Virgin HD box

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
My mother-in-law has just bought a new tv (sony 503), and would like to get HD. She's got virgin, and so the cheapest option is to upgrade to their HD box. (No interest in V+HD). I spoke to them earlier and they said it was £49 for the box, but another £20 to deliver it (that seems a little pricey for delivery!). I just wanted to know if there are cheaper ways to get HD from Virgin (it's cable, so freesat, freeview HD aren't options).

Do they respond to the whole - "I could leave you" ruse, or are there other retailers (legally) selling Virgin HD boxes.

thanks Dave et al.

A

Anonymous

Big Aura:

My mother-in-law has just bought a new tv (sony 503), and would like to get HD. She's got virgin, and so the cheapest option is to upgrade to their HD box. (No interest in V+HD). I spoke to them earlier and they said it was £49 for the box, but another £20 to deliver it (that seems a little pricey for delivery!). I just wanted to know if there are cheaper ways to get HD from Virgin (it's cable, so freesat, freeview HD aren't options).

Do they respond to the whole - "I could leave you" ruse, or are there other retailers (legally) selling Virgin HD boxes.

thanks Dave et al.

If she's passed the initial 12 month contract period give Virgin a call and say you are considering leaving because Sky have offered to install their HD setup free of charge
emotion-4.gif
Got to be worth a try, nothing to lose
emotion-4.gif

A

Anonymous

JohnDuncan:Does she have an aerial? Because the 503 has Freeview HD, which has about as much HD content as Virgin does...

Really.... Last time I checked free view HD = 4, virgin HD =17 (ok you have to pay for most) + the on demand HD stuff.

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
no aerial - all she has is a Virgin Cable connection (legacy Telewest connection). It's a block of flats, so limited opportunity to install a dish or aerial - her balcony is tiny and wholly given over to tomato farming....

ukdavej

Oct 12, 2009
Visit site
I'm on XL TV and got a bit miffed as they were offering free box/install to new customers but wanted £49 for me. I complained bitterley and followed it up after a week of no response. I then got a call from a very nice chap who said of course as a valued customer you can have a V+HD box and a free install if you sign for another 12 months. I wasn't going anywhere so took it up.

I'ts pretty good to be fair, the box is responsive and works well. I'm not a huge fan of HD really, I forget I've got it some of the time
emotion-10.gif
and I certainly wouldn't pay extra for it but the +box features are very good

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
made the call - they reduced the monthly charge by £3.50, and waived the delivery charge for the box. Funny - had the not been so keen to charge a £20 courier fee that wasn't mentioned anywhere on their website, we'd have bought the new box last weekend, and Virgin would be £42 better off over the course of a year....

A

Anonymous

I really like my V+HD box and I REALLY like the on demand/catch-up HD material which doesn't seem to be compressed in the same way that HD broadcasts often are. BBC HD is particularly guilty of this.
Don't disregard the on-demand service. It really is worth it.
My only gripe is the smallness of the hard drive - it fills up waaaay too quickly with HD material.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts