Vintage Pioneer SA 5500 II integrated amp

Goldsmith

Jul 10, 2008
Visit site
Greeting forum members !

Chanced upon a Vintage Pioneer SA-5500 II amplifier available for approx GBP85.00 equivalent (on E-bay). Is it worth the money for a 15 yrs old example? Will I be able to use it with my Marantz 5001 cd player ? Appreciate all info I can get. The current user whom I spoke to over the phone was not clear about the power rating ie how many watts etc but said he has been using it with tower sprakers( unspecified) and they worked very well. I may not be able to audition this amp before purchase. Has anyone heard this amp before?Thanks

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
2 x 15W in to 8 ohms. You can download the user manual here. Chances are he's bought it and simply selling it on which is why he's so vague.

T

the record spot

Yeah, 15 years and then some. Try mid to late 70s I think. Ask if it's had a service, been cleaned up or if it's got any crackle or anything that might suggest needing more work. The price isn't bad, but at the higher end for what it is. Depends on condition though.

stevieg330

May 6, 2005
Visit site
Hi,

I had, until recently, an SA-510 Pioneer amp which I guess could be similar to the the SA-5500 II (although it was 33 watts per channel rather than 15) and it was ok driving my MA RX6's but didn't really have the oompf to properly control the bass. However the sound quality, ignoring the slightly flabby bass, was very good.

I think how good it will be depends very much on what speakers you are going to use with it. With only 15 watts on tap they would need to be pretty efficient and have benign impedance characteristics but if that was all ok I would say it should be fine and produce some excellent sounds (if my 510 was anything to go by) albeit not of the room shaking variety.

just be aware that some of the parts (caps especially) will be getting on now and could be pretty close to the end of their working lives. I had to replace some of the electrolytics and a couple of power transistors on mine before it worked properly.

Have to say imho £85 is a bit much to pay unless it has been recapped but I do know these old Pioneers sometimes go for lots of money.

That's my opionion for what it's worth.

HTH

Regards

Steve

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
stevieg330 said:
Hi,

I had, until recently, an SA-510 Pioneer amp which I guess could be similar to the the SA-5500 II (although it was 33 watts per channel rather than 15) and it was ok driving my MA RX6's but didn't really have the oompf to properly control the bass. However the sound quality, ignoring the slightly flabby bass, was very good.

I think how good it will be depends very much on what speakers you are going to use with it. With only 15 watts on tap they would need to be pretty efficient and have benign impedance characteristics but if that was all ok I would say it should be fine and produce some excellent sounds (if my 510 was anything to go by) albeit not of the room shaking variety.

just be aware that some of the parts (caps especially) will be getting on now and could be pretty close to the end of their working lives. I had to replace some of the electrolytics and a couple of power transistors on mine before it worked properly.

Have to say imho £85 is a bit much to pay unless it has been recapped but I do know these old Pioneers sometimes go for lots of money.

That's my opionion for what it's worth.

HTH

Regards

Steve

Reads like good advise

regards

TRENDING THREADS