Vinyl setup

boffy_12

Jul 28, 2021
Visit site
Hi everyone,

I was looking to make another update to my vinyl player set up. I was hoping to get some advice as to what you would upgrade next for better quality.

At present my set-up consists of the following: - Audio-technica at-lp3
- Wharfdale diamond 9.0 speakers
- Lepy 2020a amplifier

Any advice would be taken on board.

Daniel

I don't know anything about your amplifier but I do know the speakers and turntable.
What is your budget?
As with any analogue set-up the source should be where you look first so upgrade the cartridge or turntable itself would be my opinion.
The cartridge you probably have fitted at the moment is a cheap one at £25. Change this first.
Then, as I have just googled your amplifier, change that next......

Reactions: boffy_12

boffy_12

Jul 28, 2021
Visit site
I don't know anything about your amplifier but I do know the speakers and turntable.
What is your budget?
As with any analogue set-up the source should be where you look first so upgrade the cartridge or turntable itself would be my opinion.
The cartridge you probably have fitted at the moment is a cheap one at £25. Change this first.
Then, as I have just googled your amplifier, change that next......

Many thanks for your response. I am budget limited and wanted to spend around another £100 to upgrade something for now. I am still a novice when it comes to set-ups so I appreciate your input.

aversaurus

Hi swop the amplifier for a Fatman itube and just love the difference .then swop the valves at audio Zumba for 1960,s nos russian valves and be amazed .with a bit of luck on eBay whole thing round £120

Gray

Gray

Hi everyone,

I was looking to make another update to my vinyl player set up. I was hoping to get some advice as to what you would upgrade next for better quality.

At present my set-up consists of the following: - Audio-technica at-lp3
- Wharfdale diamond 9.0 speakers
- Lepy 2020a amplifier

Any advice would be taken on board.

Daniel
I've bought 3 of those Lepy amps Daniel - and they certainly don't sound as cheap as they look ;)
One of mine was 15 quid.....I think some owners of 'proper' amps might be surprised to hear it.

As Al said above, try a new cartridge first, then think about upgrading the amp.
(I've just changed from the AT95E to the VM95E. It's a very modest cartridge, but excellent value at £40).

Reactions: boffy_12
I've bought 3 of those Lepy amps Daniel - and they certainly don't sound as cheap as they look ;)
One of mine was 15 quid.....I think some owners of 'proper' amps might be surprised to hear it.

As Al said above, try a new cartridge first, then think about upgrading the amp.
(I've just changed from the AT95E to the VM95E. It's a very modest cartridge, but excellent value at £40).
I forgot that one...

Reactions: Gray

rainsoothe

How much would the VM95e ML set one back?
EDIT: even though it would make way more sense to get the VM95E and start saving for something like a Rega Io, or some vintage amp.

Last edited:

boffy_12

Jul 28, 2021
Visit site

Thanks for your input. Do you think I will hear a difference between my current cartridge the AT91r and the VM95R if I were to upgrade to this?

insider9

I appreciate that upgrading a cart is generally where a lot of gains can be had but are you guys/girls sure that the amp can reproduce the extra resolution? Would be a silly thing to do for sake of tonality change but no extra detail because amp isn't capable. Particularly as same money could be spent on a better amplifier.

I appreciate that upgrading a cart is generally where a lot of gains can be had but are you guys/girls sure that the amp can reproduce the extra resolution? Would be a silly thing to do for sake of tonality change but no extra detail because amp isn't capable. Particularly as same money could be spent on a better amplifier.
it could, but then you'll simply have a better amplifier trying to amplify a poor input.
I don't know the quality of that amp but personally believe he will have to change both to see a significant improvement. As I have always stated you cannot get a good vinyl system in a limited budget, you can however improve it starting at the source. The cost of new vinyl makes me wonder on why you'd attempt it in the first place.
And no, I am not being snobbish, it is just that economically it does not make sense when the cost of two new L Ps can be more than the cartridge suggested and nearly the price of his amp.

Last edited:
for me, the wharfdales are probably the only thing i'd hold onto. (short term)
if you want better, you need to spend.
firstly, get a second hand Arcam amp, with a built in phono stage.
then, bin the turntable when funds permit.
keep the cartridge as a spare, they do sound quite good despite the price.
if hifi is something you enjoy, then save up. cheap hifi sounds exactly that. cheap.
my next bit of advice is a little harder to achieve , go listen to some setups. whether its at your nearest hifi shop, or a friends, or wherever, get some experience of what decent kit can sound like. only then will you get an idea of what you can have.

Reactions: Gray

Gray

Thanks for your input. Do you think I will hear a difference between my current cartridge the AT91r and the VM95R if I were to upgrade to this?
I'm not familiar with the sound of the AT91 Daniel - but with the VM95E you would be getting an elliptical stylus, whereas on the AT91 you've got a conical one.
I'd say that the combination of stylus and generator change would give you an improvement.
Importantly though, it wouldn't be money wasted as it could be used on any future turntable upgrade, with or without a better stylus (directly swappable on the original body).

Not sure how much vinyl you've got / how much you intend to buy - or indeed how much better you'd like it all to sound.
But I'm sure you know that, as things stand, what you've got is about the cheapest way of adequately hearing it - hearing its full potential would involve a system change and would necessarily be expensive.

Think about a new amp. You could get one with a decent built-in phono preamp. It would expand your input options too (to include sources that can beat your vinyl performance for much less financial outlay).

EDIT: While I was typing this, Bigfish posted above with some sensible advice. Personally, I wouldn't choose Arcam, but it is all personal and that's where listening comes in.
Also, I wasn't horrible enough to tell you to bin the TT :LOL: but he's probably right (y)

Last edited:

TrevC

Maybe the dealer was talking about current delivery, which can easily be interpreted as having a discussion about power.
No, the cartridge will bring your LPs closer to to the distortion level of CD. I don't see what the amplifier has to do with it.

D

Deleted member 116933

Do both the a nice second hand rotel ra 971 for example 60quid on the big E and then the at95e cart ( is that correct model number)

Then sell the other bits you have spare

Should set you back around 100quid in total if you’re patient job done. And the rotel will have a decent phono stage as well.

Just my thoughts

Gray

Again, I can only add that:
In a small enough space, at realistic volume, his current 'power' amp will be compromising his overall SQ a lot less than its ridiculously low price might suggest to owners of 'proper' amps.

Last edited:
Reactions: Al ears

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts