video upscaling importance

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
what's the importance of video upscaling? onkyo's tx-sr606 has this features while yamaha's dsp-ax763 has none. But as I have read the reviews, all are in favor of the yamaha. Is video scaling not that important? Does it only works on HD DVD's and Blueray? I'm not really familiar with this, please enlighten me.

Thanks very much guys!

mattjax05

Oct 5, 2007
Visit site
Video scaling is the process of taking a lower resolution signal (say standard definition tv viewing) scaling it and outputting a higher resolution signal (usually 1080i/1080p)

While it is important to have a good scaler for lower resolutions signals, most HDMI equipment have scalers already and handle the scaling just as good if not better (blu ray players, lcd/plasma tv's etc) so its not a necessity to have this on the amp. Blu ray and HD dvds carry 1080 resolution signals so no scaling needs to be done.

mattjax05

Oct 5, 2007
Visit site
By the way, I have the Yahama 763 and its fantastic - I let my Sky HD box handle the scaling of standard definition tv, I would happily recommend this amplifier.

A

Anonymous

So meaning, if my dvd player is capable of producing the 1080p resolution, theres no need for the upscaler in the ampli? Am I right?

A

Anonymous

thanks mattjax05!

So meaning, If my dvd player can produce a 1080p resolution, it means that the upscaler in the receiver is useless?

Is this right? Thanks!

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
Tho your DVD player is capible of upscaling to 1080p it is not nessercery for you amp to also feature such features, but the quality of the upscaling from any peice of equipment can differ vastly dependant upon which chipset that component uses to upscale. Technically there is no need for any upscaling for any single peice of equipment as you HD screen will automatically upscale any incoming resolution to match that of your TV.

mattjax05

Oct 5, 2007
Visit site
Yes - If you send a 1080 signal from the dvd player the receiver will effectively just pass this signal on to the tv, the scaler in the receiver would not be used. If you feel that you would never need the scaler in the receiver I would get the Yahama, I didn't need it but I did need pre-outs so I went for the Yamaha.

A

Anonymous

Yeah what the abouve have said! Not entirely relative but the scaler in my onk 875 is better than the scaling in the sky box or my TV, So id suggest it depends on the quality of your tv and DVD player as to wether you need an upscaling amp

mattjax05

Oct 5, 2007
Visit site
Emanz go for the Yamaha and reap all the benefits of this bargain of the year, let the scaling take place in your dvd player - purchasing the Onkyo on the basis of having a scaler (which may or may not be better than your current scaler) is not justifiable. In any case the difference would be immaterial.

A

Anonymous

Why would the difference be immaterial??? might as well say the fact that the yam sounds better (matter of opinion)is immaterial depends on where your priorites lie

A

Anonymous

Hi i have just purchased one of the yamaha dsp-ax763 and i am waiting on my bd-55 to arive! I have also ordered some kef 3005se's. I will hopefully getting a samsung series 9 46" or a Sony z4500 46". This upscaling issue which i over looked will not affect the performance of my setup will it? i also plan on putting my sky hd and 360 elite through this system.

Thanks.

mattjax05

Oct 5, 2007
Visit site
That' not a very good analogy... your main priority when purchasing an AV is the sound reproduction. I was merely stating that on a £400 AV I can't imagine the scaler would be beneficially noticeable to the extent of paying an extra £100 over the Yamaha. I should have been more precise in my post, sorry.

mattjax05

Oct 5, 2007
Visit site
Jonny, you won't have a problem as you can let the bd-55 (when watching dvds) and the sky HD (when watching standard definition) scale the signal. The blu-ray discs will of course carry a 1080 signal anyway so no scaling needed.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts