Vinyl setup

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

insider9

To my mind amplifiers amplify, detail retrieval is the job of the source.
Doesn't that almost imply that all amps sound the same? And if so, other than current delivery/power and slight tonal differences, why bother upgrading amplification?

If anyone fancies a test get yourself a cheap Cambridge A1 from eBay and compare it to your usual amp with same source. A1 does a fine job but will miss a lot of nuance. I was shocked when I briefly had it how it performed (it's actually quiet enjoyable, but hi-fi it ain't).

Doesn't that almost imply that all amps sound the same? And if so, other than current delivery/power and slight tonal differences, why bother upgrading amplification?

If anyone fancies a test get yourself a cheap Cambridge A1 from eBay and compare it to your usual amp with same source. A1 does a fine job but will miss a lot of nuance. I was shocked when I briefly had it how it performed (it's actually quiet enjoyable, but hi-fi it ain't).
quite possibly but surely you agree that, particularly in a vinyl based system, the nature of the preamplifier is crucial along with the cartridge itself. Yes amplifiers can add 'character ' but they aren't going to miss anything out.

insider9

quite possibly but surely you agree that, particularly in a vinyl based system, the nature of the preamplifier is crucial along with the cartridge itself. Yes amplifiers can add 'character ' but they aren't going to miss anything out.
Agree with the bit in bold.

The last bit... how do you go about explaining differences in detail retrieval in amplification using same source?

The last bit... how do you go about explaining differences in detail retrieval in amplification using same source?
Detail retrieval is not what an amplifier is about, in theory it mearly amplfies the incoming signal and, as the old saying goes, should simply be a 'straight wire with gain ', if it isn't then something is wrong.
If there is any difference in detail it is a failing of the amp in that its adding it's own character, it cannot possibly get more detail out of an incoming signal it is simply the way it presents it.

TrevC

The only detail retrieval in a record playing set up is the stylus tracking the groove, which is why I suggest spending extra on the ML stylus profile AT cartridge. Everything else is tonal differences. If a preamp provides the correct loading and EQ then it will sound right, but quite often even highly regarded preamps don't do the EQ correctly. The Croft for example.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts