Volume Setting on Arcam FMJ A19 Amplifier

Lo Fi

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
I have the above amplifier partnered with an Audiolab 8200CD player and Monitor Audio RX6 speakers.
I find that to get a decent loudness from the speakers on some CDs I need to set the volume control at 50 on the digital readout screen, is this normal. On my last amplifier when the knob was at 10 o'clock it was really loud.

unhalfbricking

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
I don't know if they are directly comparable, but I have to run my A-18 at 50 for one particularly quietly mastered CD ('Rumor and sigh' by Richard Thompson) to get a decent, room-filling volume level. All my other CDs are plenty loud enough at around 38-42.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
It just means your current amplifier volume control has a broader operating range. This is preferable to the alternative, such as in your previous one.

It doesn't mean you have less power but you can operate it in more useful steps.

regards

matthewpiano

Quite normal for Arcam amps. They have very gradual volume controls. Whereas some amps are all out of steam at the 12 o'clock position having given all their power, Arcam amps use much more of the volume control.

unhalfbricking

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
This is a bit 'Nigel Tufnell', but the volume level on my A-18 goes all the way up to 72 -- by which time I would be heard half way across Liverpool. So, at 50 you have plenty left in the locker.

fpeepingtom

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
When I was using speakers (Monitor Audio RX1's) the volume setting was at 25 on my A19 which gave me more than adequate volume in a small/medium sized room. Now I'm using headphones the setting is at 20.

Nicky-Distance

Apr 28, 2013
Visit site
When I demoed the A19 with KEF R500's the readout was in between 40-60 for the records that we were playing. I was also wondering if this was ok or not.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
The volume setting on an amp is absolutely no indication of the the output being used, it is really an indicator of the input level.

Amplifiers have fixed maximumum outputs, a high level input signal, from some CD players for example, needs much less 'gain' to reach maximum output than a lower level signal such as a tuner or phono stage. Hence a high output CD player might sound very loud at 10 o'clock but drive the amplifier into clipping at 12 o'clock whereas a lower output source component might need much higher settings on the same amplifier volume control to reach the same output levels.

It is also the case that many amplifier manufacturers deliberately make their volume controls in such a way that the amplifier gets very loud, very quickly. This may impress the uninformed but is just a con, the amplifier can only produce its maximum output irrespective of the setting of the volume control.

In addition a a more gentle, wide ranging control makes accurate volume setting much easier and eliminates the issue of poor channel balance at low levels that plagues conventional ' ganged' analogue volume pots.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
I ahve an old Arcam and it never sounded harsh even when turning up to full volume, many modern amps seem to go loud quickly but after about 11-12 sound s harsh and dreadful. I think the Arcam approach is good and nothing to worry about. Yes cds do vary in loudness most versions from about 2000 are loud and not so good. Look at DR database for ratings.

azorro

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
I had the same issue when I changed my amp from Rotel to Arcam... But after a while I realized the Arcam volume scale is the best way to gradually adjust the listening volume and now I can't stand anymore the volume knobs giving all the power from 10 to 12... what am I supposed to do with the rest of the knob excursion?

By the way, just a question out of curiosity, can you control the Arcam amp volume using the Audiolab remote? I was thinking to upgrade my CD17 with the Audiolab 8200 and hoping I can still use just one remote control.

Thanks,

Alex

Lo Fi

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
azorro said:
I had the same issue when I changed my amp from Rotel to Arcam... But after a while I realized the Arcam volume scale is the best way to gradually adjust the listening volume and now I can't stand anymore the volume knobs giving all the power from 10 to 12... what am I supposed to do with the rest of the knob excursion?

By the way, just a question out of curiosity, can you control the Arcam amp volume using the Audiolab remote? I was thinking to upgrade my CD17 with the Audiolab 8200 and hoping I can still use just one remote control.

Thanks,

Alex

Thanks for all the replies, I did email support at Arcam and as many of you have said thre is noproblem with the setting at 50 or more.
Yes the Audiolab remote does work the Arcam as well which is very useful as it saves using 2 remotes.

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
unhalfbricking said:
This is a bit 'Nigel Tufnell', but the volume level on my A-18 goes all the way up to 72 -- by which time I would be heard half way across Liverpool. So, at 50 you have plenty left in the locker.

:rofl:

mine definitely goes up to 11 !

btw...anyone heard the new black sabbath album...heard a few tracks in record shop yesterday...sounded awesome. (sorry to deviate).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts