Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
Put an album on last night and it sounded weird and the TT stopped. I thought *** (Oh dear) me TTs broke so I checked all the connections and could see nothing wrong, so I tried it again and it seemed to speed up and slow down and then I realised I’d left the clamp off. Relief!!!

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
Crickey, what you tracking your cart at , 4 ton
emotion-5.gif

Seriously, if it happens again plop a little drop of oil down your motor pully spindle. The bearing may be a tad dry.

Also check out your platter bearing for a lump of scrunge. Leaving the clamp off, assuming you mean the record clamp, should not make one iota of difference. I hope i am wrong but it sounds to me as if your motor is on the way out.

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
Floyd after reading your post I decided to investigate further and with the belt removed the platter spins easily and forever, but the motor if spun soon stops. The tracking on the Rega arm is set at 1.8grms. I may have to buy something to check the accuracy of this unless we have some digital scales.
Next time I put something on I will put an old album on and leave the record clamp off and see if it happens again, it may have been a one off. The TT is only 4 months old so still under guarantee.

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
The reference to your cart was a joke, a bad one , but still a joke. Anyways if its only 4 months old take it back to your dealer or call mich direct. Ask for Steve in the tech dept and explain whats going on. Personaly i would call mich, they are very good and will sort it out for you, without having to wait for your dealer to get his bum in gear. Even if your cart was tracking at 5gms it wouldnt stop the motor/platter spinning. If you havnt got any scales then buy some. I would hazard a guess that the scale on your arm is a mile out, and in this game 0.2 of a gram is a mile with some carts. Digital scales are brilliant if a tad pricey.

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
I tried this again with the clamp removed, first of all with the Record Support Disc removed, then with it replaced convex side up and then concave side up and both the LPs I tried played perfectly. I reckon the other night was just a one-off glitch.
Without the clamp on the stylus was going up and down like it was on a roller coaster but it still played OK, with the clamp on the LPs were as flat as a pancake.

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
Well at least you have plenty of warranty time left if it occurs again, then i would get it looked at for sure. Clamps do tend to ,erm, clamp things down,lol. What you really need as an album thats super warped with an out of centre spindle hole and no clamp, thats fun !!.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts