Was...

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
Yep i'm with this.

So what were after is the full monty one man band, well two man, well three.

We need a sizeable TV with built in blu-ray full connectivity wirelessly and hard.

For audio we need a pre amp type box with again full connectivity wirelessly and hard, quality fm and digital radio, cdp and a choice of standmount actives or floorstander actives at an extra cost.

And a PC.

A

Anonymous

Ravey Gravey Davy:
maxflinn:i dont think there ever was a one box solution that was better than seperates, be it hifi, home cinema, tv dvd combo etc, i reckon they are nice little earners for their makers, bought at inflated prices by people willing to pay for the convenience...

They might not be better than separates,but at £460 ,the TEAC I have is far from inflated and does an awful lot to our satisfaction.

i just think that the point already made a few times in this thread seems logical, that a one box solution that costs less than combined components from the same maker is unlikely to sound better than the more expensive seperates..in general..

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
the record spot:Or, the often claimed snippet that people want to reduce the box count, yet, this is just shifting the goalposts when one recognises that buying ADM9.1s removes the amp, but you add a computer, it provides the DAC, but you add an Apple TV, or an Airport Express, or a TV, or whatever.

The boxes may be smaller, or bigger if we're talking a full size TV, but the idea that the box-count is reduced, or negated entirely, is a fallacy.

The vast majority of people already have the computer and the TV and a DVD or BD player, so those should not really be counted as 'extra boxes' (unless one has only just left life in a remote monastery, after many decades, and discovered there is TV and the Internet).

There is no doubt that a NaimUniti (for instance) would reduce the box count from a seperates system and DAC. In my case from four boxes to one. It would reduce four mains cables (and a DC PSU) to one mains cable and also eliminate three interconnects.

ADM9.1s require two mains cables and accomodate an analogue source and two digital sources. If those two sources are your computer and a TV or DVD or BD player then (apart from the monk emerging from Currys with his first telly and computer and hifi*) the chances are your box count IS reduced.

*The monk will probably not find out about AVI until he manages to get online, by which time he has probably already bought a complete 5.1 AV system at the same time as getting the rest of the gear.

Ravey Gravey Davy

Apr 28, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin:Ravey Gravey Davy:

maxflinn:i dont think there ever was a one box solution that was better than seperates, be it hifi, home cinema, tv dvd combo etc, i reckon they are nice little earners for their makers, bought at inflated prices by people willing to pay for the convenience...

They might not be better than separates,but at £460 ,the TEAC I have is far from inflated and does an awful lot to our satisfaction.

They are, effectively, a modern-day music centre...

I had one of those (Sanyo) at University- actually CIS Manchester had it more than me cos it was always breaking down. I ended up after 1 year getting my money back and buying a "ghetto blaster".

Ravey Gravey Davy

Apr 28, 2008
Visit site
maxflinn:Ravey Gravey Davy:

i just think that the point already made a few times in this thread seems logical, that a one box solution that costs less than combined components from the same maker is unlikely to sound better than the more expensive seperates..in general..

I agree- but it depends what you want from it.

Refill time.

A

Anonymous

Ravey Gravey Davy:maxflinn:Ravey Gravey Davy:

Refill time.
i aint biting, this thread aint the place
emotion-15.gif

i made some logical points, thread related.

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
To be fair there isn't a great deal of choice for a one box solution, not hi fi wise. The sub 1k group seems to be good and there are a few hovering just over so apart from the Uniti and B & O at nearly 3K the choice is limited. The next jump would be a Sooloos.

Ravey Gravey Davy

Apr 28, 2008
Visit site
emotion-22.gif
emotion-22.gif
maxflinn:

Ravey Gravey Davy:maxflinn:Ravey Gravey Davy:

Refill time.
i aint biting, this thread aint the place
emotion-15.gif

i made some logical points, thread related.

I meant me with the refill.

Ravey Gravey Davy:plastic penguin:Ravey Gravey Davy:

They are, effectively, a modern-day music centre...

I had one of those (Sanyo) at University- actually CIS Manchester had it more than me cos it was always breaking down. I ended up after 1 year getting my money back and buying a "ghetto blaster".

I think people were introduced to stereo thanks to the music centre, including our family. We bought a JVC from a family friend, so I suppose units like the NaimUniti/Qute has a lot of credance. The all-in-one format has developed from TT/Cassette/tuner to CD/Streaming/tuner configuration. Long may such products continue...

A

Anonymous

chebby:the record spot:Or, the often claimed snippet that people want to reduce the box count, yet, this is just shifting the goalposts when one recognises that buying ADM9.1s removes the amp, but you add a computer, it provides the DAC, but you add an Apple TV, or an Airport Express, or a TV, or whatever.

The boxes may be smaller, or bigger if we're talking a full size TV, but the idea that the box-count is reduced, or negated entirely, is a fallacy.

The vast majority of people already have the computer and the TV and a DVD or BD player, so those should not really be counted as 'extra boxes' (unless one has only just left life in a remote monastery, after many decades, and discovered there is TV and the Internet).

There is no doubt that a NaimUniti (for instance) would reduce the box count from a seperates system and DAC. In my case from four boxes to one. It would reduce four mains cables (and a DC PSU) to one mains cable and also eliminate three interconnects.

ADM9.1s require two mains cables and accomodate an analogue source and two digital sources. If those two sources are your computer and a TV or DVD or BD player then (apart from the monk emerging from Currys with his first telly and computer and hifi*) the chances are your box count IS reduced.

*The monk will probably not find out about AVI until he manages to get online, by which time he has probably already bought a complete 5.1 AV system at the same time as getting the rest of the gear.

i pray for uniti
emotion-55.gif

5431FW.jpg

chebby, i just couldnt resist it
emotion-10.gif

John Duncan

chebby:The monk will probably not find out about AVI until he manages to get online, by which time he has probably already bought a complete 5.1 AV system at the same time as getting the rest of the gear.

See what faith (rather than science) does?

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
chebby:*The monk will probably not find out about AVI until he manages to get online, by which time he has probably already bought a complete 5.1 AV system at the same time as getting the rest of the gear.

You have to ask yourself whether the monk would buy a real hi-fi/AV system, an AVI system, or a 5.1 lifestyle system from Dixons. Chances are, he'd end up with the latter.

Mind you, he'd probably not get that far if he discovers the internet first.....
emotion-2.gif

macipod

Mar 6, 2008
Visit site
crusaderlord:Do you think its more about the quality of the tuner in the new item or the amplification - just wondered if it was possible to use the Naim 5i to amplify and whether that improved things so you could drop 2 of the boxes instead of all 3.

If not then the Solo Neo is worth a look - i really like the rdac myself but i cant compare directly to what you have.

hifi8.JPG

Hi,

Just curious what you have your rdac sitting on look nice...?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts