Virgin Superhub 3

RodhasGibson

Oct 10, 2008
Visit site
Very Poor Reviews on Youtube for Virgins Latest.Especially the Setting up very slow and not saving changes etc.Anyone unfortunate enough to have one? Glad i've gone for the BT Smarthub [Homehub 6] which at the moment is trouble free and Fast. Getting 77.86 megs Down and 19.6 up.On Infinity 2.

ukdavej

Oct 12, 2009
Visit site
I've got one and the reports are indeed true. I held out for as long as I could before getting lumbered with one as my old one could not retain its setting for some strange reason which VM could not explain. Im on my second one as the first just didnt work after 2 days, it just went feet up!

I think the wireless is not too great, I seem to need to instigate a reconnect now and again and we were getting to the stage of having to reboot it. As a consequence, we've taken to simply rebooting the thing every week and that seems to be making a difference. One could argue that I shouldnt need to do this and they'd be right but I cannot be @rsed confronting VM.

The reports of the physical speed of the operating system are also bang on. Login takes approx 45 seconds and saving any changes is somewhere between 3 and 5 minutes - it's quite painful!

Ive had cable for donkeys years as my phone line is awful - I still cannot get more than 1.5mb on a standard broadband connection but fibre is now on the cards where I live. Im considering a move to BT as VM has just gone up AGAIN! and I am not getting any more bang for my buck apart from the new Virgin wireless hot spot thing which simply does not work!. BT have some pretty good offers on at present, free BT sport and all that so I may take the plunge

daveh75

Some of the issues are at least down to the Intel Puma SoCs the VM Super Hub use and Intel are preparing to release a F/W update for them.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/12/03/intel_puma_chipset_firmware_fix/

As an aside though, no ISP provides decent Routers (BTs Hubs are probably about the best of a bad lot) and I'd advise replacing them with a decent third party one, in the case of VM you'll still have to use the SH as an modem though.

RodhasGibson

Oct 10, 2008
Visit site
Yes same story wherever you look,glad I chose BT Infinity 2 with Homehub 6 [Smarthub] in the end. Not had to reboot/restart it at all,changes wi fi channel immediately it detects any interference without problems.When my daughters visit their phones etc connect as they walk in the door. plus great coverage over whole house and garden.Had it 6months problem free now,so well pleased.

jjbomber

RodhasGibson said:
Yes same story wherever you look,

No problems at all on mine. Engineer who set it up said it was Hub 2.5, but it's a Hub 3. Maybe he was expecting a complaint before he started. I had to manually set up port forwarding, but everything else is fine. The engineer also said that his time was up before he finished, so I couldn't test it while he was here. We download about 40gb a week, so it's having a good workout, but everything has worked fine so far.

I'm tempting fate here .....

chrisup

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
I have a Virgin Hub 2 and we connect 2 laptops, a gaming desktop with 8 cores, Playstation 4, X Box 2 tb, 3 tablets and 3 Phones are connected to the Hub2. My laptop is in another room and I get 100+ meg down load but my son gets 150+ meg with his gaming deshtop! Virgin in Kidderminster is fabulous! I used to get 1.4 meg with BT they just offered me infinity at 40 meg I told them it was too slow.

Best Wishes

Chris

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts