed it from the WDTV downstairs. This gave me chance to look at some photos. All worked as I would expect. Need to try some videos now.

Still waiting for the copying of my media files to complete. I also need to place a playlist on the external HDD and am planning to hack one of the foobar2000 files to do this. Not sure if I can but if I can get in using notepad, I should be half way there.

I've not looked in a playlist file before. I'm guessing it's a list of file paths so the only difficulty is arriving at the correct path. I'll use this file to test sucking files off my PC over the network to the HDD when it's attached to the WDTV.

I'm loving this....

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
PJPro:OK. I've set up a dedicated account on my PC for the WDTV. I've then set up a shared folder and browsed it from the WDTV downstairs. This gave me chance to look at some photos. All worked as I would expect. Need to try some videos now.

Still waiting for the copying of my media files to complete. I also need to place a playlist on the external HDD and am planning to hack one of the foobar2000 files to do this. Not sure if I can but if I can get in using notepad, I should be half way there.

I've not looked in a playlist file before. I'm guessing it's a list of file paths so the only difficulty is arriving at the correct path. I'll use this file to test sucking files off my PC over the network to the HDD when it's attached to the WDTV.

I'm loving this....

all for under £100!!! Wait til you see the PQ of mkv files too!

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
Unfortunately the foobar playlist cannot be editied in notepad. However, it is possible to export the playlist into .m3u file which is editable in notepad.

As I thought, simply a list of paths. Just need to work out the correct path to the HDD. Should be much the same except the drive name will be different.

What do you reckon? C?

18 minutes to go!

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
JohnDuncan:We want a DVD ripped to a VIDEO_TS directory and playing on your telly by the end of the evening an' all (for research purposes only of course)...

I can confirm that this works, well on the basic model that I've used. I threw .avi, divx, mkv and video files (vob, video_ts etc) at it and no problem. They are even supposed to be able to play img files like iso!

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
It's a real joy to listen to music without the vacuum cleaner (PS3) in the back ground. It's a pity I don't have a Dac Magic as I'd like to confirm that it's not upsampling to 48khz.

Torres09

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Gerrardasnails:PJPro:Yeah. Thanks for bringing it to my attention Mr Snails. I'm just having a look at the WD community website. Hmmm. A few issues it seems.....not least the unresponsive support from WD. It's the sort of thing that can really annoy you! I came across a similar forum for my extender - and they have stopped making them and support ended a while back. However, it works so I don't change anything. I doubt that many of the people on the WD forum are using it specifically for music, like your good self. I can't see you having any issues - my Dad is comfortable with his and he didn't know what Ctrl, Alt, Del was until I explained it to him a couple of weeks ago!

Gerrard, i've been using one of these for some months now, excellent little device, plays anything i throw at it, found this great app: http://www.tvixie.com/screenshots.php which adds movie art, synopsis, cast/crew info etc, etc,

Even your dad could manage to use it
emotion-4.gif

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Torres09:
Gerrardasnails:PJPro:Yeah. Thanks for bringing it to my attention Mr Snails. I'm just having a look at the WD community website. Hmmm. A few issues it seems.....not least the unresponsive support from WD. It's the sort of thing that can really annoy you! I came across a similar forum for my extender - and they have stopped making them and support ended a while back. However, it works so I don't change anything. I doubt that many of the people on the WD forum are using it specifically for music, like your good self. I can't see you having any issues - my Dad is comfortable with his and he didn't know what Ctrl, Alt, Del was until I explained it to him a couple of weeks ago!

Gerrard, i've been using one of these for some months now, excellent little device, plays anything i throw at it, found this great app: http://www.tvixie.com/screenshots.php which adds movie art, synopsis, cast/crew info etc, etc,

Even your dad could manage to use it
emotion-4.gif

cheers Nando.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
PJPro:It's a real joy to listen to music without the vacuum cleaner (PS3) in the back ground. It's a pity I don't have a Dac Magic as I'd like to confirm that it's not upsampling to 48khz.

how are you connecting to your amp? I've read that the WD's dac is terrible, an external DAC might be worthwhile.

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
Looks like I'm going to be unable to suck files across the network (or I don't know how to do it). I'll have a go at squirting instead!

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
It gets better. I created a playlist folder alongside my music library on the HDD over the network. I edited the m3u file (exported from foobar2000) with a relative path to the music files (a simple find | replace) and saved the file into the playlist folder. And it worked! Wooohooo! All sorted! I can hear it playing downstairs now.

Clearly, it's early days yet but this is a great bit of kit. If you've got any sort of IT background or can find your way around a computer, it's a dodle. I feel a primer coming on!

Oh. One thing. No album art. I suspect this (or the path to it) needs to be embedded in the .flac file. This is a bit of a pain. I'll have to experiment.

Haven't tried video yet (.avi files of the kids). I'll have a play now!

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
OK. Video files (.avi) play fine. Had a quick look at the internet radio as well. OK but sound quality was a bit pants. Pity they don't support Spotify.....I think they wouldn't be able to make them quick enough if they did!

All in all, this is a great product. Brilliant for £96.

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
Torres09:
PJPro:And we have one mapped drive!

Well done PJPro.................i can see another "How To........." added to your sig

Cheers! And yes. If there was interest, I could probably cobble together something. Haven't done one for a while.

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
I forgot to mention that the WDTV scans any usb device connected to it and creates it's own library file. I was worried that when I went "round the back" and dropped on my playlist that it would miss it. I needn't have worried. It picked the file up and added it to its list of playlist files. It must listen for file events and leap into action.

This is good as I want new files placed on the HDD over the mapped drive to be automatically added to the WDTV library.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
PJPro:Well, this has been as much excitement as I can bear in one day. I think I'm going to go for a lie down.

It gets better! I've just read that these things play m2ts files no problem - so if you have an HD camcorder (I will have to get one now!)....

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
Still can't get streaming to work from WMP on my PC. Foobar2000 works a treat. To be honest this isn't a big issue because you are able to browse the folders on your PC and play videos / photos that way. For me, this is a non-issue as I am using an attached external HDD, so I can't be bothered to investigate further.

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
I'm still having trouble with album art. It looked like I had the solution....renaming the album art file in each album folder to folder.jpg. So, I browsed over the network to the WDTVLive using my PC, did a search on *.jpg and renamed all the files folder.jpg (RSI have we come!) However, this only worked with some of the albums not all.

Indeed, the ones that work are the same ones that work when streaming with foobar2000 to the WDTVLive and the PS3. I can't work out what the factor is that allows the album art to display. I thought only small files were being dislayed....but sometimes ones that display are bigger than ones that won't. It's not width or height. What else is there?

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
PJPro:I'm still having trouble with album art. It looked like I had the solution....renaming the album art file in each album folder to folder.jpg. So, I browsed over the network to the WDTVLive using my PC, did a search on *.jpg and renamed all the files folder.jpg (RSI have we come!) However, this only worked with some of the albums not all.

Indeed, the ones that work are the same ones that work when streaming with foobar2000 to the WDTVLive and the PS3. I can't work out what the factor is that allows the album art to display. I thought only small files were being dislayed....but sometimes ones that display are bigger than ones that won't. It's not width or height. What else is there?

probably teaching you to suck eggs here but I copied the albums into WMP from the external drive and then disconnected and the album art showed up.

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
No. Please teach me how to suck eggs. Are you saying that if I import my flac files into a WMP library it will automatically embed the album art into the flac files? Because it seems the only way to guarantee the album art showing up on WDTVLive is to embed the art into the tags.

TRENDING THREADS