WANTED - NJC headphone amplifier

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
If anyone here ever considers selling theirs please let me know and I'll buy it off you.

Also if anyone ever sees one for sale elsewhere on the internet it would be much appreciated if you could draw my attention to it.

Thanks,
Steve

:)

I've heard very good things about njc gear.Almost bought their phono stage but couldn't wait for the build time . I'm just too impatient.lol.

Ps.i've also looked many times for used njc gear on the bay and guess what.....it never comes up which suggests people don't want to part with it once they've got it.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Mark Rose-Smith said:
I've heard very good things about njc gear.

Me too. I've just bought one of their DACs (second hand) and would like the matching headphone amp to go with it.

Mark Rose-Smith said:
Ps.i've also looked many times for used njc gear on the bay and guess what.....it never comes up

I know.

It could be a looooooong wait.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Mark Rose-Smith said:
I wouldn't say they're overly expensive Steve.just save a bit more and grab a new one....

I may well end up doing that eventually. But I don't mind waiting so we'll see what the future brings...

Really I'd prefer to wait a while and get a second had one though. That way it's effectively an investment as well as being a nice 'thing' to own. If ever I fall on hard times in the future it's good to have the option of being able to sell things for more or less what I paid for them to get the money back.

I took the same approach with my HD700 headphones, DM5 speakers and Technics record player - none of them get used all that often but as they were bought second hand they're still worth what I originally paid for them. It's like having a bit of money tucked away in case I ever need it and in the mean time I get to enjoy owning and using some funky hifi toys.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Paulq said:
Good news Steve - am sure you will love it. Let us know what you think.

I'll have to wait another week for the amplifier but the NJC DAC arrived this morning. It's a beautifully made piece of kit. You can tell that it's a real labour of love for two guys who make them. Every millimeter of the casework oozes quality. Even the bits that you don't see like the machined feet and sockets at the back look like they belong on a Rolls Royce or a Bugatti.

It sounds good too. Or rather it doesn't add anything to the sound which is just as it should be. I like the way they include a print out of the unique output measurements taken for each individual DAC they make and include it in the box. It's a nice personal touch and AFAICT it has ultra low levels fo distortion.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
I am now the proud owner of both an NJC Reference DAC and the matching NJC Monitor II headphone amplifier (many thanks to Bigbob666 from the AVI forum and GaryT from the PFM forum who were both a pleasure to deal with). Both items arrived well packaged and in mint condition. Best of all I only paid half the RRP price!
big_smile.png

The build quality is really good as would be expected with a hand made headphone amplifer/DAC combo which originally cost in excess of £800. In fact the build quality is some of the best that I've ever seen on any piece of electrical equipment anywhere - you can tell that the guys at NJC take great pride and are very passionate about the equipment they make.

A nice personal touch is that each unit that NJC make is individually tested and a print out of each items unique distortion measurement results are included with the manual. Unsurprisingly given the impressive ultra low distortion measurements, the sound quality is really good with my Sennheiser HD700 headphones. Very clear and smooth with no hint of any background noise or hiss at all.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
So it's time for an update on life so far with the NJC pair.

Well it didn't get off to a good start. I didn't notice it at first but shortly after writing the review above I found that the amplifier has a fault where it works fine for about an hour then the right earphone suddenly cuts out and goes silent. If I switched it off for half an hour then try it again it continued to work fine for about an hour before cutting out again.

So I contacted Nick at NJC to ask his advice. He was surprised to hear from me as all their products have been extremely reliable so far but he was very friendly and helpful nonetheless. Even though I'd bought the amplifier second hand and it was past it's 3 year warranty (by just 2 months) he suggested that I post it to him and he'd take a look at it. When he received it he spent two days continuously running it under load and taking measurements but as far as his tests were showing everything in the amplifier section was still functioning perfectly.

After hearing this it occurred to me is that when one ear cut out it was very hot in my room which receives a lot of direct sunlight and can sometimes get uncomfortably warm in the summer. As the issue only happened after it was running for over an hour but went away again once it was switched off it might possibly be a temperature related problem? Maybe something is expanding and contracting causing a bad connection somewhere?

I mentioned this to Nick who then placed the entire amplifier in a process that heats it to an ambient temperature of 53C. They usually only perform this on prototypes since this temperature is beyond anything found in a normal environment but it does highlight any thermal related issues. However, the amplifier continued to function perfectly with not a single problem over a two hour period.

The only thing left that it could be was a damaged headphone socket. IMO this is far more likely to have been damaged by the previous owner being heavy handed when plugging his headphones in rather than it being a fault of NJC. The socket they use is of the highest quality available and the rest of the amplifier itself is in mint condition apart from a tiny sign of wear at the headphone socket. So Nick very kindly replaced the headphone socket free of charge and posted it back to me.

Wow! I mean really. Wow! (I remind you it was bought second hand, it was past it's 3 year warranty and the fault was most probably due to damage caused by misuse rather than a fault with the actual amplifier itself).

That's really great customer service backed up by good communication letting me know at every stage what was happening. In fact the service I received from NJC is the best that I've ever come across in my entire life. If anyone is ever considering buying something from NJC do so with upmost confidence. They' re excellent to deal with.

Oh and how does it sound now? Well I've had it back for two days and it's been playing continuously for several hours on both days without any issue. It's fixed and it sounds brilliant!

I haven't done a direct back to back comparison to my O2 amp so this may be my imagination here. But I'd swear that the NJC controls the bass better on my HD700s than the O2 does. Either way, the NJC sounds perfect in every respect and I'm over the moon with it.
big_smile.png

Thank you very much Nick for your help.
smile.png

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Also thank you to Gary on PFM who sold it. As the issue was intermittent he probably had no idea it was damaged when he sold it. He also reimbursed the £22 Royal Mail charges it cost me for posting it to and from NJC which was very kind of him as he didn't have to do that. :)

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Mark Rose-Smith said:
That's great news Steve....I always thought njc gear looked quality kit and now I'll be making my next hp amp purchase a njc one.the phono stage and step up transformer also look like good value units.

I've never read a bad word about NJC anywhere. They're top class products from a top class company. If ever I decide to upgrade my el chepo £20 Behringer phono stage it'll be replaced with an NJC one no question.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
nopiano said:
Good to read of this great service and everyone acting with integrity. One sometimes gets a bit jaundiced that so much in our hobby is 'foo' or overpriced, but this has a happy ending. I'll remember NJC.

Touch wood. I've been very lucky buying and selling equipment on hifi forums over the years. Everything has always gone smoothly.

The few times that I've bought and sold items on the AVI forum it was with people that I've been friends with for a few years so knew that there would be virtually no risk there.

The two times I've sold stuff on AVForum it was with to a stranger but I checked their previous history and they'd both been members for a several years and regularly posted there. They'd also bought and sold items there before and received good feedback so they seemed pretty safe. Really they were the ones taking a chance buying from me as I was a first time seller with no feedback. We arranged it so that they only paid 50% up front then the other 50% when the items arrived which seemd like a fair deal to split the risk.

The NJC amp bought from Pink Fish Media was the biggest gamble as the seller had no prior selling history but he has been a member there for many years. Reading his previous posts I also noted that a month ago he had just bought a second hand Sennheiser HDVD800 headphone amplifier from another member which explains why he now had the NJC amp available. It was reading this (and the fact that it might take years before another NJC amp became available second hand) which lead me to take a chance and buy from a complete stranger with no selling history.

IME buying and selling on hifi forums is generally pretty safe provided you're sensible about it and do a bit of reasearch on the buyer/seller to check they're established members with a good reputation before you hand over any money. Buying and selling this way also saves you paying eBay fees.

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
Glad you got it sorted. NJC are a shining example of why, where possible, I try to support UK audio businesses. My system comprises of NJC, Linn, Kudos and Nord which are supplied through IQ Speakers. Without exception all of them have excelled with help and customer/after sales service and make excellent products in the first place.

Hope you can now enjoy the NJC; as I have said previously it's an excellent choice.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts