Warm sounding or forward sounding??

umbucker

Feb 20, 2008
Visit site
Hi all
I am in the early process of researching speakers to replace my current tannoy revolution signature dc6t speakers. I am told these are very forward sounding and I get that. They are very bright and in your face. I recently went to my father in laws and he has some old audiovector F3/lyd speakers and I have to say they totally blow my tannoys away. The sound is far far more pleasing to my ears....do you think they could be warm and that is what my ears prefer ? They sounded so natural but with crystal clear top end. Can anyone advise what sound charictoristic these speakers have and why I prefer them to my tannoys. Also what modern speakers around £3k would be comparable. I’m keen at auditioning the ma fold g5 200
Thanks

umbucker

Feb 20, 2008
Visit site
I should also point out that this will be and is part of a surround system on both our houses and they are both running from AVR. Mine is the much higher spec AVR 6400 and his is the lower pewter 2600 so the superior sound is def nothing to do with the amp

Jimboo

His cheaper amp and speakers sound better you said. Try his speakers on your system and yours on his. Demo various different brands and see how much money and what amp combination suits your ears.

umbucker

Feb 20, 2008
Visit site
What it the rest of your system? That would help.

hi. My full system is tannoy revolution signature dc6t. Dc6 centre. Dc4 rear. Velodyne spl1000 ultra and demon 6400h AVR.
I’m just really trying to establish if anyone has heard the F3/LYD speakers and offer modern day equivalents to the characteristics those speakers.
cheers

umbucker

Feb 20, 2008
Visit site
His cheaper amp and speakers sound better you said. Try his speakers on your system and yours on his. Demo various different brands and see how much money and what amp combination suits your ears.
Sorry jumboo I don’t think I made myself very clear in my post. We both have the same amp but mine is the more powerful version with the better room eq (audessey)
just really trying to establish the characteristics of his f4/lyd speakers so I have a starting point when researching new speakers. I just want to add that his speakers arnt ‘cheeper’ ’ than mine. They are from the 70s and still go for £1500 second hand/40 years old.

Sorry jumboo I don’t think I made myself very clear in my post. We both have the same amp but mine is the more powerful version with the better room eq (audessey)
just really trying to establish the characteristics of his f4/lyd speakers so I have a starting point when researching new speakers. I just want to add that his speakers arnt ‘cheeper’ ’ than mine. They are from the 70s and still go for £1500 second hand/40 years old.
Are you using the room EQ? These things aren’t necessarily the answer. Your rooms may well be making a significant difference, but as you acknowledge, your Tannoys aren’t exactly self-effacing!

rainsoothe

Hi. If it's not a big inconvenience, do try swapping your speakers for his. But for what it's worth, for stereo, a dedicated stereo amp will fare better. Anyway, Harbeth comes to mind if you fancy a speaker change. When you have the budget, demo a Naim integrated amp with AV bypass function so you can integrate it in your system.

D

Deleted member 116933

The EQ in this situation is going to be affecting the speaker's sound substantially , ie the amp will make them sound how it wants them too/thinks they should.

Having said that vintage speakers have a very different sound and tuned in a very different way.

Tannoy legacy series eg etons or Wharfedale lintons are modern examples of old-style tuning (more so the tannoy legacy series) if you have the cash thats what id put on the list or some Klipsch Heritage line speakers, perhaps the forte 3's or heresy 4's. Big bold not bright but airy at least wiht the right amp.

But sai above take your amp round his or borrow the speakers if you can.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts