weakest link in my setup

tapper

Feb 26, 2009
Visit site
hi, i am hopeing one of you guys can help me because you guys on the forum have a lot of knowledge. i want to up grade but i do not no what to change. I listen to all my music off my pc through a dac magic my amp is a rotel ro01 and my speakers are mordant short 902i by wired i have qed silver speaker cable and vandenhul inter connects with tasema power conditioner and mains cable. my speakers are positioned on stands that are sand filled but i am still not happy with my sound. i would like to get a little more warmth and detail. i thought of up grading the amp to the ro04 but those things are fetching stupid money on ebay. so i was just asking for advice and ideas anything that i can try or should look out for on ebay, but my budget is £150 -£200. Also do you think that a power amp would be of any benifit? i hope that i have covered it all thank you very much in advance tapper.

matthewpiano

The Quad 11Ls (original ones, not the 11L2) would work very well with your amp and give you the sort of change you seem to be looking for I think. They are very musical speakers and would make a significant upgrade on the 902is (I have both here and used to use the Quads with a Rotel RA-01, so am in a good position to comment).

I don't actually think the RA-04 would be a worthwhile upgrade on the RA-01.

What sort of music do you tend to listen to?

a91gti

Jul 9, 2009
Visit site
I'm not sure about the VDH cables but the QED isn't known for it's warmth. I'd maybe think about upgrading your cables before changing any components.

tapper

Feb 26, 2009
Visit site
hi guys thanks for getting back to me so quickly. i listen to lots of music hip hop rnb dub step drum and base and rock heavy and accoustic. its funny you should mention the quads i was looking at the next one up from the one you mentioned they were the l12 they were only up to £101 on ebay but i expect them to go higher. i am prob going to try the speaker wire thing first its the cheapest option lol.The thing is when i am listening the sound stage is nice and sharp to the far left and far right but a bit mushy in the middle some times, and some times it seems a little to harsh. Before i settled on the 902i i tried some keff iq1 and hated them. i will have a look around for some speaker cable though prob cord i have heard some really good things about the cord cables thanks keep the good advice coming tapper .

a91gti

Jul 9, 2009
Visit site
Your last post makes me wonder about the positioning of your speakers. Are they "toed in", angled towards your listening position? This can often tighten up a soundstage.

tapper

Feb 26, 2009
Visit site
i have played with the possition of my speakers lots and lots i have tryed them close to the wall 6 inches away from the wall further away and closer together stands spiked and un spiked and i am still not happy. i know i am a real fussy ****** lol. back to the speaker wire subject i have had the speaker wire about 6 years so i think it might be time for a change. i have my speakers by wired at the moment do you think that i should do this with the cord? thanks tapper.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts