Want to Open Mission MX Speaker

radovantz

Jul 25, 2008
Visit site
Hi. I want to ask whether you have openned Mission MX speakers, to
find out if they come with foam sheet installed inside the box.

I bought Mission MX3 floorstand & MXC2 center speaker.

Their finish looks like they need extra care in order to avoid scratches.

If somebody can confirm to me that the speaker is already assembled with foam, I may not have to open it. :)

Thank you guys.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
I don't understand your query at all. If the two Mission MX speakers come in a box, with or without foam sheet between the two speakers, what difference will that make when you open the box to take out the speakers? And if they don't have a foam sheet, you'll just have to be careful when you take out first one speaker and then the other, from the cardboard box.

radovantz said:
I may not have to open it.
smile.gif

Eh?? I don't see you will use the speakers without opening the box!!!

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
Son_of_SJ said:
I don't understand your query at all. If the two Mission MX speakers come in a box, with or without foam sheet between the two speakers, what difference will that make when you open the box to take out the speakers? And if they don't have a foam sheet, you'll just have to be careful when you take out first one speaker and then the other, from the cardboard box.

radovantz said:
I may not have to open it.

Eh?? I don't see you will use the speakers without opening the box!!!

I think the OP is wondering whether the speakers use foam damping inside the cabinets, not foam packing inside the box in which they are delivered.

I'm sure the WHSV tech bods, or Mission, or failing that a chainsaw, will be able to provide the answer.

(Mind you, if you're right, and it's about the packing inside the carton, then this is a bizarre question even by the standards of this forum!)

radovantz

Jul 25, 2008
Visit site
Thank you for your response guys.

Everytime I purchase new speakers, I always open the unit to add foam inside them.

I openned Wharfedale Diamond 9 & 10 series, also the Mission M3 series. These speakers were not assembled with foam inside them, therefore they sound a bit hard in bass. They sound much better when I added the foam sheet inside them.

I openned Mordaunt-Short MS-905Ci to do the same DIY project, but MS-905Ci was originally assembled with foam, therefore I didn't have to do anything.

I think my new Mission MX speakers also have no foam inside them because the bass ocassionally hard. But I need to think twice and seek info before openning this model because they seems so easily scratched.

Maybe I have to wait for perfect timing to open this unit with full care.

I believe Mission company wouldn't allow their products to be openned by users a.k.a. "unauthorised personel" with reason that it shall void the warranty. :)

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
chebby said:

Wow. Well done for digging up that thread from six years ago, chebby! At least this thread is doing better, he got no responses six years ago!

radovantz said:
Thank you for your response guys.

Everytime I purchase new speakers, I always open the unit to add foam inside them.

I was going to say "Why???" but I read from the heading of your posting number 7 that the aim is to reduce colouration, ah, I see ........

radovantz said:
I believe Mission company wouldn't allow their products to be openned by users a.k.a. "unauthorised personel" with reason that it shall void the warranty. :)

This bit I certainly agree with!

Inserting foam inside new speakers seems a strange thing to do, but you've been doing it for years, with Wharfedale and Mission speakers, so, as long as they sound better to YOUR ears, more power to your elbow!

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
If colouration can be reduced and sound improved at a cost of a few pence and a little foam then good luck to you. But dont u recon manufacturers would have thought of this one?

radovantz

Jul 25, 2008
Visit site
For Mission MX series, I am not sure whether this foam is already inserted in the cabinet during production or not. According to my past experience with other models, there were no foam. I am sure that the manufacturer try to cut cost while take advantage by not letting users to open the product in the name of warranty.

Foam is an important part in speaker assembly. It reduces air turbulence inside the cabinet, thus eliminates bass colouration. The sound is therefore produced 100% from its drivers.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts