Vintage vs Modern

As some of you will know I love old Pioneer amps from the 1970s and 80s. I owned a SA-706 which I kept for 17 years. Loved the character and the dancing VU wattage meters. Not saying all old Pioneer amps were top notch, they produced some real plumbs but...

I could die for something like this.

1613647722241.png

Even if they were just a statement piece, what a sassy looking amp.

Add in the ludicrous cost of a well-sorted version, would it sound better than equivalent modern midrange amp? I doubt it.

There are many others such as Marantz, JVC, Sansui etc etc...

Lots of boys toys knobs.

1613648065528.png

Discuss.

Gray

They loved their knobs and switches back then.
The signal gets a much cleaner journey through modern stuff.
I do think they look great though (that florescent display on the Pioneer must have seemed comparitively modern).

As a bit of a hoarder, I hate to think what has been dumped.

D

Deleted member 116933

I prefer the look of and Sansui leak and Sugden but I get the appeal they have certain sound that just isn't available today outside of few brands that are still around pretty much making the same things eg suggies

D

Deleted member 160668

I'm loving my recent purchase, a Sugden A21 Signature.

Clean looking, minimalist and old-school. Considering the design has barely changed, I believe, since it was originally created it sounds awesome. It has just dethroned my A39 in the main rig.

Clean looking, minimalist and old-school. Considering the design has barely changed, I believe, since it was originally created it sounds awesome. It has just dethroned my A39 in the main rig.
Good stuff. Yes, like Electrocompaniet, Sugden tend not to change too much, although I'm sure they've tweaked the sound over the years.

rainsoothe

I'm a sucker for them old school, white background, light orange lit VU meters (as opposed to the macintosh style - although on Accuphase they look great). If only Naim had them ... Or Yamaha amps sounded like Naim :)

matthewpiano

I've got a fully serviced 1974 Sony TA1130 integrated in storage upstairs, and it's certainly got lots of visual charm. It's beautifully built and has plenty of controls to play with.

Sound wise it has real charm, but it doesn't mix it with a good modern integrated when it comes to more complex music.

D

Deleted member 160668

I wondered why your A39 is for sale. Sugden design is rather elegant, isn’t it?
Having been a bit of a box swapper in recent years I think I've landed on my keeper set and the hunt may finally be over.

I've picked up a super-modded Jolida FX valve DAC and in combo with the Suggie and PMC's is absolutely outstanding imo. Breathtaking.

So musical and like the singer is in the room with me. I am a very happy me 👍

And that's taking nothing from the A39, that too is a really great amp, but this is an excellent amp, that paints musical pictures in my living room.

Reactions: nopiano

matthewpiano

Interesting. I'm planning a clear out, and he A21 Sig is on my radar. I've loved the sound every time I've heard Sugden amplification, and I like the idea that it's beautifully built and pretty much endlessly serviceable. I'm not a fan of amps that are stuffed with digital features and firmware. This with ProAc Tablette 10s, Russell K Red 50s or ATC SCM11s is a strong possibility. If I could find a good pair of PMC DB1i they would also be very tempting.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts