were is the best place to buy cables online

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
thanks for the kind offer

i will try out the audioquest Yukon and if i do not like it i can send it back to Amazon as i had some gift cards to get rid off so it was money off the cables .

but as i say if i do not like the Yukon i will take you up on the offer *smile*

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Hi David

i got the audioquest Yukon today I have had only time to run the hifi with it for 2hrs today

i can definitely tell a difference in a different sound more on the treble side as vocals sound stronger and seems to be more detail from the top end

the bass is tighter a little deeper but not over done I would say this cable is quite natural sounding and I know that audioquest cables have a low noise floor so this must be something to do with why I am hearing a difference.

but there something about it I do not like it's heard to explain but this cable sounds a bit layered back were before there felt like there was energy in the music.

i am not sure on cable burn in if this makes any difference ? Would I know straight away if this cable is any good or not as when I first hooked up the cable and played Led Zeppelin it sounded flat then started to open up more over the 2hrs of playing different songs . I got to be honest I am not amazed by it yet like I was when I brought the rocket 33 speaker cable .

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
More time much more time.

I still think you should loan the better model otherwise you will always have that nagging feeling and will likely try them at some point might end up buying them and then lose money. Always better off trying both and picking the right one. Always better

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Not sure 100% but i would say if possible leave the system playing with the volume off over night for a few days / on as much as poss then try and again and see if there is any difference

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
My old XLR was from Colin iqspeakers

its silver based cable but at the time of me buying it only cost me £45 it's a good XLR cable to be honest with you .i just wanted to buy a better one that goes with my rocket 33 speaker cable .

just to see if I got a bit more detail.... I am getting it with this new one but this cable does act different from the sliver based one as this cable is sold core copper cable . We will see I will give a couple of days and if I am not happy with I can send it back . Try water

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
Hi David

i got the audioquest Yukon today I have had only time to run the hifi with it for 2hrs today

i can definitely tell a difference in a different sound more on the treble side as vocals sound stronger and seems to be more detail from the top end

the bass is tighter a little deeper but not over done I would say this cable is quite natural sounding and I know that audioquest cables have a low noise floor so this must be something to do with why I am hearing a difference.

but there something about it I do not like it's heard to explain but this cable sounds a bit layered back were before there felt like there was energy in the music.

i am not sure on cable burn in if this makes any difference ? Would I know straight away if this cable is any good or not as when I first hooked up the cable and played Led Zeppelin it sounded flat then started to open up more over the 2hrs of playing different songs . I got to be honest I am not amazed by it yet like I was when I brought the rocket 33 speaker cable .
If the cable was new, I would give it some time. Even if it was a well used cable, I usually find the AudioQuest cables take some time to bed in to a system - I can't explain it, but that's just what I've found with many systems.

Have you ever tried putting your old speaker cable back in now that you're used to the Rocket 33? That's usually the best way to tell.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Hi

I left the hifi going in the night with vol down then played music for much of the day today so about 25 hours run-in so far .

in the day I swapped back to my old XLRs and then back again to the new XLRs I found the new ones to be a bit better but there's not much in it just that the new XLRs seem to come across cleaner this must be down to the low noise floor of the audioquest XLRs . There is a little more detail in the music which is a good thing . They might be keepers as more hours on them will make them even better but before I decide on keeping them I am wondering to give water ago .

tonky

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
You have a super amp, cd player and super speakers. Cables - The law of diminishing returns kicks in. Never heard xlr cables - professionally used for when long runs needed. Otherwise diferences with them are supposed to be minimal (if at all). Good luck in your continuing search for hi fi nirvana. Often sought - and often never reached.

tonky

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
i am sending the XLRs back

i just felt my old XLRs were better the audioquest kind of was killing my sound a bit there was just something about them i did not like .there was a change in sound but not worth wasting £280 on and not a good change the audioquest rocket 33 was wouth it

tonky

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
Placebo and chips (of the dac variety?) three times please.

Many moons ago - ( my rega planar 2 , A and R cambridge A30 days) - and a bit later too. I experimented with variables such as cables, connectors etc. When terms such as "seems" to have more depth/clearer treble/ defined bass etc. It "seems" very much placebo effect.

The most obvious improvement I had was placing the the Rega turntable on a very sturdy wall shelf. The worst thing I did was replacing it for an inferior sounding Thorens deck.

regards tonky

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
You have to try theses things

when I brought the audioquest speaker cables 8 or months ago I was pleased with the difference they made to my hifi but the audioquest XLRs have give me a different experience.

its taken me 3 days of listening to music and swapping out my old XLRs to the the new ones . The music with the new ones felt bright at the top end but made me think they were clearer the the mid range drive was not as clear as it was with my old ones . Theses audioquest Yukon XLRs were meant to be neutral sounding without adding to anything . Like I've said you do have to try theses things .*smile*

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
I still think more time on the audioquest before throwing in the towel - depending on if you have it.

Couple days is not enough from my experience

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
I left the hifi running all night the first night I got the cable then 2 straight days of listening to music I do still have the cable as I will posting it back on Monday .

there were songs I knew very well and some of the instruments did not sound the same in the songs I played . I just felt the audioquest XLRs were holding back stuff I knew was there with the old XLRs

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Thats not enough - when I first got my xlo limited edition interconnects I hated them for about a week maybe slightly more.

I had already heard a run in pair so knew how good they were but for a week I was regretting buying them.

Now to get them from me you would have to prize them from my dead hands and even then with a power tool.

It might make no difference - however it can also take days ime, Hence the suggestion loan a demo set that are well used.

Dont listen to me do what you need to do buddy but just saying I dont think 3 days is enough.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I'm not saying you did anything wrong Blacksabbath, but I agree with Ellis. Sometimes these things can take a while to "get", for want of a better term. I do find that Audioquest cables seem to need time to settle into a system, more so their speaker cables. I know that sounds like crap to some people, but I'm just relaying my experiences over the past 26 years of using AudioQuest cables. Whether it is because their cables are solid core, I don't know, but I've not had the same experiences with other manufacturers, who all use multi-strand cables.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
i will give it 3 or 4 more days

but do not want to be left with this cable if the sound does not change as they cost £280 i take it you have 15days with amazon if your not happy ? i thought cable burn-in was what the cable companys make up just so you do not send it back as there is no proof cable burn-in happen's not what i know off .

Blacksabbath25 said:

but do not want to be left with this cable if the sound does not change as they cost £280 i take it you have 15days with amazon if your not happy ? i thought cable burn-in was what the cable companys make up just so you do not send it back as there is no proof cable burn-in happen's not what i know off .
If you run it in, you won't be able to return as new!!

I'm a bit wary of cable burn-in too. Transducers I get. Cables, less convinced.

manicm

Blacksabbath25 said:
i want to buy audioquest water XLRs for my hifi

but do not want to end up buying a fake pair for the price theses cost anyway i see futureshop sells them online but are they safe to buy from . or any other online shops *smile*

i do not want this to turn into a cable debat just were to buy from*smile*
I bought from futureshop online, no problems, and I'm overseas.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:

My experience wasn't cable burn in - even if/when a cable has been burned in, I still find some of AQ's cables take time to settle into a system. As I say, just my experience.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:

Best play safe and make sure you can return them to Amazon - I am not a big fan of Amazon returns because its a system you feel there is no personal touch - not good for hifi stuff in this regard - please dont get stuck with them on my account - however a week playing 24/7 should do it if its going to do it - or at least you would notice a change by then if its going to happen

No reason why you cant return for a refund - then start again with your testing with loan sets as suggested. I know you had vouchers for amazon so I appreciate that might affect things

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
ellisdj said:
Blacksabbath25 said:

Best play safe and make sure you can return them to Amazon - I am not a big fan of Amazon returns because its a system you feel there is no personal touch - not good for hifi stuff in this regard - please dont get stuck with them on my account - however a week playing 24/7 should do it if its going to do it - or at least you would notice a change by then if its going to happen

No reason why you cant return for a refund - then start again with your testing with loan sets as suggested.  I know you had vouchers for amazon so I appreciate that might affect things

For cds and loan cables
Thats what id do anyway.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts