Voodoo we just take for granted.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Technology is getting ridiculous. After the recent OS upgrade on my computer, I can actually speak to it and tell it what music to play. If the song or album isn't part of my iTunes library because I haven't bought it and ripped it, the computer will happily stream it from the internet using Apple Music. The thought of being able to do that would have fried my grandparents' brains. I'm still in awe that near enough anything is just out there in internet land, waiting for me to play it, let alone that I can speak to the computer and tell it what to play.

But my kids are like 'meh'. Nothing about technology impresses my kids; they've been brought up in a world where all this voodoo just happens. To an extent, I pity them. They will never know what it's like to be their age, proudly strutting out the computer shop on my 14th birthday with a brand new 16K RAM pack for my ZX81, feeling like I'm about to upgrade it to Server Class, and armed with my new book on Z80A assembly language I was just about ready to take on the world.

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
Technology is getting ridiculous. After the recent OS upgrade on my computer, I can actually speak to it and tell it what music to play. If the song or album isn't part of my iTunes library because I haven't bought it and ripped it, the computer will happily stream it from the internet using Apple Music. The thought of being able to do that would have fried my grandparents' brains. I'm still in awe that near enough anything is just out there in internet land, waiting for me to play it, let alone that I can speak to the computer and tell it what to play.

But my kids are like 'meh'. Nothing about technology impresses my kids; they've been brought up in a world where all this voodoo just happens. To an extent, I pity them. They will never know what it's like to be their age, proudly strutting out the computer shop on my 14th birthday with a brand new 16K RAM pack for my ZX81, feeling like I'm about to upgrade it to Server Class, and armed with my new book on Z80A assembly language I was just about ready to take on the world.

Apple users aren't clever enough to use keyboards. :)

God knows how they'd get on trying to drive a UNIX box....

PS For me, it was University and 6502 (BBC micro) assembler code. Luckily I studied mechanical engineering, not computer science or electronics. And yes, I do own a UNIX box, a Sun Sparcstation 5 I bought in 1995 and used to use for doing freelance finite element analysis work. Haven't switched it on in sixteen years, but it's still in the attic.