Wall mounted/bookshelf

willie45

May 22, 2008
Visit site
Hi

My wife is on the go for redesigining our living room. The problem is my speakers. I have a pair of floorstanders (PMC GBi )and their not ideally placed so I do a lot of my listening through headphones which is fine. However I'm considering ditching these and sticking a pair of bookshelf speakers either side of the amplifier ( Hegel 160 ) instead. I've gathered shelves are a poor option but wall mounts might work. Is this a mad move? If not can you recommend sutable speakers and would it just be a case of sticking a small wall mount either side of the amp and putting these speakers on it?

The reason I wonder if it might work is because I don't listen to loud rock other than on my phones and I listen to a lot of acoustic music and classical.

What do you reckon?

BTW the room is L-shaped and the bit we'd be sitting in is around 9ft x 16 ft and we'd be sitting across from the speakers on the 9ft side ie we'd bde around 7 or 8 ft from them.

jimmy1

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
It really isolates the speakers very well wall mouting but ive only ever tried it on brick wall, they were jamo d165's (yes i know they are poo) but they sounded so much better right in the top corners of the room angled down to listening position so i can only imagine with better speakers it will work a treat

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
If you like PMC and you're looking for speakers to put close up to the wall, I'd suggest you try the two Wafer on-wall models. They are rather similar to the Twenty.21 and Twenty.22 respectively, but optimised for on-wall use. The in-wall versions are even more discrete, but a little too drastic, I guess (unless your living room make-over will be that drastic anyway).

You might get a good part-exchange deal sticking to the same PCM-dealer...

D

Deleted member 108165

PMC wafers are a good call or look at any of the smaller PMC's. DB1's work well against a wall as long as you don't want night club volume levels.

willie45

May 22, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for your advice folks. I'm afraid the Wafers are out of my budget at the moment so I might look at DB1s if I can find a pair. If anyone has other recommendations along these lines I'd be happy to hear them

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
willie45 said:
If anyone has other recommendations

I guess it's way too late to say don't marry someone who doesn't understand hifi is important to you. Hope you are able to find a happy compromise. Marriage is all about give and take (both ways) but when it comes to hifi it always seems males sure do a lot of giving.

nick8858

Aug 8, 2011
Visit site
Bookshelf or wall mount (they have a ready made screw hole for a bracket in the back). Mine are on bookshelves quite close to the wall and work just fine. In fact a ridiculous sound from such a small box. Wheres the sub someone said. I haven't got one was the answer

The only problem with mounting speakers with a wall bracket, is you generally have no control over the distance from the wall, and therefore, no control over the sound - you're stuck with whatever they sound like. At least on a shelf you have numerous isolation options (as long it's a fairly sturdy shelf to begin with).

For bookshelf, have a look at the Ophidian Minimo speakers, which although rear ported, don't fire high velocity air out the back like most. If you put your hand against the rear port, there's very little airflow, so you're able to use them closer to a wall than most "bookshelf" speakers. I'm currently listening to the Minimos with a Hegel H90 in a larger room than yours and about 10ft away.

If floorstanders are out purely because of the space they usually need, have a look at the Larsen 4.2. Off the top of my head, they're shorter than the GB1 but wider, although their footprint is a little larger at 9"x10". Larsen are designed to work up against a wall, so are ideal for a large number of average/small size living rooms, or spaces where floor space is precious.

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
willie45 said:
Thanks for your advice folks. I'm afraid the Wafers are out of my budget at the moment so I might look at DB1s if I can find a pair. If anyone has other recommendations along these lines I'd be happy to hear them

I can confirm that the DB1's work very well on wall using the dedicated PMC wall brackets that screw into the captive threads already in the back of the speakers.

I installed a pair of DB1i's on wall for a friend of mine a few years ago and they sound absolutely fantastic with no sound quality issues at all, in fact the rigidity of fixing and proximity to the wall seem to improve the sound especially bass attack.

http://pmc-speakers.com/products/consumer/hifi-accessories/db1-gold-wall-bracket

https://www.canford.co.uk/Products/Archive/76-242_PMC-DB1+-BRACKET-Wall-for-DB1S+-loudspeaker-pair

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts