Was...

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
... it good enough to make me want to go through the hassle of selling my entire system (except speakers) on ebay?

I still can't say after an hour of listening to it today.

So I am going to arrange a demo between it (with my N-Sats) and the Arcam Solo Neo and rDac (with Rega RS1s and RS3s) at a convenient time in the near future. (And mix things up with it and RS3s too.)

I was hoping that the demo* would be a mere 'formality' and that I would be too busy researching Parcel Force postage rates and photographing kit for ebay to be sitting here writing this.

(*they used a well run-in pair of demo PMC DB1is and have had it powered up and playing music for 36 hours by the time I arrived)

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
Will your dealer take your old kit from you, that would alleviate that problem.

So how does 'it' sound compared to yours? Would it be worth it?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
JohnDuncan:Into which I read that it was no worse sonically than your existing kit?

'No worse' would be a very positive take on things!

I would have been thrilled if it had come close to the performance of my NAT05/Nait5i/N-Sats. But, frankly, radio was a bit... "hmmm" and radio (FM, DAB, Internet, Freeview) is seven tenths of the deal for me.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
shooter69:Will your dealer take your old kit from you, that would alleviate that problem.

So how does 'it' sound compared to yours? Would it be worth it?

There is a dealer (not mine) who offered to take the system from me for a 'commission' sale but I would lose about £500 (in total) compared to slugging it out on ebay.

I think my system sounds better. And a slightly better DAC than my Beresford would remove any doubt at all.

JamesOK

May 24, 2008
Visit site
Sounds to me like youve made your mind up anyway! But just in case, not sure whether you have sold much stuff on eBay? I have (including your exact amp and CD player) and have never had a problem. The only hassle bit is getting it to the Post Office.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
JohnDuncan:There's your answer then, shirley?

Mr D is right, if it sounds worse then drop the thought now. Trading down will leave you very unhappy I would imagine given what you have said many times about radio.

JamesOK

May 24, 2008
Visit site
JoelSim:
JohnDuncan:There's your answer then, shirley?

Mr D is right, if it sounds worse then drop the thought now. Trading down will leave you very unhappy I would imagine given what you have said many times about radio.

Its a good point! I have finally found a system I like, and know exactly the feeling when niggly sound quality problems irritate you. It then becomes more about thinking how the system isnt performing to your liking rather than listening to the output its giving you.

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
Definitely worth slugging it out on e-bay for £500.

It's already been noted on a decrease in sonics, would you be happy with that for the convenience?

John Duncan

A question for our other readers - can you tell what it is yet?

rolf_harris_wideweb__470x317,0.jpg

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
JoelSim:Mr D is right, if it sounds worse then drop the thought now. Trading down will leave you very unhappy I would imagine given what you have said many times about radio.

Agreed. I like the sound I have now, and it would be a shame to lose that. (Except for still having an ugly four box system with loads of cables erupting out of the back!)

I assumed that Naim had answered my desires for at least the same sound quality, from one wee box, and without CD.

Just feel a bit flat about the whole experience after waiting since March for this thing to finally emerge from Salisbury.

Maybe if it were the first (and only) Naim item a person had ever heard then it would be brilliant.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Maybe it's asking a bit much for a £1350 product to outperform a £925 CD player, £795 amp and £1025 (in current form) tuner, making a total of £2745.

Have you tried the original NaimUniti? Close though the UnitiQute is to it in sound quality, I still think the NaimUniti has sonic advantages to justify the extra cost.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
JohnDuncan:Ah you see when the word is only two letters (and thin ones at that), it's harder to spot that they're blue...

I was thinking of using "Oh dear, oh dear." with the hyperlink on the full-stop like so.

But I think that phrase is legally protected.

crusaderlord

Apr 29, 2008
Visit site
Do you think its more about the quality of the tuner in the new item or the amplification - just wondered if it was possible to use the Naim 5i to amplify and whether that improved things so you could drop 2 of the boxes instead of all 3.

If not then the Solo Neo is worth a look - i really like the rdac myself but i cant compare directly to what you have.

hifi8.JPG

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Well, sitting here listening to Harry Christophers 'The Sixteen' on R3 FM earlier. (And just look whats on later
emotion-2.gif
)

Mind is (sort of) made up now.

The system will stay.

The NAT05 will see out FM in style until the 'suits' axe it. (Then I will sell it to someone in Europe or the USA or wherever they still have FM by then!)

I will start boring the pants off everyone again about rDacs and Rega Dacs and Spendors and Harbeths and RS3s.

I have compromised with an 'all-in-one' before (albeit a pretty good 5 star one) and shouldn't have raised my expectations so high I suppose.

I am also going to investigate 'prettifying' the Naim boxes and telly with a judicious purchase of a maple or oak Quadraspire AV rack.

I am (sharp intake of breath) going to get the CD5i out from it's exile under the stairs. It's been there for months, all packed up, cleaned up, photographed - for ebay - with transit bolt in place, and the unused remote, waiting for Naim to get their blasted 'Qute out the door.

Who knows? I might enjoy this CD 'malarkey' again.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts