Wadia 121 and digital preamplifier

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Hello everybody,

I just got a brand new Wadia 121 for an home demo, quickly got out of the box, connected to my SB through a toslink cable, connected to the Jadis through analog out and started playing.

I am wondering one thing...is there any way to exclude the digital preamp? Cz now I am changing the volume using the remote of the Wadia...not sure this is a good/bad thing in terms of sound quality. Can anybody more techy explain advantages/disadvantages of using the on board digital preamplifier of the Wadia and if there is anyway not to use it?

Thanks a lot

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
As far as I understand, the digital volume control cannot be bypassed, I guess I will leave it on MAX and controlling the volume using the Jadis only.

Couldn't find a power-off button, I guess the unit is made to be left on all the time...there is a button to reduce brightness though.

The unit itself is nicely built, is much nicer than the M2Tech, has nice blu leds and a very nice remote. It has also a buil-in headphone amp, not bad as a start.

What about the sound? I like it...a lot actually. It will be a keeper if the Majik DS won't blow my mind...I do think it's a step up from the M2Tech. It's a very musical DAC and music played through is very involving. You want to move and enjoy...Keb mo album was stunning. Sound is very open, all details are there...will listen a bit more and report back

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Sorry, please see comment on my DS thread: http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/the-linn-ds-dsm-thread?page=2#comment-2780612

oldric_naubhoff

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
acalex said:
now I am changing the volume using the remote of the Wadia...not sure this is a good/bad thing in terms of sound quality. Can anybody more techy explain advantages/disadvantages of using the on board digital preamplifier of the Wadia and if there is anyway not to use it?

I don't know how many steps this Wadia has but I would say if you're fiddling with the volume in the most upper 25% of the scale you shouldn't worry about any SQ degradation.

digital preamp works in that way that it reduces bit depth of a sample. so in case of Red Book you're automatically reducing sound quality. but Wadia upsamples so there's still some margin left for volume ctrl before so called "bit truncating" kicks in.

I personally prefer hi-q passive potentiometer though.

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
oldric_naubhoff said:
acalex said:
now I am changing the volume using the remote of the Wadia...not sure this is a good/bad thing in terms of sound quality. Can anybody more techy explain advantages/disadvantages of using the on board digital preamplifier of the Wadia and if there is anyway not to use it?

I don't know how many steps this Wadia has but I would say if you're fiddling with the volume in the most upper 25% of the scale you shouldn't worry about any SQ degradation.

digital preamp works in that way that it reduces bit depth of a sample. so in case of Red Book you're automatically reducing sound quality. but Wadia upsamples so there's still some margin left for volume ctrl before so called "bit truncating" kicks in.

I personally prefer hi-q passive potentiometer though.

I am actually using it for now with 100 volume (is a 6 steps scale)

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
The more I listen to it the more I have the impression is introducing a little bit of brightness in my system I was not used before...I am indeed quite tired now after not such a long-listen and enjoying the silence between the tracks...

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
acalex said:
The more I listen to it the more I have the impression is introducing a little bit of brightness in my system I was not used before...I am indeed quite tired now after not such a long-listen and enjoying the silence between the tracks...

Not good, but early days.

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
acalex said:

Not good, but early days.

The "weird" thing is that my girlfriend said that now the sound is not as smooth as it was before :?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
acalex said:
The "weird" thing is that my girlfriend said that now the sound is not as smooth as it was before :?

IMO. The more vinyl you listen to on a good TT, the fussier you get about a digital source....thus taking something as good as the Electro to live up to the new raised expectation.

That is why this hobby is so dangerous (and addictive).

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I have the impression the M2Tech was smoother than the Wadia as I haven't felt this in the past 3 weeks, not for a single moment. But the M2Tech was a well used unit, this was again brand new out of the box unit.

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Realized something this morning...I need to put the volume of the Jadis quite a bit louder compared to what I was used before now that I am using the Wadia 121 in the middle, is that normal?

Volume on Wadia is 100%.

Thanks

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
acalex said:
Realized something this morning...I need to put the volume of the Jadis quite a bit louder compared to what I was used before now that I am using the Wadia 121 in the middle, is that normal?

Volume on Wadia is 100%.

Thanks

Not a clue, just get a DS and stop messing about! :shifty: ;)

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
acalex said:

Volume on Wadia is 100%.

Thanks

Then you will finally come to see the system when I get a DS? :D

:cheers:

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
acalex said:

It's been on my "Bucket List" for some time.

I will expect an audiophile and gastronomic tour of the very finest that Belgium has to offer!! 8).....as well as meeting the Brussels Massive for an "excellent adventure". :dance:

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
The Wadia has adjustable output levels .. does yours show 1.0, 2.0 or 4.0V on the LED display? The M2Tech has about 2.65V rms which might account for the difference in output levels and why you have to adjust the volume on the Jadis.

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
acalex said:

It's been on my "Bucket List" for some time. I will expect an audiophile and gastronomic tour of the very finest that Belgium has to offer!! 8).....as well as meeting the Brussels Massive for an "excellent adventure". :dance:

How I see the trip would be something like this

- Pick up at local airport of Brussels and welcome with a full italian home-made meal with some pasta, meat/fish, homemade dessert (tiramusu), lot of great italian wine and of course espresso coffee from moka machine.

- Good listening of local systems (Jadis +SF at mine and AMS + Avalon at Roby's)

- Trip to our Audio Nirvana shop, where we could arrange a dream demo with a full reference Audio Research system driving a pair of Sonus Faber Amati Futura graphite or eventually the SF Stradivari Palladio edition (last pair available worldwide :D).

- Enjoying Belgian specialties like beer, moules frites, gauffres, carbonnade... ;)

- The best eat-out italian restaurant in Brussels (by far) with eventually nice Jazz concert in my favorite venue in Bx

Just got started... :cheers:

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
tino said:
The Wadia has adjustable output levels .. does yours show 1.0, 2.0 or 4.0V on the LED display? The M2Tech has about 2.65V rms which might account for the difference in output levels and why you have to adjust the volume on the Jadis.

Nope, just a volume label with 6 blue leds...I put it on MAX volume (so all 6 leds on)

gregvet

Dec 24, 2008
Visit site
acalex said:
CnoEvil said:
acalex said:

It's been on my "Bucket List" for some time. I will expect an audiophile and gastronomic tour of the very finest that Belgium has to offer!! 8).....as well as meeting the Brussels Massive for an "excellent adventure". :dance:

- Pick up at local airport of Brussels and welcome with a full italian home-made meal with some pasta, meat/fish, homemade dessert (tiramusu), lot of great italian wine and of course espresso coffee from moka machine.

- Good listening of local systems (Jadis +SF at mine and AMS + Avalon at Roby's)

- Trip to our Audio Nirvana shop, where we could arrange a dream demo with a full reference Audio Research system driving a pair of Sonus Faber Amati Futura graphite or eventually the SF Stradivari Palladio edition (last pair available worldwide :D).

- Enjoying Belgian specialties like beer, moules frites, gauffres, carbonnade... ;)

- The best eat-out italian restaurant in Brussels (by far) with eventually nice Jazz concert in my favorite venue in Bx

Can I come too please :cheer:

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
acalex said:

Volume on Wadia is 100%.

Thanks

Nar! get an EMC1UP... no messing about, just take a CD from the case, pop in the machine, press play and sit back to listen to quality... simples... you know it makes sense!

LOL!

Mac

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
gregvet said:

I'll hire a bus, and reservations will need to be made well in advance to avoid disappointment...as this is one of those events that "money can't buy". :grin:

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
acalex said:

That'll do nicely Sir!

A reciprocal arrangement will then have to be forthcoming...provided I can bribe the rather prickly Mrs. Cno. :shifty:

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Macspur said:
Nar! get an EMC1UP... no messing about, just take a CD from the case, pop in the machine, press play and sit back to listen to quality... simples... you know it makes sense!

LOL!

Mac

You're wrong, ya know!! :p

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Macspur said:
CnoEvil said:
acalex said:

Volume on Wadia is 100%.

Thanks

LOL!

Mac

Mac, I really enjoyed the EMC1UP as it's a great cd player and also has the benefit of disappearing compleely when playing...it is also a great object but I am not really sold on CD player as I find much more convenient the streaming...or on the other side playing the vinyls if I want to enjoy the all process :D

But it is indeed a great piece of kit and probably my choice if I would ever buy a CD player ;)

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
gregvet said:

I'll hire a bus, and reservations will need to be made well in advance to avoid disappointment...as this is one of those events that "money can't buy". :grin:

Yes it will be legendary.

I have no problem organizing if we plan all well in advance :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts