Weird LP

priam

Oct 26, 2016
Visit site
Hi all, I just bought a new LP. Specifically, Leonard Cohen - You Want It Darker

The weird thing about this LP is that it is substantially thicker than all of my other LPs. I think maybe triple, or quadruple the usual thickness. Does anyone have an pinion on this?

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
priam said:
Hi all, I just bought a new LP. Specifically, Leonard Cohen - You Want It Darker

The weird thing about this LP is that it is substantially thicker than all of my other LPs. I think maybe triple, or quadruple the usual thickness. Does anyone have an pinion on this?

It's on 180g, which is about three times thicker than the old RCA Victor stuff. I'm not sure if they do a 200g version. The new idea is to put stuff on 180g vinyl as it's supposed to sound better, load of cobblers really cos if the productions crap it'll never sound any good whatever the pressing.
Also it makes a complete mockery of getting your arm level cos if it's level on standard LPs then its gonna be raised on 180g increasing the bass and if it's level on 180g then it's gonna be lower on standard thus increasing the treble.

Lost Angeles said:
priam said:

It's on 180g, which is about three times thicker than the old RCA Victor stuff. I'm not sure if they do a 200g version. The new idea is to put stuff on 180g vinyl as it's supposed to sound better, load of cobblers really cos if the productions crap it'll never sound any good whatever the pressing.Also it makes a complete mockery of getting your arm level cos if it's level on standard LPs then its gonna be raised on 180g increasing the bass and if it's level on 180g then it's gonna be lower on standard thus increasing the treble.

You may be right about it being on 180g vinyl but they are not 3 times thicker than normal, this would imply normal records are only 60g, unless you are referencing mid seventies oil crisis vinyl which was noticeably thin.

Happy_Listener

Jan 1, 2015
Visit site
Records usually range from 120 to 200 grams in weight. Although, It seems like some of my 80's records the manufacturers were really pushing the boundaries by making them super cheap. I should weight them sometime. I have a Waterboys one that seems like it's 100-110 grams it's so thin. I'm suprised the cartridge needle hasn't cut though to the other side yet. ;)

The Leonard Cohen- You Want it Darker is 180 grams. At least most of them are. Thicker than a stadard album.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts