Volume difference AMC vs. Arcam

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I´m wondering a bit about my new change of amp and the output level.

I´m not a master on luring what the exacts specs means for my setup.

The comparisson is between the AMC XIA and Arcam A85

AMC specs:

Input Sensitivity for 1W/Rated Power into 8 ohms:

High level inputs.........................................................................................23mV/150mV

Input impedance:

High level inputs..........................................................................................20K ohms

Tone control range:

Bass at 100Hz......................................................................................................+/-10dB

Treble at 10KHz.................................................................................................-8/+11dB

Overall feedback................................................................................................26/29dB

Signal to noise ratio(ref.1W/8 ohms):

High level inputs "A" WTD.......................................................................................88dB

Phono inputs"A" WTD............................................................................................80dB

Separation 20Hz-20KHz .......................................................................................>65dB

Arcam Specs:

Continuous power output, per channel

Both channels, 8Ω, 20Hz–20kHz 85W

Single channel, 4Ω, 1kHz 140W

Distortion, 8Ω, 80% power, 1kHz 0.005%

Inputs

Line and tape inputs:

Nominal sensitivity 250mV

Input impedance 22kΩ

Signal/noise ratio (CCIR) 105dB

Tone controls, max. boost/cut ±12dB

These are the specs which both look different and sound very different. On my AMC i just needed to turn maybe 1/4 on the volume wheel and then it was really loud on the Arcam i have to turn almost the double of that before getting to same level. My speakers are btw heybrook hb1. Is it because of the db sensitivity?

Mooly

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
The raw numbers seem to show the AMC was more sensitive.

In practice you have nothing to worry about and its impossible to give a definitive answer because it all depends on the gain structure and how the gain is split between the preamp and power amp sections. Having all the "action" occur during the first few degrees of rotation of the volume control is no clue as to how powerful or how loud the amp is and can be detrimental because fine control is less easy.

You have nothing to worry about.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts