Vintage Receiver Pre-Out to Active Sub-Woofer Problem

timbo jeep

Aug 7, 2014
Visit site
Hello, looking for some assistance please.

I have recently purchased a vintage Kenwood KR10000II receiver, sounds superb; currently playing through some wall mounted Dali Mentor Menuets.

In an attempt to beef up the bass, I am trying to hook the receiver up to a Monitor Audio R360HD active sub-woofer. I have removed the metal ‘jumpers’ from the back of the receiver (which connect the pre-out to power in) and connected a couple of RCA cables from the ‘pre-out’ L & R on the receiver to the L & R input on the sub.

When I make these connections the sound stops coming from the Dali’s, and no sound comes from the sub (which I have set all the controls to ‘normal’ settings)

Can I anyone please advise what I may be doing wrong?

James7

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Disconnecting the pre and power sections would explain why the Dalis are no longer producing sound. Why the sub isn't working though I have no idea. Does the sub allow for speaker cable connection, with a pass through to then connect your speakers? Many do and that may be the way to go.

timbo jeep

Aug 7, 2014
Visit site
Hello James, thanks for your reply, I did wonder if removing the 'jumpers' was the reason for the Dalis going silent, but of course if I replace them then I'll need to connect the sub elsewhere (is there another option?), unless there's some fancy type connector I'm not aware of?

Unfortunatley the only inputs (or outputs...) on the sub are the L & R RCA's so no pass thru option I'm afraid ... :-(

eggontoast

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
If there's room you could plug two of these into the preamp L&R outputs, then run one cable to the power amp inputs and another to the sub. Repeat for left and right however, your sub should be working if you've connected it to the preouts already.

Plug a phono cable into the subwoofer with it switched on and touch the other end of the cable with your thumb and see if it is working, it should make a BRRRR noise when you touch it.

timbo jeep

Aug 7, 2014
Visit site
Excellent, thanks E-o-T, the Kenwood is quite a monster so would hope that a couple of these should fit, will have a look tonight and order a couple, and also try the BRRR test on the sub to ensure that's functioning properly.

Thanks again.

tomlinscote

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
If the rca splitters don't fit onto the back of the Kenwood then fit them onto the sub then run a pair of rca cables from the preout of the Kenwood to the splitters on the sub and a return pair of cables from the splitters back to the power in on the Kenwood. Set the volume on the sub to about half way and the frequency control to say 80 or 100 Hz then all should be fine. I would, for test purposes, turn the auto power switch to off so the sub is always on, then once all is well turn it back to auto so it only comes on when the Kenwood sends it a signal.

timbo jeep

Aug 7, 2014
Visit site
That's another good option (and one I can understand...), having always been someone who liked to figure out challenges on my own, the advice from you guys has been really clear and helpful and will hopefully mean I can spend more time listening and less time pondering!

Cheers

eggontoast

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Probably not the best option to run your preamp signal to the sub and back again. There are other cables available such as these or these, just do a search for phono splitters to see whats best or if your handy with a soldering iron just buy the parts and make a couple.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts