Viewing distance for SD CONTENT ON 46HX853/ GT50

Skiman

Nov 1, 2008
Visit site
Hi all,

I am considering purchasing either of the two displays mentioned in the title but would like to hear from anyone who can comment on the SD picture quality from a viewing distance of 2.4 metres.

With my current TV (all viewed via Sky HD box) the lower quality HD channels are soft and shimmery with pixellation evident in darker areas. BBC 1 local news on SD is absolutely awful - washed out, grainy and almost unwatchable. Higher quality HD braodcasts are very good but I do get blocking in dark areas which I believe is due to the TV specifications rather than the signal.

Bluray pictures are generally very good - some bloking/picture noise noticeable on Firefly and The Expendables discs however animated dics are excellent.

What I'm seeking opinions on is the quality of dodgy source material on these 2 displays and the off axis picture quality which is pretty awful on my current TV.

Any comments gratefully received.

Thanks

Stefan

D

Deleted member 2457

Skiman said:
Hi all,

I am considering purchasing either of the two displays mentioned in the title but would like to hear from anyone who can comment on the SD picture quality from a viewing distance of 2.4 metres.

With my current TV (all viewed via Sky HD box) the lower quality HD channels are soft and shimmery with pixellation evident in darker areas. BBC 1 local news on SD is absolutely awful - washed out, grainy and almost unwatchable. Higher quality HD braodcasts are very good but I do get blocking in dark areas which I believe is due to the TV specifications rather than the signal.

Bluray pictures are generally very good - some bloking/picture noise noticeable on Firefly and The Expendables discs however animated dics are excellent.

What I'm seeking opinions on is the quality of dodgy source material on these 2 displays and the off axis picture quality which is pretty awful on my current TV.

Any comments gratefully received.

Thanks

Stefan

Hi

One thing I have noticed about my GT50 is how good the picture is when up close. It is one of the best I have seen, SD quality is really good - no complaints from me. And I am happy to watch football on SD or HD, it doesn't matter to me. I am about 3 metres back but I would still purchase this TV for 2.4 metres. WHF recommend 2.1 metres to buy a 50 inch, so you should be more than fine.

Skiman

Nov 1, 2008
Visit site
Hi there,

Thanks for the quick reply. That is the exactly the kind of information I'm looking for.

1 point for Panasonic then.

Cheers

Stefan

TRENDING THREADS