Virtual Height

Sliced Bread

Just wondering whether you guys use up mixers to get Virtual Height and which ones you feel sound the best. I’ve been comparing Dolby Virtual and DTS X Virtual with their base sound tracks in 5.1 and feelings are mixed.

My receiver isn’t properly calibrated yet as I haven’t had time but Dolby Virtual feels a little more natural than DTS Virtual as DTS virtual just seems to move too much information to the rear speakers and also sounds out of phase. Dolby Virtual sounds better but vocals sound a fraction bright compared to the 5.1 mix.

Logic 16 is far more natural and while it fills the room it’s not technically adding the height channels. It has a nice 3D layer but it’s too 3D in that the action feels like it’s in the middle of the room and the seating position rather than on the screen, though this could be due to an uncalibrated system so the rears are too loud..perhaps

I’ll be trying Auro 3D out tomorrow to see how it compares

Sliced Bread

So I’ve now configured the amp but not Dirac. So far Auro 2D to my ears sounds more natural and cinematic than the other modes. It also does a nice job of blending the speakers. Unfortunately Auro 2D does not add virtual heights (Auro 3D uses the heights so you cannot engage it without ceiling speakers) but the Moses I’ve tried with it just didn’t impress me. You hear a slight lift but the sound seems wrong in other ways. I’ll try again once Dirac is complete and try once more.

Sliced Bread

I’m not sure how many people are interested in this, but I’ll keep going :)

I have now finally completed the Dirac setup and applied a Harman curve with a very slight 1db slope from 60 to 25hz.

Dirac has changed thins dramatically to the point where I can say to discard my comments above regarding Dolby Virtual. While the height effect is subtle the sharp top end in was referring too is now gone and the timbre of the soundtrack is excellent. This also allows for the Atmos layer to be accessed with a 5.1 setup and appears to be an improvement to my ears to the standard 5.1 mixes.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts