Question Vintage Rega Planar 2 Voltage

muzzzzzzz

Jun 9, 2024
Visit site
Hi everyone, new user but long time lurker here. My wife had very generously gifted me an old Rega Planar 2, the model with the wooden border around the plinth and the R200 tonearm. Identical to the one shown here: https://liquidaudio.com.au/classic-rega-planar-2-turntable-repair-overhaul/

Through some questionable interactions with the previous owner, I’m not sure if it’s expecting USA mains power or UK. We live in Ireland so have the same voltage and frequency as the UK. If it’s expecting a USA input, I have a transformer and can source a 50hz pulley.

Just wondering how you could tell for certain if it’s set up for which voltage? Can’t seem to find any documents or pictures of the motor online.

Minkey1

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
Good luck with your wonderful gift!

Is there no visible serial number anywhere, underneath or inside? With it Rega.co.uk could doubtless identify the market it was made for, tho strangely they don’t seem to have a “Contact Us” link 🤔

Reactions: Gray

Minkey1

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
Quite a few companies now don't encourage direct contact. But Rega were way ahead of the trend.

They've always marched to their own drum (I worked there for a while).
Really? They’re not on X either. A willingness to keep their end users at such a distance suggests a degree of hauteur. Fortunately I’m a pleb so unlikely to be troubling them.

Reactions: Gray and Al ears
Really? They’re not on X either. A willingness to keep their end users at such a distance suggests a degree of hauteur. Fortunately I’m a pleb so unlikely to be troubling them.
Certainly looks like they prefer their dealers to handle enquiries....., not necessarily a good thing.
Oh! For what it's worth they are on X as Rega Research Ltd., and Instagram

Reactions: Minkey1 and Gray

Gray

Open it up? Don't you just need to turn it upside down?
Anyway if OP has a transformer could he not simply connect that, assume it's American voltage setup, and see what speed it rotates at?
I see the P2 uses a transformer (for a 24 volt AC motor).
I was thinking the old model the OP has might take mains direct - but I don't know 🤔

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts