Volume Control on Music Fidelity V90-DAC

thewaywewalk

Jun 23, 2016
Visit site
I just bought an Music Fidelity V90-DAC to connect my Smart TV – which I use as a DNLA receiver – to my stereo amp. However I also connected my notebook via USB to the DAC and was surprised, that the volume control of my notebook actually affects the volume on the stereo amp.

How can I imagine that it works? Is the DAC able to control the volume based on the information it gets by the USB? Is there a loss of bit depth? Does it matter what is the output volume of the notebook or should it be maximum? Or does the DAC control the volume after the D/A conversion?

If this works, wouldn’t it make sense to connect the TV via USB to the DAC instead of optical? Could I then control the overall volume via the TV remote?

Thank you! (... and sorry for my english)

thewaywewalk

Jun 23, 2016
Visit site
Alright. For my understanding: The DAC gets a bitstream which is converted to an quasi-analog signal. The input volume shouldn't matter at his point - as 0's and 1's don't have an amplitude, am I right?

Additionally the DAC gets an volume information via USB and reduces the amplitude of the converted bitstream digitally which reduces the bit depth. Means there is no OPV at the end which could do that lossless? Also I assume there is no floating point volume control, how one could find in some pricier Cambridge Audio Devices, which they claim to be lossless?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts