We got Pro Logic 2, so how about Dolby Digital 2 ?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Around the time dvd's with Dolby Digital 5.1 tracks were beginning to establish themselves as superior home cinema software to VHS tapes and Laserdisc, Dolby launched Pro Logic 2 and it gave the much maligned two channel formats a real boost.

I'd like to know if Dolby is working on a superior system, akin to PL2 for Dolby Digital software we already own or have access to ( sky's 5.1 content ). I have a soft spot for dvd's with the "legacy" codecs ( dolby, dts ) probably cos i own around 300 and subscribe to sky's movie channels, i'm not sure whether it's technically possible to do this but given the success of PL2, i'd like em to give it a shot.

A

Anonymous

Not sure I understand.

PLII enhances Pro-logic soundtracks, essentially decoding/processing the original matrixed 2/4 channel track in a way that makes better use of todays full range 5.1 channel systems, for which PL was never intended. As DD is already a proper 5.1 channel track designed for use by said systems, how could the information be better extracted and presented?

cwalduck

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
Not sure what your getting at either, Dolby has been developing quite a few different codec extensions for DD 5.1 are EX which gives you 6.1 or 7.1 layouts prologic IIz now gives you height on the front sound field what more do you want?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Dolby Digital 2.0? As in stereo...?
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

Am i wrong in assuming the majority of enthusiasts have 5.1 systems ? The extra speakers options/upgrades that Dolby offers, EX, PL2z aren't ideal for me and i suspect most readers too.

As i state perhaps it's not technically possible to improve on Dolby Digital, i know some receivers offer various dsp modes and THX proccessing to give Dolby tracks a boost and if thats as far as Dolby Digital can be "enhanced" so be it.

To thumbnail it, i want the "aural" equivalent of 1080p upscaling for my dvd's ! Come on Dolby now there's a challenge for you !

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts