BT Homehub 5 functionailty with Virgin Superhub

vpacalypse

Feb 22, 2009
Visit site
In theory could the bt homehub 5 be attached to the superhub router from virgin to act as a second router?

I am trying to resolve a Wifi coverage issue for someone where their situation is they have the original (horrible) superhub router from virgin which doesn't spread the signal far enough.

So rather than buying a wifi repeater or something else, he has a neighbour who is very good friends with us on a BT infinity contract. Now he is able to get the Homehub 5 for free if he decides to extend his contract by another 18 months.

However, if he goes along does this...well...will this work?

daveh75 said:
The HH5 is a buggy piece of junk, and they've never been particularly very good routers (just better than the average ISP supplied tat).

By a decent router.

It is hard to ignore all the consistently excellent reviews:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?site=&source=hp&ei=wB1GU4uQG8W6OKi1gcgL&q=bt+home+hub+5+review&oq=&gs_l=mobile-gws-hp.1.0.35i39l3.0.0.0.3861.2.1.1.0.0.0.0.0..0.0....0...1c..40.mobile-gws-hp..1.1.70.3.Zv0zhdAVOmk

Other wireless AC router reviews aren't any better. Besides, the OP is getting it for free, so no harm in trying.

daveh75

Its also hard to ignore the disconnection and reboot issues etc its been plagued with.

It certainly isn't worth getting tied into an 18month contract for.

Also given the number of router vulnerabilities that have been appearing late, and how poor/slow ISPs and vendors are at patching them I'd personally use a router that can run third party f/w.

daveh75 said:
Its also hard to ignore the disconnection and reboot issues etc its been plagued with.

It certainly isn't worth getting tied into an 18month contract for.

Also given the number of router vulnerabilities that have been appearing late, and how poor/slow ISPs and vendors are at patching them I'd personally use a router that can run third party f/w.

You've misread the first post. The OP's friend isn't getting tied to an 18-month contract at all. His neighbour is, who's giving away the router to the OP's friend for free.

daveh75

bigboss said:
You've misread the first post. The OP's friend isn't getting tied to an 18-month contract at all. His neighbour is, who's giving away the router to the OP's friend for free.

No I haven't. Doesn't matter who's contract it is, extending it just to get a HH5 isn't worth it.

Ebays full of HH3 and 4s, (and varoius other routers) that can be picked for peanuts that would be better than the Virgin SH (if the OPs friend can't afford, or is too cheap to buy a decent new router)

vpacalypse

Feb 22, 2009
Visit site
The Neighbour luckily has four months left on the contract.

Bt's policy pertaining to this is 3 Months prior to contract expiration, BT will provide the Hub5 for free in attempt to retain the customer & extend the contract. (12 months vs 18 months extension here).

I've been told a good time to call would be the month prior to expiration where I should look to negotiate a deal (discounts etc. perhaps) & have them throw in the Hub5 right at the end.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts