VIRGIN V BOX

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Not sure where you saw this but it most definitely isn't true. There are some on demand channels showing programmes and films in HD and I think the only broadcast HD channel is BBC HD. Everything else is SD.

A

Anonymous

I phoned Virgin media, perhaps i misunderstood her answer.

A

Anonymous

Can anyone understand the people on the phones at Virgin? Or is it me going deaf?

A

Anonymous

It could be referring to the upscalling that the V+ boxes do? You can set the mode in the settings to 720p (standard or wide) and 1080p (standard and wide) Having the V+ box does mean you can watch the FilmFlex films in HD when they are available which is only about a handful at a time to be fair.

A

Anonymous

I must add that there is some very good content to be had on BBC HD! Planet Earth, Galapagos, Mountain, Heros, Cranford, Jules Holland, etc, etc. Really depends on your interests. Check the BBC HD web site for programming information. You do get the odd football as well. England games are often transmitted as a simulcast. I guess C4HD will also come soon if or when the muppets at Virgin get their act together. All in all I am delighted with my decision to go V+. I don't think their standard box offers all that recording 2 and watching a third channel, or pausing and rewinding live TV, etc. Completely changed my TV viewing. When watching their on-demand movies I chose the HD version wherever available - better sound and PQ (if you have the right kit). Gorge.

A

Anonymous

I've got the V-box and like it. It's noisy- even in standby (like the Sky one, I'm told) but the pix are terrific. Yes, it upscales everything to either 720 or 1080 and that really helps.
On the true HD side, obviously whole messrs Murdoch and Branson indulge in their p***ing contest, we don't get all the HD channels we should, but there is BBCHD (launching as a full channel in April, I think), some FilmFlex on demand movies, and quite a bit of Catch up is HD. Seasons 1 and 2 of LOST in HD, anyone?

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Casca"]Yes, it upscales everything to either 720 or 1080 and that really helps[/quote]

Ahh, I see, that must have been what she meant. Though I think referring to upscaled SD as HD to be a bit cheeky personally, but knowing call centres she probably didn't have any idea what it meant anyway!

A

Anonymous

[quote user="professorhat"]
[quote user="Casca"]Yes, it upscales everything to either 720 or 1080 and that really helps[/quote]

Ahh, I see, that must have been what she meant. Though I think referring to upscaled SD as HD to be a bit cheeky personally, but knowing call centres she probably didn't have any idea what it meant anyway!

[/quote]

True, plus with some of the compression in use a lot of channels still look terrible, ITV is surprisingly bad at times given it's status. BBCHD is quite special though, even if it is 'only' 1080i I believe, pretty sure no channels broadcast in 1080p cables or Sky.. not sure about the ondemand stuff but I reckon most in 720p

A

Anonymous

[quote user="richardjlarby"]Can anyone understand the people on the phones at Virgin? Or is it me going deaf?[/quote]

Agreed !!

I rung up just the other day to upgrade to V+ box which comes tomorrow so looking forward to it immensely. Every time I've spoken to those guys its been a foreigner on the other end. Feels like a Whats your accent lottery !!!!!

What outputs does the V+ box have ??

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Garth81"]Feels like a Whats your accent lottery !!!!![/quote] The engineer that came to fit my box, what am I saying, I had about 5 all in all. Well anyway, they said you will either get Indian or Northern call centres. Then made some sort of remark about understanding either being impossible, or something along those lines.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Garth81"]
What outputs does the V+ box have ??
[/quote]

1xHDMI
1xSCART (+1xSCART Input)
1xOptical Audio
1xComponant
1xCoaxel

There's also an RJ-45 and an eSATA connection, but I don't believe any official use for these as yet.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts