Warner Brothers to go Blu Ray Exclusive (War effectively over)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

I blame Bush too.No really,I have an HD EP30 too and still pleased.I may be the only one that thinks this but I still don`t think this is over.Most people are only thinking of the a/v side of things but what about the computer market?Toshiba are releasing laptops with a HD DVD drive already as opposed to CD/DVD drive,Microsoft back Toshiba,so I think when the next version of Windows comes out,whenever that maybe,Microsoft will use a HD DVD/HD DVD-R/RW(yes,Toshiba are there already)instead of the CD/DVD drive we use now.Put simply,if this is the case,BLU-RAY backers Sony and Samsung will either have to stop producing computers which I cannot see happening,or,pay to use HD DVD drives in their computers,meaning HD DVD will effectively win the war.This may not happen,but as the computer market is as massive as the entertainment market,I think there`s a good chance.If not,Toshiba would have to pay Sony mega- bucks to start making BLU-RAY players if HD DVD fails,or face sinking.I can`t really see this happening folks sorry,HD DVD still has one last card to play,and with Microsoft`s backing the war is far from over.I`d be interested to hear other people`s thoughts on this.Oh by the way,Warner Bros.etc don`t give a toss what`s best for the consumer,they only think of the bank balance!

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Think HD DVD isn't looking too hot in the computer market, either. Sony announced a sub-$200 BD-ROM drive here at CES yesterday, and Pioneer is on the case,too. And with the largest PC company in the world - Dell - backing Blu-ray....

On a separate note, my 1-1 briefing with the HD DVD group - along with all other press briefings - has been cancelled. They're put out a statement that reads more like an obituary than a battle cry.

It's really odd - they have a huge stand out here, and there are HD DVD banners outside CES and on about every taxi in town,but no-one from Tosh or the group wants to talk about it at all!

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Also, why does HD-DVD winning in the computer market (if they did) mean this would translate to them winning the war for standalone films? If most films are released on Blu-Ray, consumers will buy stand-alone Blu-Ray players to watch them. People don't buy computers to watch films and those that do would surely buy a BD-ROM / BD-RW drive if this was the case...

A

Anonymous

[quote user="bot bot"]I blame Bush too.No really,I have an HD EP30 too and still pleased.I may be the only one that thinks this but I still don`t think this is over.Most people are only thinking of the a/v side of things but what about the computer market?Toshiba are releasing laptops with a HD DVD drive already as opposed to CD/DVD drive,Microsoft back Toshiba,so I think when the next version of Windows comes out,whenever that maybe,Microsoft will use a HD DVD/HD DVD-R/RW(yes,Toshiba are there already)instead of the CD/DVD drive we use now.Put simply,if this is the case,BLU-RAY backers Sony and Samsung will either have to stop producing computers which I cannot see happening,or,pay to use HD DVD drives in their computers,meaning HD DVD will effectively win the war.This may not happen,but as the computer market is as massive as the entertainment market,I think there`s a good chance.If not,Toshiba would have to pay Sony mega- bucks to start making BLU-RAY players if HD DVD fails,or face sinking.I can`t really see this happening folks sorry,HD DVD still has one last card to play,and with Microsoft`s backing the war is far from over.I`d be interested to hear other people`s thoughts on this.Oh by the way,Warner Bros.etc don`t give a toss what`s best for the consumer,they only think of the bank balance![/quote]

I don't believe that the computer market will have much of an impact on this battle, it'll be over long before "Joe Public" needs a new PC/laptop. The HD market is tiny compared to standard DVD and the market for playing HD on a PC/laptop is microscopic. If you need the greater capacity for data, then a USB connected Blu-ray drive covers that problem. The operating system doesn't care about HD-DVD/Blu-ray, it's only another hardware device and driver.

Microsoft will continue to back HD-DVD but will be sweating over this (as will Toshiba!). I have no doubt that discussions have taken place regarding how they can eventually bail-out without losing face. It'll be interesting to see what Microsoft do with the Xbox360, imagine Microsoft having to add Blu-ray :)

Watch out for what the current HD-DVD backers do, as soon as they go format neutral and produce Blu-ray as well, you know the "war is over".

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Rock Man"]BTW Andrew - i've still not received my Pirates Ble-Ray discs that i won.

Not a moan as i dont have anything to play them on, i was just expecting them by now.[/quote]

Sorry have delivered a nudge in the appropriate direction. Think the Disney people were away between Christmas and New Year...

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Headfunk"]the deep shade of almost Merlot red look far superior to the some what weaker
Blue Ray blue.[/quote] Blue is actually stronger, with a shorter wavelength than red. Thus it transmits more energy than a red wave of equal amplitude. A purple colour would be stronger still, or if Gamma radiation was a colour, that would be the strongest.

Andy TW

Jul 13, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Clare Newsome"]Think HD DVD isn't looking too hot in the computer market, either. Sony announced a sub-$200 BD-ROM drive here at CES yesterday, and Pioneer is on the case,too. And with the largest PC company in the world - Dell - backing Blu-ray....

[/quote]If you look around the various computer component suppliers the only Drive capable of reading HD-DVD that you can buy seems to be LG's combo drive. Every other drive is Blu-ray and what is (probably) more important for the computer market is the availability of drives which write as well as play. There are already recordable Blu-ray drives on the market wheras HD-DVD doesn't even seem to have a (non-Blu-ray compatible) reader available outside Toshiba's laptops.In the computer market you get the impression that Blu-ray has already won and that this is only likely to change if HD-DVD becomes the consumer format of choice for HD video.Edited to add:There is a Toshiba HD DVD drive available but it doesn't seem to be readily available from the online suppliers I checked.

A

Anonymous

Well,guess I`ll give in and think about buying blu-ray,any one know much about the new Sharp player,I can get it for £330,possibly less if I do my homework,worth it?Don`t regret buying my HD DVD player though.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="bot bot"]Well,guess I`ll give in and think about buying blu-ray,any one know much about the new Sharp player,I can get it for £330,possibly less if I do my homework,worth it?Don`t regret buying my HD DVD player though.[/quote]

There are a few Profile 1.1 players due in the UK in the next couple of months. I'm waiting to see what we get.

A

Anonymous

I think Blu Ray sounds better than HD DVD.

Better saying hey " Would like to see my Blu Ray" as oppposed to "Would you like to see my HD DVD"

A

Anonymous

This was always going to be about content. History (VHS vs Betamax) has shown us that the wider public don't care about the minutiae of specification or the relative merits and demerits of the technology. It's what they can play on it that counts.

The reason that BD has effectively won now thanks to Warners is the simple breadth of library (they have the largest) and the size of their current and new slate - especially when you factor in New Line and WB's relationship with HBO. Just imagine the numbers that LOTR trilogy will do when it comes out on BD (probably in time for Chritsmas ' 08).

DreamWorks are in the Paramount HD camp because Paramount own 'em - but don't forget, DW is a dying force anyway, and Spielberg has specifically endorsed and pushed the BD route. CE3K is BD only, remember. And, let's face it it's his movies that pushed DW's success (with the notable exception of the diminishing Shrek franchise).

Universal will continue for as long as they can given their investment, but those of you waiting for 'The Thing' on BD won't have long to wait, I think!!

The other good thing about a final 'winner' is that economies of scale can now come into place, and prices will fall. That's good news for all of us.

The bad news is that with success will come 'problems'. The days of region free Warners titles are numbered - at least on new titles.

And, yes, Andrew. Some of us are Hollywood 'insiders'. ;-)

A

Anonymous

[quote user="nads"]I still do not see the point in buying an incomplete product.[/quote]

Profile 1.1 is complete enough.

nads

[quote user="Eddiewood"]
[quote user="nads"]I still do not see the point in buying an incomplete product.[/quote]

Profile 1.1 is complete enough.

[/quote]
So what are these 2.0 players they are talking about?

A

Anonymous

im still waiting for a good dual formatt player as i still think its the way to go! when and if the likes of denon release a decent all round player then ill junk my toshiba and ps3 for a one decent deck!

A

Anonymous

I have been a strong advocate of the dual format route but now I'm not so sure. Samsung have been promising the release of their BD-UP5000 for months. Still no news. No mention of a new batch of DFs from the CES. Computers are adopting Blu-ray. Looks like the 'war' has ended much sooner than I thought.

The PS3 remains the best, most up to date player for the money, at the moment. With the forthcoming PVR add-on, it looks like it will stay as my primary source for a while yet.

A

Anonymous

Not to sure on the computers going the blu route, i work in IT and see a lot of differnt makes of pc's and laptops and i see more HD-DVDs than blu disk drives!

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="david1997"]I have been a strong advocate of the dual format route but now I'm not so sure. Samsung have been promising the release of their BD-UP5000 for months. Still no news. No mention of a new batch of DFs from the CES. [/quote]

STOP PRESS! Update on Samsung hybrid player situation here

Also, at the Blu-ray press event here last night, the group stopped short of actually saying they'd 'won' the format war.
"I never put up banners that say "Mission Accomplished"', said Sony chairman, Sir Howard Stringer....

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Clare Newsome"]
Also, at the Blu-ray press event here last night, the group stopped short of actually saying they'd 'won' the format war.
"I never put up banners that say "Mission Accomplished"', said Sony chairman, Sir Howard Stringer....[/quote]
...And I bet he managed to keep the huge smile off his face while he was saying it!

A

Anonymous

Spoke too soon! Mind you it looks like another 5 months before the BD-up5500 arrives on these shores. Wonder what I will wake up to tomorrow. Sony announce PS4?. Colour tv to arrive in UK before decade ends?.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="nads"]
So what are these 2.0 players they are talking about?[/quote]

Profile 2.0 adds the ability to connect the player to the web. I don't see myself running an ethernet cable to my Blu-ray player.

I do occasionally use the extra features and Profile 1.1 players are due so soon that there is little point buying a £500 Profile 1.0 player now, only for it to be out-of-date in the coming months when Profile 1.1 discs are available.

Hence why I believe Profile 1.1 to be complete enough.

A

Anonymous

"Paramount's current plan is to continue to support the HD
DVD format, Brenda Ciccone, a spokeswoman for Paramount, said
in an e-mail today."

Yes, I am sure it is. They can "continue to support the HD DVD format" at the same time as producing Blu-ray. :)

Carefully worded comment that one, I bet there is a clause that states they can go dual format, or as the report suggested, can ditch HD-DVD if Warner moved to Blu-ray.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Clare Newsome"]Think HD DVD isn't looking too hot in the computer market, either. Sony announced a sub-$200 BD-ROM drive here at CES yesterday, and Pioneer is on the case,too. And with the largest PC company in the world - Dell - backing Blu-ray....

On a separate note, my 1-1 briefing with the HD DVD group - along with all other press briefings - has been cancelled. They're put out a statement that reads more like an obituary than a battle cry.
It's really odd - they have a huge stand out here, and there are HD DVD banners outside CES and on about every taxi in town,but no-one from Tosh or the group wants to talk about it at all![/quote]

Expect BDs on macs in the very near future. Macworld is on in a couple of months.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Eddiewood"][quote user="nads"]

So what are these 2.0 players they are talking about?[/quote]

Profile 2.0 adds the ability to connect the player to the web. I don't see myself running an ethernet cable to my Blu-ray player.

I do occasionally use the extra features and Profile 1.1 players are due so soon that there is little point buying a £500 Profile 1.0 player now, only for it to be out-of-date in the coming months when Profile 1.1 discs are available.

Hence why I believe Profile 1.1 to be complete enough.

[/quote]

Agreed completely. While some people might have an interest in 2.0 most will be happy with profile 1.1. But if you have the PS3 you will have both;)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts