want a good valve amp for spendor A6

rrm

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
I tried this before but I'll try again. Can anyone recommend( preferably based on experience) a valve amp that drives the spendor A 6 well ?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
What is your budget and your room size?

Maybe something like this: http://www.audioaffair.co.uk/Icon-Audio-Stereo-60-MkIII-Valve-Amplifier/product_5190

ifor

Dec 3, 2002
Visit site
What about a solid state amp that sounds like a valve amp?

http://www.gspaudio.co.uk/power-amp.htm

You can get a two week home loan to try them out.

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
ifor said:
What about a solid state amp that sounds like a valve amp?

How does it manage to do that then ?

bluedroog said:
Or try something hybrid from Croft.

Well that aint a valve amp either then ,is it.

Is it me ??.

@ the OP. Echoing Cno here , what budget do you have in mind ?.

Are you thinking. Integrated or Pre- Monos or Pre- stereo power ??.

If you mean 'experience' with the Spendors and a Valve amp, well I would hazard a guess that the odds of that on here are close to zip.

What amp/amps are you using now. Main source ?. Music preferences ?.

What dont you like about how your music is coming across now ?. Or is this a case of wanting to scratch an itch ?.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
floyd droid said:
What dont you like about how your music is coming across now ?. Or is this a case of wanting to scratch an itch ?.

Of course, a well engineered valve amplifier does not necesserely need to sound like most people (usually the ones that never heard one) imagine. Audio Research, Macintosh amongst others are just some examples. Problem with valve amplifiers is that good build, power and sound is even closer related to the quality of parts used (and weight) than with other topologies and that costs.

regards

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
drummerman said:
Of course, a well engineered valve amplifier does not necesserely need to sound like most people (usually the ones that never heard one) imagine. Audio Research, Macintosh amongst others are just some examples.

Hallelujah !!. I've been waiting for 'warm' rubbish to flood in. Your examples put that to rest big time.

Good post sweetheart.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
floyd droid said:
drummerman said:
Of course, a well engineered valve amplifier does not necesserely need to sound like most people (usually the ones that never heard one) imagine. Audio Research, Macintosh amongst others are just some examples.

Halleujah !!. I've been waiting for 'warm' rubbish to flood in. Your examples put that to rest big time.

Good post sweetheart.

Ahem, pleasure pet but then again, 'warm' is what some designers intend for their products to sound like. No hard and fast rules, whatever floats someones boat ... . Its just more involved to design distortion out of products, no matter what the topology is.

Merry Xmas

regards

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
drummerman said:
Ahem, pleasure pet but then again, 'warm' is what some designers intend for their products to sound like. No hard and fast rules, whatever floats someones boat ... .

Absolutely , this is why I posed some questions to the OP.

Happy Christmas to you too .

rrm

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
I listen to a lot of classical and classic pop /rock from the 60s/70s with a plinius 8200 integrated driving the spendors.

The sound is smoooth and balanced but lacks space texture and presence compared to what I once heard from a Conrad johnson valve amp driving my old Epos es 14s.The tonal qualities of that amp were glorious even though it had a soggy bottom end.

Hoping to hear of something which can produce the space and bloom I heard then but allow the spendors to keep their quickness. I realise that may demand quite a few watts-which could be expensive.....

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
rrm said:
I listen to a lot of classical and classic pop /rock from the 60s/70s with a plinius 8200 integrated driving the spendors.

The sound is smoooth and balanced but lacks space texture and presence compared to what I once heard from a Conrad johnson valve amp driving my old Epos es 14s.The tonal qualities of that amp were glorious even though it had a soggy bottom end.

Hoping to hear of something which can produce the space and bloom I heard then but allow the spendors to keep their quickness. I realise that may demand quite a few watts-which could be expensive.....

Given your brief, I think you should try to hear my suggestion: http://www.hifichoice.co.uk/news/article/icon-audio-stereo-60-mk-3--pound;1700/9576

bluedroog

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
@ driod - No it isn't, just a suggestion as a good combination I heard. Perhaps something op hasn't considered and could be of use. Merry Christmas. (?)

hoopsontoast

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
On the lower end:

Audion Sterling KT88/EL84

Puresound A10 and A30

Consonance Cyber series

http://www.decoaudio.com/deco_audio_integrated_amps.html

Ming Da 18w SET KT90

http://www.bd-audio.co.uk/Ming-Da-MC368-B902.html

Of those I have had the Audion Sterling Plus SE KT88 and a Consonance Cyber 10SE KT88 SET and heard the Ming Da 18w SET KT90 and they are all great, the Ming Da being probably the best and the Audion close behind.

My favourite I have owned is the Decware Zen, an SV83/EL84 based SET amp with a massive 2wpc, probably not the most suitable but the best I have heard. Got a Puresound A10 coming hopefully in the next week.

Audionote Oto is one of the best I have heard as well, around £1k used and around £1.8k new IIRC. Uses EL84 tubes which I seem to prefer to the KT88/EL34 SE and PP designs

Another lovely valve power amp I have spent a day with was an original Radford STA-15, which was very nice.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts