Wadia 121 and digital preamplifier

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
acalex said:
How I see the trip would be something like this

- Pick up at local airport of Brussels and welcome with a full italian home-made meal with some pasta, meat/fish, homemade dessert (tiramusu), lot of great italian wine and of course espresso coffee from moka machine.

- Good listening of local systems (Jadis +SF at mine and AMS + Avalon at Roby's)

- Trip to our Audio Nirvana shop, where we could arrange a dream demo with a full reference Audio Research system driving a pair of Sonus Faber Amati Futura graphite or eventually the SF Stradivari Palladio edition (last pair available worldwide :D).

- Enjoying Belgian specialties like beer, moules frites, gauffres, carbonnade... ;)

- The best eat-out italian restaurant in Brussels (by far) with eventually nice Jazz concert in my favorite venue in Bx

Just got started... :cheers:

That'll do nicely Sir! A reciprocal arrangement will then have to be forthcoming...provided I can bribe the rather prickly Mrs. Cno. :shifty:

Of course, whenever the time is right it will be a pleasure for me :cheers:

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
acalex said:
tino said:
The Wadia has adjustable output levels .. does yours show 1.0, 2.0 or 4.0V on the LED display? The M2Tech has about 2.65V rms which might account for the difference in output levels and why you have to adjust the volume on the Jadis.

Nope, just a volume label with 6 blue leds...I put it on MAX volume (so all 6 leds on)

Hi ... Check out page 19 of the manual on how to set the output level ... http://www.moon-audio.com/Manuals/121%20User%20Manual.pdf

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
tino said:
acalex said:
tino said:
The Wadia has adjustable output levels .. does yours show 1.0, 2.0 or 4.0V on the LED display? The M2Tech has about 2.65V rms which might account for the difference in output levels and why you have to adjust the volume on the Jadis.

Nope, just a volume label with 6 blue leds...I put it on MAX volume (so all 6 leds on)

Hi ... Check out page 19 of the manual on how to set the output level ... http://www.moon-audio.com/Manuals/121%20User%20Manual.pdf

Great, thanks a lot for this.

I am actually not sure what this mean...why I should want the output level to be at 4V instead of 2V? Sorry for dumb question :)

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
tino said:
I would check that it is 2V .. And not 1V ... I think that 4V is excessive and may cause clipping.

Now it's on 2V, but what's the difference technically between 2 and 4V? What's this voltage for? :)

Neuphonix

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Alex,

I have one word for you

Akurate....... :dance:

Stop faffing about & listen to one! I wouldn't bother with the Majik, keep on saving.

But as mentioned earlier, I doubt that any digital source is ever going to quite manage the "smoothness" of a high end turntable? :?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Neuphonix said:
I have one word for you

Akurate....... :dance:

Stop faffing about & listen to one! I wouldn't bother with the Majik, keep on saving.

Good grief man, you're worse than me! :twisted:

Neuphonix

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Reckon you can find a spare seat at the table for me?! :grin:

As mentioned in my old thread I found the difference between the Majik & the Akurate to be quite startling.

Apart from the streaming/user interface aspect I doubt I would have gone for the Majik, it sounded a little flat to me. That being said I didn't ever get the chance to listen to it at home on my system.

& then there's the extra whatever % to be gained by using balanced inputs on the Akurate as well.

I just reckon that Alex would be better off being patient and waiting untill the funds are available, even if it takes a few extra months to get there.

There's got to be great deals to be had, especially if you are prepared to look internationally. Not meaning to pick over the bones of all those HiFi retailers out there who are doing it tough at the moment, but you'll definitely find one that has a demo unit who just wants to shift it on as quickly as possible. A little aggressive negotiation & he should get at least 25% off.

Also set up a saved search in Ebay so that you get alerts if anyone lists a second hand unit. They won't come up often & you want to know your prices & be ready to strike if one does get listed.

I guess we'll know a bit more after Tuesday? Danger Danger!

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
acalex said:
tino said:
I would check that it is 2V .. And not 1V ... I think that 4V is excessive and may cause clipping.

Now it's on 2V, but what's the difference technically between 2 and 4V? What's this voltage for? :)

The voltage refers to the maximum analogue output voltage of the DAC. For a given voltage input your amp will have a certian loudness (gain) for a given volume setting. If the input voltage is bigger and the volume control is in the same place the amplifier will be louder. This is why when switching your amp between different sources with different output levels, they can have different volume levels. However I've just read that bit of the manual myself and it refes to the output sensitivity of the headphone output .. so ignore everything I said :doh:

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Neuphonix said:
As mentioned in my old thread I found the difference between the Majik & the Akurate to be quite startling.

Apart from the streaming/user interface aspect I doubt I would have gone for the Majik, it sounded a little flat to me. That being said I didn't ever get the chance to listen to it at home on my system.

& then there's the extra whatever % to be gained by using balanced inputs on the Akurate as well.

I just reckon that Alex would be better off being patient and waiting untill the funds are available, even if it takes a few extra months to get there.

In some ways you have a point....but if you can get a Majik DS at half price, you can then enjoy it until funds appear, and then sell it on for not that big a loss. Linn gear usually sells well.

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
There is a spare seat at the table of course if you can get to Belgium ;)

I know, but at the moment I have nothing except the SBT which is, franly speaking, not as involving as it was anymore. Adding a over 1k euro DAC has helped a lot, but I recognize I might prefer to go for a single unit at this stage and set have finally a final decent setup (with new speakers and a digital source which is at least close to the lever which the system deserves).

Plus as Cno said getting a Majik at less than half price with Silver Linn interconnect on top is too much of a deal to pass it...

But let's wait for Tuesday :cheers:

Neuphonix

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
True on the Majik deal, can't argue that the value is there.

Would be willing to bet a pot of mussells & a round of ales that you will be looking at things differently after Tuesday though! :cheers:

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Neuphonix said:
True on the Majik deal, can't argue that the value is there.

Would be willing to bet a pot of mussells & a round of (xxxx) GUINNESS that you will be looking at things differently after Tuesday though! :cheers:

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Neuphonix said:
Guiness? In Belgium? That's blasphemous!

Like a Pom going to Italy & having fish & chips! :p

Pint of Leffe or Duvel would be better :)

Be prepared as the beer here in belgium is quite strong in terms of alchol % ;)

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Last time I was in Brussels was drunk in charge of a 6 seater bike thing... God knows what I was drinking then... bearing in mind I'm totally blind and was stearing the thing! LOL

Mac

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Macspur said:
Last time I was in Brussels was drunk in charge of a 6 seater bike thing... God knows what I was drinking then... bearing in mind I'm totally blind and was stearing the thing! LOL

Mac

Ahaha yes the drunk bike, good one! :cheers:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts